Brass Separation Above Belt

"And because I read too many Jack O'Connor stories in my youth, I always thought the .270 Winchester was the worlds best non-belted magnum.;)"

I got tired Jack O'Connor and still believe the .270 Winchester is the worlds best non-belted magnum. I call it the NON-magnum magnum.

"And because I read too many Jack O'Connor stories in my youth, I always thought the .270 Winchester was the worlds best non-belted magnum.;)"

I got tired Jack O'Connor and still believe the .270 Winchester is the worlds best non-belted magnum. I call it the NON-magnum magnum.

Guess what happens when you load a 30-06 to .270 Win chamber pressures. You have a 30-06 that shoots just as flat as the .270 Win or the 7mm Rem mag.

EPcuYSG.jpg

Ed,

Ur bottom line? Really?

Here's the bottom line;

U need a die that conforms to ur chamber. End of confusion.

No special reloading techniques (b.s.) needed.

End of story.

I had the same sort of thing happen to me when using Hornady brass in a 300 Win Mag. That's when I learned about not resizing the case shoulder back any farther than it needed to be.

Ed,

Ur bottom line? Really?

Here's the bottom line;

U need a die that conforms to ur chamber. End of confusion.

No special reloading techniques (b.s.) needed.

End of story.

Show me any factory made full length die that conforms to a belted magnum cartridge and chamber. And then show me reloading forums that never have case head separation problems.

Example, I have a Lee full length .223 sizing die the reduces the case diameter more than my RCBS small base die does. And this same Lee die will push the case shoulder back .009 if the die contacts the shell holder.

Reloading dies and chambers vary in diameter and headspace length. And the only way to have a die perfectly fit your chamber is have custom dies made for every rifle you own. $$$$$$

No confusion and no B.S. in my postings.

Tell your wife to stop over drying your underwear, your post shows that your underwear is too tight.

buck-naked-underwear-tv-ad-meat-grinder.jpg

Bottom line.

79aab4c61a6571c20fbbbd4316e5b44d--gag-gifts-fathers-day-gifts.jpg

P.S. Your post still stinks..........Have a nice day

The point, Ed, to be made, is that ur BM case cannot account for discrepancies in ur die OR ur chamber. That's up to YOU, funny boy.

[..] is that ur BM case cannot account for discrepancies in ur die OR ur chamber.

This has nothing to do with belted cases - No cases, chambers or FL sizing dies are even close to one size.

If you want to get cases that fit the chamber and don't stretch and split, you need to make the processes work for you - this is not idiots heaven - you need to know what you are doing and how to compensate for the differences.

Back in March of 2013, I bought a new Remington 40-XB Single Shot in .220 Swift.

Unfortunately, this was 3+ months after the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting. Obama promised to all but eliminate guns and ammunition (or so it was thought).
Shooters went crazy and bought everything they could find - even if they didn't need it, they could use it to trade.
So, for my new .220 Swift, there was no brass available, ANYWHERE!

I friend heard of my plight and offered 100 brand new, beautiful Norma .220 Swift cases that had never been fired. Kewl!

But, the catch was that some idiot who didn't know what he was doing, tried (unsuccessfully) to make ,220 Wilson Rocket cases out of them, and failed.

He badly collapsed the shoulders making the cases unusable, or so he thought.

h-220WilsonArrow033_zpse2603737.jpg

When a headspace comparitor was zeroed on a .220 Swift GO gauge...

A%20-%20Zero%20on%20headspace%20%20go%20gauge_zpsfufqsnun.jpg

... and measured a "new" case, the headspace (the actual "Space" in the chamber) was a whoppin' 0.1015" (~1/10th of an inch of air space in the loaded chamber).

A%20-%200.1015%20headspace_zpsxexu8s6f.jpg

Using standard dies (an FL, and a neck), the cases were salvaged without any stretching. The shoulders blew out and fully filled the chamber without any problems.

They have been reloaded 6 times without stretching.

a-220%20Wilson%20Arrow%20006_zpsv4ba5gtx.jpg

So, it is not about belted or nor belted - it is ALL cases. Management of head space is necessary, and will pay back with accuracy and case life.

The point, Ed, to be made, is that ur BM case cannot account for discrepancies in ur die OR ur chamber. That's up to YOU, funny boy.

And thats why dies have threads and can be moved up and down to adjust shoulder bump. Or not moved or even touch the die and use Redding competition shell holders.

Its also why Larry Willis makes his belted magnum collet die. For reloaders who only bump their belted magnum shoulders back .001 to .002 and need to size the case body above the belt more.

diebig.jpg

Bottom line, there are 7.6 billion people on this planet, and you think you are the only one who knows how to reload. Me thinks your problem is reading comprehension and understand simple illustrations.

Headspace is also the distance between your ears and how you use it.

CatShooter, I love it when you get mad at stupid posters.

ydx65vv.jpg

"BUT" Remember Tarzan's last words..........Who greased the vine?

I use the Ewoks method and load clean oil free cases in clean oil free chambers.

W8kkVio.jpg

Bazinga! And have a happy New Year old buddy.

P.S. The Best part of collecting the .303 British Enfields is my Paul Hogan Magnum Roo light, and my Koala Bear targets.

5fxkqti.jpg

lLWNArn.jpg

Bng,

U still blowing out yer cases beyond recovery?

Too funny, u and yer mental incompetence.

This kinda of thing does not take hardly any mental ability just enough to use a micrometer and use some simple gauging, some of the best Smith's and loader on the forum have tried to show you what you clearly think you have a grasp on when in fact your absalutely clueless to what's happening. Generally if more than a couple people tell me I'm doing something dumb and can prove it, it's a sign I need to pull the head out of my rearend and do some learning, unfortunately some already know they have nothing to learn and those can not be helped!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.