Buffalobob

Buffalobob

Just a note to let everyone know I am still alive. My bowhunting trip for deer and elk to Boulder Mtn, Utah finally happened. The weather was miserable and rained a lot so I got very little hunting done. Very nice bucks were seen before open day but they had checked the game regs and were watching the calendar and went into hiding after that. Elk were seen and bad luck ensued with that also. The neighborhood bear did not bother me so I was fortunate in that respect. Despite all of the rain I am going to go back and try it again next year.

A consulting contract came into being for me and I had to come home to DC and forego three antelope permits and a rifle cow elk permit. Life is about doing what you have said you will do and then doing what you enjoy once those things are done so I have no regrets over the lost hunting opportunities.

Here is a picture of some deer I saw before the season opened and a video of the local bear.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzjmWNkUL4Q&feature=c4-overview&list=UUgYpXTM8EypQRgbUh-rhgVg]Boulder Mtn bear - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• 4pt-boulder (2).jpg
    4pt-boulder (2).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 58
  • bucks- boulder (3).jpg
    bucks- boulder (3).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 52
  • bucks- boulder (4).jpg
    bucks- boulder (4).jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 61
Once the consulting contract was under control and on schedule I got some time to hunt deer in Maryland.
So, I went hunting last Saturday, the first day of the Maryland rifle deer season and saw a dozen or so does but nothing with horns. I went back again yesterday and there were no deer moving at all until about 2:30 in the afternoon whenI saw my first deer and it was a very nice seven point buck. The shot was only 317 yards. I climbed the mountain and found it and rolled it downhill and then went to the truck and got the deer cart and had it loaded in the truck right as it got completely dark.
The rifle is 40X in 308 and I was using a Berger 155.5 which worked very well. I was pleased with the bullet performance.

Attachments

• Buck2013 (1).jpg
    Buck2013 (1).jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Buck2013 (4).jpg
    Buck2013 (4).jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Buck2013 (5).jpg
    Buck2013 (5).jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 69
Glad you made it back, that's why so many of our ancestors starved and why we call it "hunting" instead of "shooting".

Hard to say for sure that looks like an extremely large sow black bear or a large male with a small head. I've only had one close encounter with a bear and he left a lasting impression on me to say the least.

Nice deer, unfortunately they don't tend to get that large being stupid. The old one's seem to smell opening day.

Sorry the animals and weather did not cooperate on your hunt out west. Glad you got in some time away and are going to hit it again next year! Hope you have much better luck next time out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.