Brand new Bergera 300 win mag not shooting accurately

Well, I have purchased two one was a present for our Grandson in 7mm Rem Mag and out of the box accurate with factory ammo. I was able to develop loads for it shooting at .50 MOA consistently. I have one for myself in 6.5 Creedmoor, it is accurate, with factory ammo and with my handloads, just getting started, took me a little time to get it shooting at .730 MOA with Berger 140 EOL, however I did not get to go further with it since our season has started and I am down to around 30 bullets left and nobody has them in stock. Your rifle is not the first time I have heard of problems when chambered in 300 Win Mag., another person on here had same problems as you described and it ended up being the scope.

You ever tried a different bullet than the Hornady? I didn't read through it again and couldn't remember if you had or not. Sometimes, rifles just wont shoot a certain bullet. I have a Bergara Ridge in 300 win mag and it shoots great with 215 gr bergers behind 75 grs of H1000 with a CCI magnum primer.

Well, I have purchased two one was a present for our Grandson in 7mm Rem Mag and out of the box accurate with factory ammo. I was able to develop loads for it shooting at .50 MOA consistently. I have one for myself in 6.5 Creedmoor, it is accurate, with factory ammo and with my handloads, just getting started, took me a little time to get it shooting at .730 MOA with Berger 140 EOL, however I did not get to go further with it since our season has started and I am down to around 30 bullets left and nobody has them in stock. Your rifle is not the first time I have heard of problems when chambered in 300 Win Mag., another person on here had same problems as you described and it ended up being the scope.
Back in the early 80's a friend of mine purchase a 7mm BDL Rem Mag. Out of the box, and my brother knowledge of the the cartridge. In a few days came up with a tack drive. Nothing special to the case, just powder, primers, and bullets. No glass bedding, nor trigger work. Just put on a scope with nothing special done there either. Under a 1/2" groups.

Greetings. I am new to this forum. It was recommended to me, that I might find some answers here. This is my first 300 win mag. It has been a long time coming, waiting and saving. It was a big day to bring it home. Bought two different kinds of federal ammo (it is all they had). Best group was about 3" at 100. Most were worse. I was very VERY put out. From everything I heard, these were tack drivers. I am using a vortex viper 6.5 x 20 scope. I used the spent brass and tried several loads. I am shooting 180 Gr. Hornady bullets. Tried 76 gr RL22 with 215 Magnum primers. That brought it down to a 2" group. Totally unacceptable. (I bought a sub-moa rifle, not a slug gun.). I use IMR 4350 for 30-06. I have tried several loads with it from 70 grains to 74.5 (WAY too hot!). I got a couple groups that were sort of OK. One was a 2" vertical group, exactly in line with each successive shot going lower. Anyway, I am very frustrated with this. I love everything about this rifle and set up except its apparent lack of accuracy - which everyone raves about in these rifles. Is there an over-the-counter load that I can try that will at least give me a consistent basis to say the rifle is OK? I am very grateful for some load data. The RL22 load I used seems to be common with others, but a 2" triangle at 100 yards is not my idea of accuracy. Many thanks for any help you can give. Les

Les,
Sorry for the issues you are having . I know our Proven ammo in that caliber is Norma 180 grain ORYX . That is what we have seen that works the best with our model rifle in that caliber . If you could give me a call or shoot me an email we can help on getting this resolved for you . Phone number 877 892 7544 / Email [email protected]

