Brass culling, 7 WSM, Winchester

Buy Remington brass from where? It's about the same low end stuff as Win. except been completely unavailable for years.
Remington is not low end, it is better than Hornady, Federal and Winchester.
In fact, it is better on longevity than the Norma 25-06 brass I use in one of my 25-06's. I am not in the US, and Remington 25-06 brass is always on the shelves here.
It was unobtainium about 2 years ago, but the shelves have been full again for at least 12 months, even with the Rona.

Cheers.

After Remington filed BK, most of the company was sold off in bits and pieces. Vista Outdoors bought their ammunition and reloading division. Vista has owned Federal and many others for sometime now. More than likely the new Remington rifle brass is made in the same factory as the Federal. Nothing wrong with that but it is what is. Packing is even the same except color.

Buy Remington brass from where? It's about the same low end stuff as Win. except been completely unavailable for years.
Boom...truth right there Axl.
Also...every middle of the road brass I've ever bought has had clinkers in them. Willing to buy better brass...but like you said - from where? Primers, Bullets, same same.

Remington is not low end, it is better than Hornady, Federal and Winchester.
In fact, it is better on longevity than the Norma 25-06 brass I use in one of my 25-06's.
Of Lapua, Win, Rem, and Fed I have seen relatively terrible here & there (in the USA).
The only brass brand that has consistently met my standards, every one in each box, is NORMA.
But Norma's alloy is too soft to last...

Given this, I just want tough brass, and I'll pick out of it what meets my standards.
The important thing is that it's all the same brand from same lot -for the life of intended barrel.
No mixing, and you don't need to be replacing brass at a high rate.

I recently bought 200 pieces of red/white Winchester brass in 300WM…had to cull 20% due to neck/shoulder pleats and even a couple had defects just ahead of the belt.
It is the last Winchester brass I will buy. I also bought 100 pieces of 338WN brass and only had ONE faulty case, but no more for me. I will only buy Remington for my run of the mill brass from now on.

Cheers.
What causes the pleats in the shoulders? I have seen them over the years but never understood what cause them. I have shot them during load development just fine

The pleats are formed when the neck and shoulder are formed on the cylindrical casing.
Whether it's lack of lube, too fast or a combination of all these things I'm not certain. Have never seen it with Lapua, Norma, Sako, Sellior & Bellot or RWS.
As you can see, every one of those brands are European. I would assume it happens to them too, but their QC must be better.

Cheers.

The pleats are formed when the neck and shoulder are formed on the cylindrical casing.
Whether it's lack of lube, too fast or a combination of all these things I'm not certain. Have never seen it with Lapua, Norma, Sako, Sellior & Bellot or RWS.
As you can see, every one of those brands are European. I would assume it happens to them too, but their QC must be better.

Cheers.

I agree, always seen in it with WW or RP brass

OP, out of curiosity is this brass fire formed or virgin? I don't personally weight or volume sort brass, not saying it isn't valuable but not being a BR competitor I have yet to have my brass capacity be the contributor to any of my less than acceptable accuracy. I like to tinker but I'm not going to shout out barrels looking for one holers. I much prefer watching game fall. Back on the fireforming question, I have never tried to test data of virgin or fire formed but I wouldn't think you could reliably weigh cases until you have made them dimensional identical. We can all agree the case expanding to fit the chamber isn't going to change the weight any but you first must have them identical length (head to shoulder) before you trim necks. I also question whether weight is a directly proportionate to volume. Just to ramble with a few variables that could effect weight; neck length, neck thickness, primer pockets, flash hole and the one most fellas rarely consider is inconsistencies within the material analysis. I work with alloys for a living and have seen significant chemical composition variations between components coming from the same heat lot. This could mean brass differs with tin, copper, etc. Not arguing by any means, just rambling with a glass of scotch.

What causes the pleats in the shoulders? I have seen them over the years but never understood what cause them. I have shot them during load development just fine
Usually too much resizing lube. They shoot out just fine. I've shot out some nasty messes I've made of brass, usually my head up my a—!!!! Even shoulder donuts shoot out, not a good idea to load 2 like cartridges in 2 different calibers back to back, 270wsm & 7wsm it's bound to happen to anyone.