small ring above belt on .300 win mag

aebhunter

I had a new .300 built and am not to a point where I am reloading some of the cases I have shot through it. I noticed that some of them were chambering extremely tight, so I decided to run them through my full length resizer to sort of "start from scratch. Using a Redding full length sizer. After I ran a couple through I chambered and they were a little better, but not great. I also noticed a little ring just above the belt. I then ran a couple through a body only die and bumped the shoulders back, they chamber like butter now, but there is a tiny little ring of brass that actually came off the case...***?

Wondering if my new .300 has a tighter chamber than my old one and I am getting the dreaded "case bulge" above the belt?

Anyone ever dealt with this before? I am not real keen on firing rounds through my gun where I seem to have "manipulated" so much brass.

It's from my previous gun
Someone on this forum said one time. "A new rifle deserves new brass".
There is more utility in that statement than novelty.

I would start with new brass or new ammo fired in that particular barrel. That should solve your problem.

I would start with new brass or new ammo fired in that particular barrel. That should solve your problem.

I am starting to think that is the route I will go.

IIRC, that was shortgrass!

ADDED:

Yep, found it!

Necking up a cartridge case will make the thickness of the neck wall thinner. You can neck a case down and if it's too thick you can do something about that. If it's too thin you have no recourse. Winchester head stamped .30/06 brass is currently available. That's the direction I'd go if I didn't want to spend the $$$ on 'premium'. New rifle,,,,, new brass.

:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.