Brown bear Rifle

If you wanna kill one, .308 and smaller calibers. Wait for them to die.

If you wanna dump a big one in its tracks, .338 RUM on up to .458WM improve the odds. And .375 RUM on up really improve the odds of a lights out and down result.

Saw a mid-sized bear hit with a 400gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw from a .458 WM, and it wiped the wind out of the bear where it stood.
Thats what im talking about it's like boats to me if its a dangerous animal dont go underpowered its far better to have exceive power and not need it when not enough power just wasnt enough

Thats what im talking about it's like boats to me if its a dangerous animal dont go underpowered its far better to have exceive power and not need it when not enough power just wasnt enough
There is much to like about the fat bullet big hole concept when you're standing your ground with a beast that survives every day by killing it's food. I've seen several comment on the 45/70 and the 458 WM but noone has mentioned the 500 Alaskan. Has anyone ever met someone carrying one of those?

I haven't read all 11 pages of the post, and don't claim to know a lot about griz hunting, other than it's on my bucket list. My first bucket list hunt is for a Cape buffalo. I always dreamed of using a 416 Rigby. I bought my Rigby and to this day enjoy it. However, for some reason I bought a 375 Ruger Guide Gun just for kicks because I had the extra money at the time burning a hole in my pocket. I am more of a traditionalist, much preferring the 375 h&h version in a win model 70, but I could not find a reasonable price on one at the time. I tell you all this because once I laid hands on the guide gun, I couldn't hardly bring myself to want to hunt with the Rigby anymore. It is just so compact and easier to handle by far! It has a weighted muzzle brake for easier practice and when the time comes, remove it for hunting. It is built on a long action rather than a magnum. This make cycling shorter and quicker. It is a true controlled round feed and has excellent sights that are made for quick shots if need be. It is roughly the ballistic twin of the H&H with less weight, shorter barrel, and by my taste, much better handling. I honestly feel if I was being charged by a buffalo or a grizzly, I would definitely 100% feel better about my chances with the guide gun. And I would attribute this to the compactness and quick handling properties vs the longer barreled and bulkier 416 Rigby and 375 h&h mod 70. Good luck on your hunt, but try to find one to check out. It may just surprise you like it did me. Nothing wrong with a 300, but shot placement is critical on dangerous game. Also, the more penetration and stopping power, the better. My opinion is take the largest caliber that you shoot comfortably. If that's the 300wm, then go for it. If you can comfortably shoot a 458 lott, go for it. There is no overkill when hunting something that has the attitude to try and kill you back. But whatever you do, use a rifle that you can comfortably and consistently place your shots well.

I haven't read all 11 pages of the post, and don't claim to know a lot about griz hunting, other than it's on my bucket list. My first bucket list hunt is for a Cape buffalo. I always dreamed of using a 416 Rigby. I bought my Rigby and to this day enjoy it. However, for some reason I bought a 375 Ruger Guide Gun just for kicks because I had the extra money at the time burning a hole in my pocket. I am more of a traditionalist, much preferring the 375 h&h version in a win model 70, but I could not find a reasonable price on one at the time. I tell you all this because once I laid hands on the guide gun, I couldn't hardly bring myself to want to hunt with the Rigby anymore. It is just so compact and easier to handle by far! It has a weighted muzzle brake for easier practice and when the time comes, remove it for hunting. It is built on a long action rather than a magnum. This make cycling shorter and quicker. It is a true controlled round feed and has excellent sights that are made for quick shots if need be. It is roughly the ballistic twin of the H&H with less weight, shorter barrel, and by my taste, much better handling. I honestly feel if I was being charged by a buffalo or a grizzly, I would definitely 100% feel better about my chances with the guide gun. And I would attribute this to the compactness and quick handling properties vs the longer barreled and bulkier 416 Rigby and 375 h&h mod 70. Good luck on your hunt, but try to find one to check out. It may just surprise you like it did me. Nothing wrong with a 300, but shot placement is critical on dangerous game. Also, the more penetration and stopping power, the better. My opinion is take the largest caliber that you shoot comfortably. If that's the 300wm, then go for it. If you can comfortably shoot a 458 lott, go for it. There is no overkill when hunting something that has the attitude to try and kill you back. But whatever you do, use a rifle that you can comfortably and consistently place your shots well.
I was just at Ruger's webpage looking at the 375 Guide gun and the 375 African which is the same basic rifle but in blue steel and a 23 inch barrel in a walnut stock. I started thinking that the African cerakoted and put into a McMillan stock or even a Bell and Carlson stock would be tough to beat.

