Brown bear Rifle

The picture of that bear was originally posted on the world wide web years ago. Some folks created/ fabricated a fictional story and attached a lot of false information to it.
Was a big mature boar, for sure. Was killed along the southern coast of Alaska. But the photos were used to create and proliferate a sensationalized story, which was a fabrication and distortion from reality. The make believe story spread like wildfire. To the point the Aladka Department of Fish and Game finally issued a statement, in the effort to set the record straight.

Bottom line... An enlisted man did shoot a big brown bear along the southern coast of Alaska. But it didn't stand 15 feet tall and wasn't a proven man-eater.
Im very mistaken then and certainly didn't hear of the statment made by Alaska fish and game. I was guiding in NW BC around that time and we all assumed it to be true but did not check it beyond taking it for face value along with the pictures of the half eaten torso and legs and other body parts the bear had supposedly been acredited for eating

T
I've never had the chance to hunt a brown bear; but, think I'd look closely at the size of this bears paws, then take what made me feel warm and fuzzy. Believe this one was 10'6", weighed between 1000-1200lbs.
his story has been circulating since I was on active duty. It has created a legendary following of its own that would rival anything Doc Holiday was ever credited with. Follow the link and see the story fro outdoors360.

T

his story has been circulating since I was on active duty. It has created a legendary following of its own that would rival anything Doc Holiday was ever credited with. Follow the link and see the story fro outdoors360.
Now that i realy think about it critically you wouldnt get many shots into an animal that came upon you already at a dead run from 50 yards

Irregardless of dangerous game, all game deserves as good a death as we can offer. All game needs to be recovered. Finishing an animal shot by someone else should not be a stigma.
I've taken a lot of beginners mostly with good results, but rather than lose an animal, or prolong suffering it's correct to end it. It doesn't matter if it's a coyote or an antelope. The same applies to me. Many things go wrong in the field besides shooting errors, scopes fail etc.
If you shoot well you know that, and can include that in the story. If not we should be thankful it's over for the animal. Certainly grateful it doesn't make it into some hell hole where recovery becomes more difficult.

Zeeman I think you have started something that may never end. I can't recall ever seeing so much legitimate information on a truly serious subject. But then I'm old and can't remember what I ate for breakfast some days. (Kinda kidding) I think you need a legal pad to hold all of your notes from this thread. I think a few take aways here would be 1. A one gun hunter is a dangerous individual not to be taken litely. Does that fact legitimize the use that one gun for every **** thing? NO. 2. There are lots of applications for high velocity small caliber projectiles holding boo-coo energy at 600 yards..but what you are planning to hunt at possibly hand shake distance isn't one of those applications. 3. The question you should answer is does the terrain you're heading to present mostly 100 yard opportunities or 50 feet opportunities with the possibility of closer. If mostly close, then I would fall on the side of the fat, heavy bullet, big hole argument. .40 to .50 cal. and iron sights with a really good recoil pad and practice a lot. I look at my 23 inch BBl Rem 870 sometimes and imagine what it would look like with a magazine extension that would turn it into a 10 shot shotgun full of Brenneke slugs and fitted with actual iron sights.

Zeeman I think you have started something that may never end. I can't recall ever seeing so much legitimate information on a truly serious subject.
We've done dozens of these threads, and this is the first time I've seen it done without it turning into less than adult conversation. Congratulations Guys!

Alibi request!!
I just realized I neglected another sometimes overlooked aspect of DG rifles that often pull double duties. No longer owning an extensive arsenal of long guns, I have a particular go to double duty rifle for DG in heavy wooded/restricted terrain. It's nothing fancy, but highly reliable and accurate. It's a Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen. I have a Trijicon 1-6x with red dot mounted on it, and consider it only a 0-300 yard rifle, AGAIN, for thick woods of the NW. attached you'll see pics of terrain and rifle. This rifle runs double duty for my household. It has two zeros, one is what is referred to as the blue load (general hunting load). 225gr TTSX zero'd @ 200. This is a basic anything hunt load 0-300yds. The optics are indexed at the proper torque for repeating zero when detached and then reattached. See pics. The second load is referred to as the Black Load/DG it is a 200gr TSX running as flat fast as it will spit out of the 18.5" barrel on CFE-223. It is used for open sights with optics removed for WIDE field of view in tight terrain, and is surprisingly accurate. See pics. For me, finding an optical eye relief, on a fast moving ball of fur with teeth at danger close range is a non-starter. I prefer both eyes open and iron sites when it's time to go in the bush for recovery. Some Red dot/HUD optics are great for the same function, but I've found they also tend to suck at times with wet environments that make them closely resemble kaleidoscopes at inopportune moments!
Few DG animals go down for the count with the first shot, and often they seek dense shelter when wounded. At some point you will have to venture into that environment to recover the game. For me, removing the glass and dropping in the DG mag/Black Load takes seconds. And, it's all accomplished on this one weapon platform. I would not feel inadequate, in any manner, with this set up on the North American Continent. The 200gr TSX was chosen for speed and penetration ONLY. The heavier TTSX was chosen for accuracy and respectable speed retention @300. I have experience with both these projectiles out of this weapon and cannot speak to other solid copper projo's. Just wanted to throw those two thoughts at you as you prepare for your adventure sir.
I pray each and everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend, and please remember the reason for the season. Thank a Vet for protecting the homeland we all love so much.
I think that 35 Whelen pump gun is a great do all rifle for your given location and terrain. At close range that 358 is big medicine.

