Browning A Bolt Magazine to Short

Doug Brownlee

My nephew asked me to work up some loads for his Browning .325WSM A Bolt. He provided a box of ammo that he was using. First thing I did was use my OAL gauge and came up with 2.913 to the lands I then measured the factory ammo and found that it was set back.086 off the lands.

I loaded up 3 rounds for -.010, -.020, -.030 all the way out to the factory loads and went to the range.

The best 100yd 3 shot group was at .010 off the lands the worst were the factory loads 3.75.

Now it gets interesting: the inside measurement of the mag is 2.898 and to achieve proper feeding of 3 rounds an additional .025 clearance was required this takes us back to a COAL of 2.873.

Starting with the new COAL of 2.873 the best 3 shot group was 1.432 at 100yds. I can not understand why Browning produces a rifle with a short Mag. Has anyone else had this problem

Last edited:
Not an uncommon issue with any rifle where you stretch out the cartridge. You need to find a reliable smith and have the mag well opened up and a mofified mag obtained.

The other answer is single feed it.

Thanks for your response that's what I was told by my GS as well as other LR shooters. Its not my rifle and research has shown the new mag and rework would almost exceed the purchase price of the rifle. I guess 1.5 inch group is better than 3.5 inch group. I have worked up loads in other rifles and this is the first one I have had a problem with. I have repeatedly hit 10inch steel at 200 and 300 yards. Going to a longer range and checking it out to 500yds. I would not feel comfortable shooting any farther. I am following up with Browning and letting them know about the design flaw.

Hi Den I am shooting the CT Ballistic Silver Tip 180gr. Not my first choice but what my nephew wants to use. He has had a lot of luck with it in the past.

the reason why I was asking this is I have a browning abolt 325 wsm and I had a little trouble with the barnes 200 grain triple shock feeding @ mag length I have not shot it much lately but as I recall mine likes 200 grain bullets accubonds and partitions and the barnes tripple shock I just had a little trouble with the barnes going up the feed ramp when seated @ max mag length

Den, I have not encountered any feed problem as long is I maintain the .025 clearance in the mag. If I set the COAL for less than .025 as you slide the next two cases into the mag the bottom one hangs up and will not slide up the mag as you work the bolt. Not the best quality or tight standards. I think its a poor design you lose a lot in the trap door design with the removable clip. lesson learned with another guys gun.
I have a 300WSM that is .010 set back with plenty of space left in the Mag. I also have a .270 set at .018 set back and with enough room left in the mag to go to the lands. If it were my gun I would take it to Cabelas and trade it in for a Savage

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.