Last edited:
Greetings. I am new to this forum. It was recommended to me, that I might find some answers here. This is my first 300 win mag. It has been a long time coming, waiting and saving. It was a big day to bring it home. Bought two different kinds of federal ammo (it is all they had). Best group was about 3" at 100. Most were worse. I was very VERY put out. From everything I heard, these were tack drivers. I am using a vortex viper 6.5 x 20 scope. I used the spent brass and tried several loads. I am shooting 180 Gr. Hornady bullets. Tried 76 gr RL22 with 215 Magnum primers. That brought it down to a 2" group. Totally unacceptable. (I bought a sub-moa rifle, not a slug gun.). I use IMR 4350 for 30-06. I have tried several loads with it from 70 grains to 74.5 (WAY too hot!). I got a couple groups that were sort of OK. One was a 2" vertical group, exactly in line with each successive shot going lower. Anyway, I am very frustrated with this. I love everything about this rifle and set up except its apparent lack of accuracy - which everyone raves about in these rifles. Is there an over-the-counter load that I can try that will at least give me a consistent basis to say the rifle is OK? I am very grateful for some load data. The RL22 load I used seems to be common with others, but a 2" triangle at 100 yards is not my idea of accuracy. Many thanks for any help you can give. Les
Now that you suffered through the clean/shoot break-in stuff I would spend some time first shooting some ladder tests recording your velocities to find where your velocity nodes are. This will narrow where you should be setting you powder loads and save a lot of time. I used to try random powder loads with random seating depths. You can burn a lot of components doing it that way.

So you could shoot IMR4350 using some set up similar to the following table collecting the velocity from each shot. I usually load to .040 off to make sure rounds will chamber safely. Since you already know 74.5 is way over pressure end your ladder at 74. This will identify your rifle's velocity jump points which you should stay away from as it can cause big ES and SD fluctuations. Plus you will find your rifle's real max and have a nice record of velocities to check your rifle against as the barrel ages. At some point 100-250 rounds your barrel will speed up and if you have this data you catch it. A speed up of 40-50 fps can change your ballistic calculations a lot.

ShotPowder loadVelocity
11​
74​
10​
73.8​
9​
73.6​
8​
73.4​
7​
73.2​
6​
73​
5​
72.8​
4​
72.6​
3​
72.4​
2​
72.2​
1​
72​

Once you find a good flat velocity node you can pick that powder charge and try some accuracy groups (3-5 rounds each) with seating depth changes, like 10, 20, 30, 40 ,50 off etc. I usually shoot 3 shot groups initially to minimize component use then if I find a good group I'll shoot larger ones to repeat them. I know H1000 is hard to find right now but the Enduron IMR7977 and IMR8133 powders are pretty available and should work great in a 300 WIN. They are the IMR versions of H1000 and Retumbo. Sometimes Vihtavuori N565 and N570 are also in stock and these are similar to H1000 and Retumbo as well. I used RL22 in the old days in my 7mm STW but compared to the newer powders its pretty temp sensitive.

Anyway, you're in the fun part of load development try not to be frustrated and have fun experimenting. You'll find a recipe for your rifle, the 300 WIN has a rep for being very accurate.

How many 300wm do you have ? Did you ever contact NateT he posted on your home page all his contact info, or is this thread just about one bullet you cant get to shoot? Sorry but your other post has me confused.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-10-15-27-34.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-10-15-27-34.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Les,
Sorry for the issues you are having . I know our Proven ammo in that caliber is Norma 180 grain ORYX . That is what we have seen that works the best with our model rifle in that caliber . If you could give me a call or shoot me an email we can help on getting this resolved for you . Phone number 877 892 7544 / Email [email protected]
Thanks. I just saw this post. will shoot you and email right now.

How many 300wm do you have ? Did you ever contact NateT he posted on your home page all his contact info, or is this thread just about one bulet you cant get to shoot? Sorry but your other post has me confused.
I have only one. I have been hunting with it. It is not up to par for longer range shots yet. I bought this gun to hunt and for long range shooting. I don't know about a Nate. What home page did he post on? Jose left info and I have sent him an Email. Thanks.

October Nate T left his contact info for you, click on your name , when the little box comes up click on it again. Or you can go to the top right corner of the screen and click on your user name.Check it out .

Last edited:
i have had same problem i own 2 hunter & wilderness terrain in 6.5cm they said shoot 140gr eldm both shot 1.5/2in i have got hunter to shootsub moa i am not sold on bergara yet good luck with your 300

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.