Browning XBolt brake alternatives

Holycity73

Has anyone come up with a viable replacement for the oddly threaded, poor performing Browning brake?
I love my rifle and I'd really like to see a good option that doesn't require a cut and rethread.

Terminator T1 would be high on my list. I'm assuming you've got the HC Speed or similar sporter barrel with the metric threading?

https://www.shoot-long.com/product/terminator-muzzle-brakes-t1-t2-t3-t4-t5-t6-tt-t3b-ta-te/

T1
– 7/16×28 AND 1/2×28 THREADS. LIGHT WEIGHT CHOICE (ONLY 1.2 OZ.), PERFORMS EXTREMELY WELL FOR ITS SIZE. THE 7/16 THREAD IS THE SAME AS THE KIMBER ASCENT RIFLES. WE ALSO DO THE BROWNING THREAD FOR THE HELLS CANYON RIFLES. 1.97″ LONG X .680″ O.D. BEAD BLASTED SS. COMES WITH .284 CENTER HOLE

That is good to know they offer a metric option for the Browning's. Those lightweight HC speed rifles in magnum calibers can be a handful on a bench!

Last edited:
Has anyone come up with a viable replacement for the oddly threaded, poor performing Browning brake?
I love my rifle and I'd really like to see a good option that doesn't require a cut and rethread.
What caliber are you shooting? I heard the browning radial brakes while not great still reduce recoil by about 30%

I replaced my Browning factory (fake) brake with a barrel contour matching Vais brake. While the Vais may not be as efficient as the multi-ported slab brakes, it's appearance is a heck of a lot nicer.
Not sure why you call it fake? As stated above while radial brakes are definitely less than desirable they do I'm fact work. They typically yield 20-30% recoil reduction.

Not sure why you call it fake? As stated above while radial brakes are definitely less than desirable they do I'm fact work. They typically yield 20-30% recoil reduction.

I say that because the brake is nothing but a piece of thin walled pipe with a few holes drilled in it. There is nothing in the construction of it to grab gases or to help arrest the rearward movement of the rifle. Interestingly enough, the exit port on my Browning brake would accommodate a 340 WBY even though it's on a 6.5 barrel.

I sent the brake to a well known manufacturer of brakes who told me he didn't believe that it was possible for it to reduce recoil at all. IMO it's essentially cosmetic.

I'd like to hear from one of our (LRH) posters/sponsors that has experience in manufacturing brakes. Maybe he could share his opinion on the effectiveness of the Browning. factory brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.