Broughton barrels

257speed

I am looking at building myself another rifle, in 6.5-284 and was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Broughton 5C (canted land) barrels. I'm curious about accuracy and how they hold up compared to a 3 land barrel. Thanks

Chris...Oh Chris...Let the man know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have one on the rig Chris Matthews just built for me and all I can say is I'm very happy with it. From what I hear..It's a winning barrel on the BR scene.

Joe

257Speed.

I have used a couple Broughton barrels on customers rifles and handguns and they shot very well. I would list them as a top quality barrel option as good as any out there.

When I called Tim North and talked with him about his barrels he told me about the 5C rifling system and that if you used appropriate powder for the round you were loading, you would have a hard time getting the primer pockets to loosen up.

Well, I had to test this theory on the first Broughton 5C I fitted which was on a 6.5mm WSM on an XP-100 handgun.

I have a personal 6.5mm WSM in an XP that I used a 1-8 3 groove Lilja and its top load drives the 120 gr Ballistic Tip out at 3100 fps with sub 1/2 moa grouping out to 400 yards.

The Broughton barreled XP held the same 1/2 moa out to 300 yards which is as far as I tested before shipping the handgun but I will say that the same load in that handgun did loosen the primer pockets more then the Lilja 3 groove.

Is this a big deal, certainly not. The quality is there and the 5C is a good system but I would not say it is better then the 3 grooves.

The exception may be with heavy thin jacketed match bullets in fast twist barrels where the 3 grooves have a reputation for being a bit hard on these bullets. I have not tested this yet though.

All in all, I include Broughton barrels in my list of barrels I will use on my rifles and handguns to reach the accuracy requirements I demand in my firearms.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Gonehuntingagain,

WOW!!

Did not even notice.

Goes to show I should be working more and typing less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have two Broughtons and third on order and shoot 1k BR competitively. As far as accuracy goes, these barrels are winning more than their fair share when compared to others.

They are showing top notch accuracy, long barrel life, and the 5Cs are faster than conventional rifling. They all come with the muzzle end lapped tighter than the bore which is another reason for the accuracy.

BH

So barrel life is proving to be pretty good? I know there has been some concern in the LR HP arena, simply because Broughton barrels don't come w/ a tight bore like a Krieger (.298x) which has been a perennial favorite in Palma, etc. I think people have finally figured out that the original reason for the tight bore (funky issue ammo outside the U.S., in years past) doesn't really apply anymore (or to most people shooting Palma in the U.S. even so) but the mentality that the tight bore allows the Kriegers to be maintain a given level of accuracy longer before the barrel is worn out is still hanging on.

I opted to buck the trend and pick up a Broughton 5C to replace a burnt-out Krieger on a 40X Palma rifle... the gun is getting re-stocked so I still don't have any trigger time behind it. I do recall that it seemed like the numbers printed on the invoice that came w/ the barrel (don't have it handy anymore) seemed to indicate pretty shallow lands-n-grooves. Time will tell how well it holds up, I guess.

Monte

257speed

Can't go wrong with Broughton 5C for a 6.5. They are dominating the 1000 BR scene right now. There are two regular posters here shooting 6.5-284 that I built them on Broughtons. (rimfire and lablover)
I use Broughton barrels exclusively- one, they are consistent, accurate barrels and two, Tim North is a hell of a guy to do business with-plus he's a shooter, so he put's his money where his mouth is.

I've got a 5C 8 twist 24 cal. on a Savage Striker, and i'd swear it comes as close as i've ever been to making cleaning pleasant-- reallllly close to an old Swift AI i had with a cryoed Lilja.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.