Budget hunting scope recommendation

I have Leopolds,,, Bushnells, Weavers,,, Nikons,,, Votexs,,, Sightrons,,,, I like them all,,, some of them are mid pricey,,, so my go to clear hunting optic is a Nikon Monarch,,, first up before the sun comes up,,, and the last out till the sun goes down.

A person won't know this till they see it for them selves.

I like the no fault warranty as I haven't had to use it yet,,, 5 hard years on it so far,,, lots of exterior damage as it still holds zero in dial up & down...

It was more funds for it then the frugal 3x9 Leopold optic,,, alot less then my 6-20

Go look threw a bunch of different brands to see what's out there.

I recently picked up a used vortex diamondback hp 4-16x42 for $175. It is an awesome scope. If you are willing to go used - which with vortex there is no risk imo because of their warranty, you can get a killer deal.
have same one. will buy another when I need another. parallax adjustment is responsive and reticle Is good.

I'd go with a Leupold VX-1 with either duplex or LR Duplex reticle. On a sale he might even get a VX-2. Very bright, rock solid, waterproof and their lifetime guarantee is top shelf.

have same one. will buy another when I need another. parallax adjustment is responsive and reticle Is good.

Yeah, I was told the hp version uses viper glass, just the 1" tube. I didnt verify that, but the glass is significantly better than a regular diamondback scope

Last edited:
I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire, Prostaff 5, Monarch, and Monarch 5. They all have done a great job for what I need them to do. Probably my favorite is my 2.5-10x Monarch with BDC.

I much prefer low priced Leupolds over lower priced vortex & nikons

Vx1/American marksman/vx2

Not American rifleman w/friction turrets

It's amazing how good some of these budget optics have gotten.

3-9's: It's hard to beat a Leupold VX1 or a Nikon Prostaff for $150-200

But I recently got a Bushnell Trophy Xtreme 2.5-15x50 on sale for around $200 on Optics Planet. I expected very little from the optic. It has a 6x focal range, side parallax, and illuminated BDC reticle. I figured something has to give...it's a Bushnell after all.

I'm telling you, it's an AMAZING scope for the money. I put it on a cheap beater Browning AB3 270 I paid $299 for. It's also the most useful focal range scope I own.

I also recently bought a 3-21x50mm Cabelas Covenant FFP 7. It's more expensive at $400. They have cheaper options. Again, I assumed it would be garbage...but it's really impressive. I really cannot believe how good these optics are.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.