Browning XBolt brake alternatives

Do you have a photo of it? How does it perform?
Performs excellent, reduces recoil of my 7mag down to a 6.5cm in my opinion....the stock brake did help a little but the mbm bb is lightyears better-- here is a close up pic for ya from the side
20191024_052352.jpg

Last edited:
I say that because the brake is nothing but a piece of thin walled pipe with a few holes drilled in it. There is nothing in the construction of it to grab gases or to help arrest the rearward movement of the rifle. Interestingly enough, the exit port on my Browning brake would accommodate a 340 WBY even though it's on a 6.5 barrel.

I sent the brake to a well known manufacturer of brakes who told me he didn't believe that it was possible for it to reduce recoil at all. IMO it's essentially cosmetic.

I'd like to hear from one of our (LRH) posters/sponsors that has experience in manufacturing brakes. Maybe he could share his opinion on the effectiveness of the Browning. factory brake.
Google radial brakes. You will find plenty of tests showing what I have described. Even though the opening at the end is large and then has a ton of small walled holes there is still material for gases to grab onto. I'd say at worse your brake is giving you at least a 15% reduction but most radial brakes are in the 20-30% reduction from all my research. The point is a good muzzle brake should be able to reduce down by 40-50% so compared to that, yes they stink but you are still seeing a recoil reduction I bet. Just not very noticeable.

Last edited:
I'll chime in on radials...
I have a Jarrett with one of their brakes. They work. Yes. As well as a directional ported? Not even close. My personal favorite is the Insite Heathen.
The browning brake although noticeable, is weak by comparison. It's also being mounted on a sub 7lb rifle, so there's that.

two points:
A GOOD muzzle brake will reduce from 70 to up to 85%.

I hate companies that make their stuff proprietary just because.
Muzzle brakes and silencers have fairly common threads(some variation based on barrel profile and caliber)
Making your own threads is total BS...and the reason I own no Browning.

PS, years ago the standards for PC upgrades was likewise fairly standard.
HP and Apple made everything from memory standards to Power supply unique.

Reason I still find in hard to understand why sheeple flock to APPLE.
Their kit is made to fail, and impossible to repair (sealed, locked, soldiered memory batteries etc. etc. etc.)

Long rant....TLDR

Buy a Tikka instead of browning.

two points:
A GOOD muzzle brake will reduce from 70 to up to 85%.

I hate companies that make their stuff proprietary just because.
Muzzle brakes and silencers have fairly common threads(some variation based on barrel profile and caliber)
Making your own threads is total BS...and the reason I own no Browning.

PS, years ago the standards for PC upgrades was likewise fairly standard.
HP and Apple made everything from memory standards to Power supply unique.

Reason I still find in hard to understand why sheeple flock to APPLE.
Their kit is made to fail, and impossible to repair (sealed, locked, soldiered memory batteries etc. etc. etc.)

Long rant....TLDR

Buy a Tikka instead of browning.
Tikkas are the iPhone of the hunting world, change my mind. :D

well its not a closed system
Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 Creedmoor

Standard threads
20 or 24 inch barrel
10 round magazine

guaranteed MOA

Less than a grand

Checks all my boxes.

standard rail for any scope / system

Close to an AR system that you can get in a hunting rifle.

So, not a Remington 700, but just about as universal in its ability to take add on or modifications.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.