Browning XBolts

Takem406

Just looking for some honest feedback on them. They make a few lefty rifles and I'd like to perhaps gift one to my dad. He's wanting a 7 mag and has never had a bolt rifle. It would be a general western big game rifle.
How's accuracy and over all quality?
Thanks boys.

Can't speak to the X-bolt, but I have owned three A-bolts (still have one in 300 WSM). Most A-Bolts seem to have terrific out-of-the-box accuracy. These rifles are prized for their light weight handling abilities. This is due in part to their barrels. They tend to be shorter and thinner in diameter, which ultimately effects accuracy. My first to shots are always touching. Depending on how hot the caliber is, the third may also land extremely close. But the fourth has always been wild for me, regardless which a-Bolt I am shooting. Stick with 2 to 3 shots and you will have a great hunting rig out to 600 yds. or so with the stock barrel.

Oh yeah, hard to beat the 700, I own two myself (Yeah I'm slacking I need a few more!). My VSF is lights out accurate!
I just wondering in these rifles because I haven't seen many people shooting them. I can get a better deal on Brownings over Remington, so that's a factor. Maybe they are a sleeper? I see they have a few nice looking long range rigs available. Also the 26 Nosler...
Think the problem is there a lot of great out of the box mid price point rifles out there, the market seems flooded almost

I think the X Bolt is a great rifle. I have a Stainless Hunter in 25-06 and Stainless Stalker in 338 WM. Both shoot great (and look great too). Are there better options out there? Probably. I don't think you can go wrong with one though.

I bought my daughter an X Bolt micro in 243 for her 12th birthday. I had previously been a 700 fan, but I was not impressed by the 700 youth guns, and the Browning X Bolt micro was perfectly sized; between a youth and full size rifle.

As this was the first 243 i had to load for, my neighbor gave me a set of Pacific Tool 243 dies and I bought 3 boxes of cheap Federal 100 gr soft points at Walmart for the brass. I was quite pleased when sighting in the scope (vari X 3 2.5-8) to see 3 shot groups of 3/4" at 100 yds. I never even bothered to load for this rifle; it would be hard to improve on that.

I'm generally not a fan of Asian products, but I have been very happy with the X Bolt. Accuracy is great, trigger is very good, wood is very nice. If your thinking of an X Bolt, I'd recommend it, based on my limited, but positive experience.

We have two left handed ones at my house. My wife's is a micro hunter in 7mm-08. Mine is the hunter in 25-06. Both are 1/2 MOA with hand loads right out of the box. Love the triggers. Another thing a lot of hand loaders complain about in other brands is not being able to seat a bullet touching the rifling and still feed out of the magazine. You won't have that problem with the Xbolt. There's a ton of room in both of our magazines to make loads as long as you want. I shoot Berger VLD's in the 25-06 seated into the lands.

I have an Xbolt Eclipse Hunter 270wsm and I couldnt be happier with a factory rifle. After barrel break in it shot .57" 3 shot group with factory ammo. Not bad for an off the shelf rig. IMO its the perfect hunting rifle. Lightweight, handles great and very accurate. Im a Rem 700 fanatic but this little rifle is hard to beat.

I won a 300 win mag x-bolt at an RMEF dinner a few years back. At first, I liked it for accuracy and weight. However, first hunting trip out the magazine fell out going through brush and I didn't notice until I was already back at the trailhead. Upon further inspection, the plastic detach clip relaeses with the slightest disturbance. Had to put a piece of tape across it to ensure it wouldn't fall out. Then, it struggled to feed consistently through the in-line feeding mag, resulting in a missed mule deer follow up shot. There is actually a screw on the mag that adjusts tension, indicating a design flaw in the mag originally. Finally, it has already shown throat erosion after only 200 rounds shooting 180 accubonds and mild 7828 loads. Conclusion, might be a good bench gun, but not durable enough for hunting elk in Idaho.

Marcus

I won a 300 win mag x-bolt at an RMEF dinner a few years back. At first, I liked it for accuracy and weight. However, first hunting trip out the magazine fell out going through brush and I didn't notice until I was already back at the trailhead. Upon further inspection, the plastic detach clip relaeses with the slightest disturbance. Had to put a piece of tape across it to ensure it wouldn't fall out. Then, it struggled to feed consistently through the in-line feeding mag, resulting in a missed mule deer follow up shot. There is actually a screw on the mag that adjusts tension, indicating a design flaw in the mag originally. Finally, it has already shown throat erosion after only 200 rounds shooting 180 accubonds and mild 7828 loads. Conclusion, might be a good bench gun, but not durable enough for hunting elk in Idaho.

Marcus
One of the main reasons I prefer the A-Bolt II rifles, over the X-Bolt. I don't like detachable mags on hunting rifles (with the exception being rimfire calibers and AR-15's). The ABII rifles have a detachable mag, but it's enclosed in the gun by a hinged floorplate, so it won't just fall out randomly.

I have 2 X-bolts, a Medallion and a composite varmint, both in .223. IMO the X-bolt is the nicest sub $1000 factory rifles.
If your father doesn't like it, I'll take it.

I have both Abolts and Xbolts love them both. I wish they would have kept the trap door on the magazine for the xbolt. I really like the weight and feel of the xbolts over the abolts.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.