Brand new Bergera 300 win mag not shooting accurately

i have had same problem i own 2 hunter & wilderness terrain in 6.5cm they said shoot 140gr eldm both shot 1.5/2in i have got hunter to shootsub moa i am not sold on bergara yet good luck with your 300
Everyone I talk to says they are supposed to be a great rifle. That is why I was so disappointed. I have a Ruger MK 2 in 30-06 that is so accurate, it has become the standard by which I expect a rifle to shoot. I have other rifles that don't shoot quite as tight. I like everything about this Bergara except its accuracy so far. The jury is still out. I have soaked the barrel with copper-killer, scrubbed it and pushed patches through it till it was dry. Next, I am going to take the bipod and sling off and check every screw again on the scope and action. I am going to make a perfect sand-bag set up that won't require me to have to reset everything after each shot. (This is what tends to happen with the bipod and rear bag. I have to re-stack the bag and push into the bipod again as I re-find the target each time). I will post the results when I can do this.

BTW, the scope rings I am using are a new type that are like a clam-shell. They tighten on the top above the scope and at the bottom at the bases. To take the scope off requires taking the rings off the scope and taking it all apart. This prevents me from checking the bases unless I want to completely re-zero the scope again. Does anyone know anything about these kind of rings? If there are any known problems with these, I may just break it all down and reinstall the scope with standard rings. Any input is a help. I am searching everything, but I don't want to waste time and money chasing everything just to find out it was unnecessary. Thanks

What brand of rings? Can you post some pictures of your setup?
I do not know the brand name. They were recommended to me when I bought the scope. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 9xewuT5aQRSytWhwBdP6QQ.jpg
    9xewuT5aQRSytWhwBdP6QQ.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
I am mad beyond description. I just went out and shot these groups. Either this thing is a piece of crap or the scope is or both. I am sick from all the time and money and mental energy I have put into this. I have no other scope to try. Everything costs a ton of money that I don't have. I shot some fouling shots first. They went everywhere. Then I shot a group with the usual 2 touching and the other off an inch +. That was the best group it shot today. (The second shot flew off. The first and third were touching). This group was 1-1/2 high. But then the groups started splaying out everywhere and low. All from the same sandbag rest. It was cold and windy, but this is crap. Why did the group start migrating low?

I had the exact same model of Vortex scope on another rifle. It did stupid screwy things that led me to believe something happened to that rifle. It responded to a different load for a bit, but never shot well. Then I finally took the scope off and replaced my old Nikon that had been on it before. The gun went back to shooting good. It does not seem possible that I could get two scopes that are bad. If that is the case, then vortex is really crap. The problem with this thing is that it is never the same. How can a bad scope shoot one load better than another? How can it shoot some seating depths better than another? But then, how can the whole thing change from day to day? Whenever I get something that looks promising, it shoots crap another day. It does not even keep the same pattern. I am using a solid sandbag rest. I was using a bipod. Took it off and tried using just sandbags today.

These pics are not in the order of the groups I shot. The shooting order is 1, 4, 2, 3.

Attachments

• UiSiSHQCTqSRvDhaluqSmw.jpg
    UiSiSHQCTqSRvDhaluqSmw.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • e3N16exIQvKCDK89iulvFA.jpg
    e3N16exIQvKCDK89iulvFA.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • dGo2YwlfTyqGcbJdurQ2ZQ.jpg
    dGo2YwlfTyqGcbJdurQ2ZQ.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 61
  • %qv+fC+aQuKua8rXGN2eyA.jpg
    %qv+fC+aQuKua8rXGN2eyA.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I know you don't want to believe it but I think you have a bad scope. I know it sucks but they all make bad ones. If you keep shooting and getting bad results then you are going to spend as much in ammo as a new scope cost.

Les, sorry to hear you are struggling on the accuracy side of things. I'm going to send you a PM with a few questions and things to try and if that is not an easy fix then I will have one of our Tech Reps reach out to you to take a deeper dive into it. Either way, I can assure you Bergara stands 100% behind it if there is an issue with the rifle. Thanks, Nate
Nate, I have not gotten any information from you. Someone said you posted something, but I cannot find it. I would like any info you have. Thanks

Time to change scope, that is what it sounds like to me. That would be the easiest to start with, get some factory ammo and see if it settles down. Then work on handloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.