Some really good comments above…. I would only ask what scope you have? If you have a scope with a narrow FOV that could be an issue.

You should speak w the guide about the terrain and how long of a shot you should expect. You might need a scope for something a bit closer.

I have to agree that the man with 1 rifle is far more deadly. If I were going to buy a dedicated rifle for AK it would probably be a 375 H&H with a highly durable, wide FOV, low light objective and 6x ish scope.
I'd like to add a caveat to optics if I may. A particular rifle I carry in thick forests frequented by bears is a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen. It has a trijicon 1x6 that has been indexed for zero retention.

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
Alibi request!!
I just realized I neglected another sometimes overlooked aspect of DG rifles that often pull double duties. No longer owning an extensive arsenal of long guns, I have a particular go to double duty rifle for DG in heavy wooded/restricted terrain. It's nothing fancy, but highly reliable and accurate. It's a Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen. I have a Trijicon 1-6x with red dot mounted on it, and consider it only a 0-300 yard rifle, AGAIN, for thick woods of the NW. attached you'll see pics of terrain and rifle. This rifle runs double duty for my household. It has two zeros, one is what is referred to as the blue load (general hunting load). 225gr TTSX zero'd @ 200. This is a basic anything hunt load 0-300yds. The optics are indexed at the proper torque for repeating zero when detached and then reattached. See pics. The second load is referred to as the Black Load/DG it is a 200gr TSX running as flat fast as it will spit out of the 18.5" barrel on CFE-223. It is used for open sights with optics removed for WIDE field of view in tight terrain, and is surprisingly accurate. See pics. For me, finding an optical eye relief, on a fast moving ball of fur with teeth at danger close range is a non-starter. I prefer both eyes open and iron sites when it's time to go in the bush for recovery. Some Red dot/HUD optics are great for the same function, but I've found they also tend to suck at times with wet environments that make them closely resemble kaleidoscopes at inopportune moments!
Few DG animals go down for the count with the first shot, and often they seek dense shelter when wounded. At some point you will have to venture into that environment to recover the game. For me, removing the glass and dropping in the DG mag/Black Load takes seconds. And, it's all accomplished on this one weapon platform. I would not feel inadequate, in any manner, with this set up on the North American Continent. The 200gr TSX was chosen for speed and penetration ONLY. The heavier TTSX was chosen for accuracy and respectable speed retention @300. I have experience with both these projectiles out of this weapon and cannot speak to other solid copper projo's. Just wanted to throw those two thoughts at you as you prepare for your adventure sir.
I pray each and everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend, and please remember the reason for the season. Thank a Vet for protecting the homeland we all love so much.

Attachments

• EFC78F30-284B-49F2-AC54-950FA248DEFE.jpeg
    EFC78F30-284B-49F2-AC54-950FA248DEFE.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 52DE0264-5A82-4349-B9B8-4C19D85B34AD.jpeg
    52DE0264-5A82-4349-B9B8-4C19D85B34AD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
  • B912BC55-8BAE-43C8-A0D9-4BB81CB7C616.jpeg
    B912BC55-8BAE-43C8-A0D9-4BB81CB7C616.jpeg
    787.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 324D42AC-4205-4AC6-A904-E37DAEE91894.jpeg
    324D42AC-4205-4AC6-A904-E37DAEE91894.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
  • E89D4748-B890-4C62-9F60-62D01DA01830.jpeg
    E89D4748-B890-4C62-9F60-62D01DA01830.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 151
  • EC88E8B2-A8BD-4D8B-B63B-90267D5D0CC6.jpeg
    EC88E8B2-A8BD-4D8B-B63B-90267D5D0CC6.jpeg
    734.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 19005F5F-3EA9-404E-AE8A-26C2C078EFB9.jpeg
    19005F5F-3EA9-404E-AE8A-26C2C078EFB9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 150
Thanks fellas for the great information. Being a novice headed to Alaska certainly this advice is well taken. I think I'll start looking for 338 WinMag or 338 ultra. I would also welcome more on this thread thank you
As has been stated the 30 cal can do it my personal experience is I've shot black bears with 30 06 dead on impact and seen them wreck stuff after they hit the dirt. Ive also dropped them in their tracks without a twich the bear your going after is not to be messed with im glad your going for more power im sure you will do well and congrats on getting this hunt

I've never had the chance to hunt a brown bear; but, think I'd look closely at the size of this bears paws, then take what made me feel warm and fuzzy. Believe this one was 10'6", weighed between 1000-1200lbs.

