5c 8 Twist 6mm Broughton barrels

dakor

I know that Broughton makes a good barrel I am going to ask a couple of questions about the 5c 6mm 8 Twist. I would be using it for a 6mm-284 and I want to know if anyone has been having trouble blowing bullets up with this barrel. I shoot mainly 95 berger VLD's 95 Ballistic tips, 100 Sierra SPBT GameKings and I would probably be shooting the 107 Sierra matchking as well. All of these bullets should be comming out of this rig over the 3300fps mark and the 100gr sierra and 95 B-Tip would be more like 3400 to 3500fps. My old barrel did not have a problem but it was a Hart 9 twist 6 groove.

In that caliber (6-284) with those bullets I would step down to a 9 twist maybe even a 10.
I don't think you'll have any problem with the 8 but it is a definite possibility.

dakor,
1-8" twist barrel's seem to be pretty tough on 6mm bullet's,mine is a 6mm-284 pac-nor 3groove ,it will blow-up 95gr -or 105gr Bergers at 3300fps+ (because of the thin j-4 jacket) but a 95gr ballistic tip will never blow -up ,but has half the B.C.of the berger95, the sierra 107gr MK is THE BEST 6mm VLD bullet if driven faster than 3200fps .
B

Thanks for the info Brian and Chris I would like a 9 twist but from the looks of Broughtons website it does not look like they make a 9 twist in a 5c. I will call Tim in the morning to make sure. I suppose I could go with a standard 6 groove 9 twist. Chris you use these barrels a lot do you really see much of an accuracy and velocity difference between the 5c and the standard 6 groove if all things are equal? Brian what kind of speed are you getting with your 6-284 with 95 B-Tips? I was getting 3515FPS in the summer and in the winter about 3480FPS with my Hart 28inch with no sticky bolt or ejector marks.

Wish I could tell you but I haven't built two identical rifles(except for one with a 5C and the other with a 6 groove) to do an actual test, but all the feed back I am getting is that they are faster then the "old" barrel with the same load.

Well I talked with Tim from Broughton this morning and we talked about the 5c in a 8 twist and the 9 twist 3 groove. Tim did not think I would have trouble with either barrel shooting heavier bullets like the 107 Sierra and he said as for lighter bullets or bullets using a J4 jacket he has not heard of anyone dusting them. Tim said just to be sure I should give Rich Machholz a call at Sierra because he has the exact barrel I was looking for a 28inch 5c 8 twist in a 6-284 and he knew Rich had shot some lighter bullets in his rifle. I gave Rich a call and we talked for almost an hour what a hell of a nice guy. He shared the details of his rig and bullets he has shot all Sierra's of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif then he asked me what I shoot then he started giving me a hard time about shooting Nosler's and I gave him a hard time for Sierra lacking in the big game hunting bullets area and we both laughed it was all in good fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Rich just shot a 4 inch group at 1000 yards with his 6-284 that pretty much sold me right there. Rich also invited me down to shoot at their 1000 yard range but I told him I would have to wait untill I get my rifle re built but I would give him a call and take him up on his offer when it was finished. I know I might not be able to shoot berger bullets at smoking speeds but I will shoot the 107 Sierra for paper and use the Gameking or Ballistic Tip for hunting. All I have to say if anyone has a question on a Broughton barrel talk to Tim North and if you have questions with any Sierra bullets talk with Rich Machholz. They both know what they are talking about and will take the time to answer your questions and they are a class act. I also asked kirby a few question VIA email about his 6-284 and after finding out the details with him using a 3 groove I do not think Sierra or Nosler bullets will be a problem in a 5c 8 twist Thanks again Kirby! Chris thanks for the info again on the Broughton barrels you were right Tim is a nice guy to deal with and I will be ordering a 5c 8 twist in the next day or two.

Dakor,

Let us know how she runs for you. I suspect it will cut tiny little groups with any bullet you listed you will be using!!

Let us know,

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.