Brass culling, 7 WSM, Winchester

Sounds like a good plan - I may send mine out for annealing also.
I paid for their brass prep service and annealing. It was around $35-45$ total and they came back in these ammo boxes also. For me I usually do the brass prep myself but I've got arthritis in both my thumb knuckles (football injuries) pretty bad so its getting painful to prep, so it was worth it for me. They expand, chamfer necks in and out and annealed. Great guys there! Had them back in 10 days.

image.jpg

Not sure what your after here, but you get what you pay for. WW brass is fine but its not weight sorted and it will have dimples. The dimples fire form out not a big deal. As far as the weight sorting that's why Lapua and other top brass cost twice as much, they weight sort it for you. From my experience you wont notice much meaningful accuracy difference until past 600yds with weight sorted and non weight sorted brass. I can hold MOA out to 6-700 with out weight sorting brass. If you are trying to punch X's in F class or similar then it becomes more important. 10" kill circle on deer is a more forgiving target. I use WW and Hornady regularly., but if lapua or Nosler makes it, I use their brass if I have a choice. For some rifles I weight sort and some I don't, just depends on intended use.

Couldn't stand it - had to weigh a bag. Photos show heaviest and lightest (scale in grams). The majority fell between 222.7 and 224.4 grains with a few each side of those. Strange that these seem to weigh less overall than those of yours TX mountain hunter.

Attachments

• F95F3E77-BA04-406A-ACE5-3C010172C69F.jpeg
    F95F3E77-BA04-406A-ACE5-3C010172C69F.jpeg
    999.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 899A74A9-E82A-4431-B7B2-6645E7001731.jpeg
    899A74A9-E82A-4431-B7B2-6645E7001731.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 57
If you're asking me why I didn't anneal its because I don't have an annealer and have not had the time to research and invest in one. The company that prepped the brass for me charged me $39 to anneal 200 pieces of new brass, prep the brass, and also shipped them back in ammo cases. With my arthritis in my hands it was money well spent.

If you're asking me why I didn't anneal its because I don't have an annealer and have not had the time to research and invest in one. The company that prepped the brass for me charged me $39 to anneal 200 pieces of new brass, prep the brass, and also shipped them back in ammo cases. With my arthritis in my hands it was money well spent.
That sounds like a bargain at .20 each. I'll definitely be giving them a call.

I recently bought 200 pieces of red/white Winchester brass in 300WM…had to cull 20% due to neck/shoulder pleats and even a couple had defects just ahead of the belt.
It is the last Winchester brass I will buy. I also bought 100 pieces of 338WN brass and only had ONE faulty case, but no more for me. I will only buy Remington for my run of the mill brass from now on.

Cheers.
Buy Remington brass from where? It's about the same low end stuff as Win. except been completely unavailable for years.

Recent Posts