BSA Optics?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by The Trinity Kid, Aug 11, 2015.

1. The Trinity Kid

The Trinity Kid Well-Known Member

Good day all,

As some may know, I'm in the process of building an AR-15. My plan is to build the cheapest MK-12/ M4 SPR clone possible. Right now, I've got a PSA upper. As soon as my next check arrives in the mail, I'll be picking up a lower (probably a Frontier Armory LW-15), a BCG, and a scope. Which brings me to the topic on hand.

Does anyone have any experience with BSA glass? I'm thinking about buying their 2-7x32 Tactical Weapon scope(on optics planet, it's listed as item #TW223-27X32CP). It has Mil-dots, and is fog-proof, shock proof etc. and is only $80.

Is this a good scope? For the price, it fits well with my "cheap SPR" thing. Anything helps!

--TK

2. huntsman22

huntsman22 Well-Known Member

with that choice, think BUIS......

3. The Trinity Kid

Why would I need to think about the BUIS?

I suppose now would be a good time to mention that I am mounting my scope on top of the carry handle/rear sight. And the mounts I'm getting allow the iron sights to be used.

--TK

4. huntsman22

huntsman22 Well-Known Member

you'll need the irons when the scope fails.

Not a matter of 'if', but 'when'.......

5. The Trinity Kid

Really? A lot of the stuff I've read has said BSA makes good products. "When" it fails, what will it be? losing zero? glass breaking? turrets falling off?

I mean, I'm going to be using it for paper-punching and dirt-napping coyotes, not helicopter sniping in Afghanistan, so it won't be getting large amounts of bumping around...

--TK

6. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

I have a co-worker that has one on his 17HMR. I can honestly say that it is the darkest, grayest, dullest glass I have ever looked through.

Chris

7. ZSteinle

ZSteinle Well-Known Member

buddy got a used rifle with one on it. 300 WSM. He had no intention of keeping the scope but we went out and shot it anyway with the scope on. After about 10 shots the objective lens fell out.

8. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Just get one and try it. My brother in law has one on a Savage 10 .243, its one of the most accurate rifles we have in our stable. Your only out 80$ if it fails, or if you don't like it and have a nephew, he will be ecstatic when you give it to him for his air rifle...ask me how I know this.

9. The Trinity Kid

Okay, so there seems to be a general leaning towards "something else" here. On that note, what other inexpensive optics would you all suggest? I've used TASCO optics before, both a 4x30, and currently have a 3-9x40 on my mother's 270. They seem pretty clear, but they don't really make a "tactical" scope that is variable power.
    I didn't mention it earlier, but variable power is kind of important to me. You know, for those shots where a coyote makes a surprise appearance at 20 feet, and 2x is enough. But also for those shots where on hangs up at 400yards, and higher magnification is helpful in distinguishing between dog and log.

So, any suggestions?

--TK