I've never shot a griz and very likely never will. I have shot a few small to large size black bears in the PNW and I have never noticed a pattern to their toughness. The smallest one I shot (~150lbs) was by far the toughest; soaked up eight 325gr WFN hardcast bullets inside 70 yards from ambush in a huckleberry patch. Heart, lungs and shoulders were obliterated.
If bigger bears are even remotely similar, I'd stack the deck in my favor as much as possible with so much on the line and pick up the biggest gun I could accurately shoot.
Good luck on your hunt if a life time and don't forget to bring us along with you on the adventure when it finally arrives!

This article was likely written by a biologist, with way less 1st hand experience watching bullet hit animals die than the average big game guide, or even avid individual hunters.

I worked Alaska State government for 34yrs. I give that article less credibility than my own experiences, combined with the multiple reports discussed with other Alaska hunters over the past 40yrs.

Every now and then in my work office break room, I'd find an opportunity to say "trust me, I work for the government". Was always good for some healthy laughs 😅

Last edited:
Alibi request!!
I just realized I neglected another sometimes overlooked aspect of DG rifles that often pull double duties. No longer owning an extensive arsenal of long guns, I have a particular go to double duty rifle for DG in heavy wooded/restricted terrain. It's nothing fancy, but highly reliable and accurate. It's a Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen. I have a Trijicon 1-6x with red dot mounted on it, and consider it only a 0-300 yard rifle, AGAIN, for thick woods of the NW. attached you'll see pics of terrain and rifle. This rifle runs double duty for my household. It has two zeros, one is what is referred to as the blue load (general hunting load). 225gr TTSX zero'd @ 200. This is a basic anything hunt load 0-300yds. The optics are indexed at the proper torque for repeating zero when detached and then reattached. See pics. The second load is referred to as the Black Load/DG it is a 200gr TSX running as flat fast as it will spit out of the 18.5" barrel on CFE-223. It is used for open sights with optics removed for WIDE field of view in tight terrain, and is surprisingly accurate. See pics. For me, finding an optical eye relief, on a fast moving ball of fur with teeth at danger close range is a non-starter. I prefer both eyes open and iron sites when it's time to go in the bush for recovery. Some Red dot/HUD optics are great for the same function, but I've found they also tend to suck at times with wet environments that make them closely resemble kaleidoscopes at inopportune moments!
Few DG animals go down for the count with the first shot, and often they seek dense shelter when wounded. At some point you will have to venture into that environment to recover the game. For me, removing the glass and dropping in the DG mag/Black Load takes seconds. And, it's all accomplished on this one weapon platform. I would not feel inadequate, in any manner, with this set up on the North American Continent. The 200gr TSX was chosen for speed and penetration ONLY. The heavier TTSX was chosen for accuracy and respectable speed retention @300. I have experience with both these projectiles out of this weapon and cannot speak to other solid copper projo's. Just wanted to throw those two thoughts at you as you prepare for your adventure sir.
I pray each and everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend, and please remember the reason for the season. Thank a Vet for protecting the homeland we all love so much.
Love that rig and set up. Thanks for pics. Do you drop the carry strap when you drop the scope and swap mags?

I've in the past thought of a bolt gun right off the bat when pondering a big game cartridge but if you study on why you think a big cartridge is what you need it also follows that you ask your self just what is it you're doing with it. If you intend to be in bear country for hunting x y and z not bear. But find yourself being followed by one you know he's thinking about wheather he will need his A1 sauce. Having a close encounter with one of them makes me think I need something the will shuck em fast without taking your finger away from the trigger. Longun505 With his pump gun made me think about it some. Your trigger hand never leaves that magic button. I think about the lever action rifles with the 45/70, .450 marlin, .348 win, .500 Alaskan. Wouldn't those rifles serve you better?
No they're not Long distance guns but will deliver the payload quicker. I have a friend I've hunted with for decades and his go to rifle for almost everything is a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. We've hanloaded for it a long time with 300 grain sierra or Hornady hollow points with enough IMR 4198 to push them out the BBL at 2160. I've seen him roll a running groundhog at 75 yards offhand and do the same with deer at 200 yards. Iron sights only. So if many guides poopoo shooting bear past 150 with our long bbled bolt guns why not start practicing with our 45/70 etc To do the same?