Attachments

• 728A7309-DDEF-4DC3-99C0-C2E5C42FCADC.jpeg
    728A7309-DDEF-4DC3-99C0-C2E5C42FCADC.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 177
  • E928BEC7-29B1-49BF-B295-6EC1DBB87100.jpeg
    E928BEC7-29B1-49BF-B295-6EC1DBB87100.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 155
I've never had the chance to hunt a brown bear; but, think I'd look closely at the size of this bears paws, then take what made me feel warm and fuzzy. Believe this one was 10'6", weighed between 1000-1200lbs.
This bear took alot of ammo to kill i believe if memory serves me right it took 10 rounds from a 7mm mag and a bunch more shots from a side arm . It was suspected to have killed up to 7 people. Remains of three were forsure were found

There is much to like about the fat bullet big hole concept when you're standing your ground with a beast that survives every day by killing it's food. I've seen several comment on the 45/70 and the 458 WM but noone has mentioned the 500 Alaskan. Has anyone ever met someone carrying one of those?
Your right on the money there ive seen moose and musk ox shot with the 500 your talking about and it didn't take a second shot with either

Alibi request!!
I just realized I neglected another sometimes overlooked aspect of DG rifles that often pull double duties. No longer owning an extensive arsenal of long guns, I have a particular go to double duty rifle for DG in heavy wooded/restricted terrain. It's nothing fancy, but highly reliable and accurate. It's a Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen. I have a Trijicon 1-6x with red dot mounted on it, and consider it only a 0-300 yard rifle, AGAIN, for thick woods of the NW. attached you'll see pics of terrain and rifle. This rifle runs double duty for my household. It has two zeros, one is what is referred to as the blue load (general hunting load). 225gr TTSX zero'd @ 200. This is a basic anything hunt load 0-300yds. The optics are indexed at the proper torque for repeating zero when detached and then reattached. See pics. The second load is referred to as the Black Load/DG it is a 200gr TSX running as flat fast as it will spit out of the 18.5" barrel on CFE-223. It is used for open sights with optics removed for WIDE field of view in tight terrain, and is surprisingly accurate. See pics. For me, finding an optical eye relief, on a fast moving ball of fur with teeth at danger close range is a non-starter. I prefer both eyes open and iron sites when it's time to go in the bush for recovery. Some Red dot/HUD optics are great for the same function, but I've found they also tend to suck at times with wet environments that make them closely resemble kaleidoscopes at inopportune moments!
Few DG animals go down for the count with the first shot, and often they seek dense shelter when wounded. At some point you will have to venture into that environment to recover the game. For me, removing the glass and dropping in the DG mag/Black Load takes seconds. And, it's all accomplished on this one weapon platform. I would not feel inadequate, in any manner, with this set up on the North American Continent. The 200gr TSX was chosen for speed and penetration ONLY. The heavier TTSX was chosen for accuracy and respectable speed retention @300. I have experience with both these projectiles out of this weapon and cannot speak to other solid copper projo's. Just wanted to throw those two thoughts at you as you prepare for your adventure sir.
I pray each and everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend, and please remember the reason for the season. Thank a Vet for protecting the homeland we all love so much.
Im not an American but i do hold huge respect for those who have served protecting our north American way of life be it Canadian or our American allies my hat is off to all of them

The picture of that bear was originally posted on the world wide web years ago. Some folks created / fabricated a fictional story and attached a lot of false information to it.
Was a big mature boar, for sure. Was killed along the southern coast of Alaska. But the photos were used to create and proliferate a sensationalized story, which was a fabrication and distortion from reality. The make believe story spread like wildfire. To the point the Alaska Department of Fish and Game finally issued a statement, in the effort to set the record straight.

Bottom line... An enlisted man did shoot a big brown bear along the southern coast of Alaska. But it didn't stand 15 feet tall and wasn't a proven man-eater.

Last edited: