Browning Radial Brake Issues and Replacement

I've used the Eric Cortina tuner brake and had great results from it. Shootsmallgroups.com. I've got it on a 28 nosler and the recoil reduction is great. Easy to install as well.

I just ordered one from Optics Planet today LOL $99 on sale, make sure you ordered the rite one for your barrel if you order one, mine was burnt bronze standard.

Contact Unknown Munitions in Idaho and buy one of their self timing brakes. You just buy the matching thread and screw it on. Best brakes on the market.

I have a 6.5PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro. I never use the radial brake B/C (1.) It is a PITA to tape up to keep rain and snow out of the barrel (water in the barrel kills accuracy). and (2.) For a few shots for hunting it is unnecessary.

I really like that rifle for its accuracy and its many features (CF stock, stainless barreled action, etc.) and that it is a lot less $$$ than a SAKO Carbon Lite.
RIFLE.jpeg

My X-bolt Long Range Pro, 6.8 Western came with the Recoil Hawg. I took it off when I received the rifle and a couple hundred rounds later, I'm tempted to try shooting with it installed as I've never tried it. Rifle just dropped two Montana Pronghorn with 156 gr Hammer Hunter bullets. Mine was bedded at 340 yards from prone. Buddy shot his while quartering away at 300 yards kneeling from shooting stick. On our off-day, my other buddy shot three prairie dogs with one shot using the rifle at 200 yards. The rifle has 26" barrel and recoil without muzzle brake is not a problem however muzzle jump makes acquiring target for possible second shot take a moment. Have 2.2 lb trigger spring kit from MCarbo- excellent trigger.
What velocity are you seeing with the 156 hammers? I'm going to work up a hammer load for hunting, just not sure between the 156 and 162. Wish they had reliable BC figures for each.

I have a 6.5PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro. I never use the radial brake B/C (1.) It is a PITA to tape up to keep rain and snow out of the barrel (water in the barrel kills accuracy). and (2.) For a few shots for hunting it is unnecessary.

I really like that rifle for its accuracy and its many features (CF stock, stainless barreled action, etc.) and that it is a lot less $$$ than a SAKO Carbon Lite.View attachment 403112
I agree for a few shots not needed but sure is nice at the shooting bench, mine seem fine for accuracy but I ordered the recoil hawg anyway.

I agree for a few shots not needed but sure is nice at the shooting bench, mine seem fine for accuracy but I ordered the recoil hawg anyway.
Exactly what I plan to use mine for, bench and competition (can I still call it that if I'm not good enough to be competitive?) I'll put the thread protector on for hunting

I bought a Browning Hell's Canyon LR in 6.8 Western last summer and it shot all 3 factory loads I fed it (165 ABLR, 175 TGK and 162 monos) very poorly, 2-4 MOA @ 100 yards.

This weekend I finally broke down and removed the factory radial muzzle brake and shot 3/4" groups with relative ease. How is it that a radial brake could be so wrong?

After shooting with only the thread protector I definitely noticed the additional recoil. I'm looking for a replacement brake (not suppressors) and preferably one i can install without a gunsmith. I'll probably hunt with just the thread protector, but days at the bench and NRL Hunter matches will see use of a brake to mitigate recoil.

What are my best options for a replacement brake? I've heard good things about a few different brands, just looking for some recommendations.

Cheers!
See if you can try two or three from friends around you or folks at a range. Only way you'll know without throwing away money!