Browning BAR 300 Win. Mag.

Jim Utt

Hello everyone, I'm new to this group, I have a new Browning BAR 300 Win Mag, does anyone know what kind of accuracy I can expect with this rifle? Shooting a 165 or 180 grain, for that matter which grain might be best? Thank You

Last edited:
Welcome to LRH!
About the rifle, my friend Jim had one that was fun to shoot. We got MOA or better with 180 grain lead points. Didn't know about Bergers or A Max back then.

What animal do you want to hunt? You might try 150 to 165 grain for deer and 180 to 208 for elk.

Do you reload?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this group, I have a new Browning BAR 300 Win Mag, does anyone know what kind of accuracy I can expect with this rifle? Shooting a 165 or 180 grain, for that matter which grain might be best? Thank You
Put a good scope on it and find someone to help you find a good load that it likes.

If you can get it to shoot under 2 MOA at 200yds it will get you to 500-600yds.

You will have to reload to get the best accuracy out of it but with a little shopping around you might find a factory load that it likes.

I'd say stick with the 180gr class or heavier bullets if shooting beyond 400yds is your goal.

If you can't get it shooting better than the 2 MOA then you'll have to stick to sub 400yds while you are searching for a good, more accurate bolt gun.

Very few semi autos will compare favorably to quality bolt rifles for accuracy.

Welcome, hang around and you can learn a lot here.

I have a Bar in 300 WSM its a great shooter right at 1 MOA with factory 180gr accubonds, with handloads .5 MOA. I've taken Hogs out to 475yds with it thus far. I had a trigger job done on mine, they tend to be loose and mushy. The Browning bar is a very fine rifle and should do well for you!

The ones I've shot did really well, with factory ammo.
My next rifle will probably be a Remington bolt gun in .300 Magnum, but only because I attended a Remington Armorer's Course for one of the newer Sniper rifles and get a 46% discount on my next purchase. If not for that a .300 Mag BAR was highest on my list.

Having said that, I tend to agree that a bolt gun has a better chance of being accurate. But this isn't always the case, and since you already own the rifle you might as well give it a chance. I'm sure you could find a good load that it will shoot 1moa or maybe better.

Jim- the most accurate bullets i have found are bergers. these are available in HSM ammo. one of the smallest groups i have shot was with a rem 700 300 wm and factory ammo. .171 . good considering i have a 6ppc, a 6br and 2 6.,5-284s.

I have one in 300wm and have done quite well with it. It shoots around 3/4moa with Winchester 180 factory ammo when I do my part. It definitely prefers heavy bullets over lighter ones.

The accuracy of this can be truly amazing. Stay with the heavier bullets and extruded powder so the bolt will cycle the same each time. A faster powder and hotter primer works well also. You can adjust the forearm for barrel tension. This will help tune the harmonics of the barrel. If it has the boss then your a .250 rifle @ 100 when everything is dialed in.

I question the people that pay big $ buying the ar mag rifles in this caliber ( Omen etc.) when this is just a better built, higher quality rifle. More accurate to boot!:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts