Brakes on a hunting gun

Amazed by the wealth of information here. I'm thankful for everybody's replies. I think I'm going to put a brake on. I'll just make sure I have ear-pro on. If I have to react quickly for a chance encounter shot and I don't have time to put the hearing protection on then so be it. I'm willing to let the animal win occasionally if it means I save my hearing.
Do a search on here for what brake. There are a few good ones and a lot that are so so.

Steve

I've got to say that Gunwerks makes a hell of a brake. I shot a 9 1/2 pound (scoped weight) 375 H&H today and was shocked at how tame it was. It was sythetic stocked, carbon barreled custom by Gunwerks. Amaziing how easy top shoot it was. I'm a believer.

I gave up brakes when I realized that my hearing was rapidly deteriorating and now I won't even be on the firing line on a range if someone is shooting a braked rifle.

Hearing loss is subtle and will sneak up on you and you will have suffered fairly severe hearing loss before you even realize it.

I now wear hearing aids because of many many years of shooting and yes I always wore hearing protection. You can only hope to slow down the hearing loss even with serious hearing protection if you shoot a lot.

Don't be ignorant or stupid. Wear the best hearing protection you can possibly get and know that even using ear plugs AND muffs at a range will still only minimize the damage.

In hunting situations you rarely have the close by hard surfaces such as shooting station roofs and concrete floors to reflect the muzzle blast back to you which compounds the damage. In hunting situations ear plugs such as those Len recommends are probably adequate but I'm still staying away from braked rifles.

Being nearly deaf is no joke and even with hearing aids I simply don't hear what most people do.

Once at the range a guys brought a 7 Rem Mag without a brake. All my stuff has brakes. Another fellow was shooting a 7 Ackley with no brake. Both of us agreed the 7 mag was way louder than my rifle using the brake. I don't know the what the loud load was, but mine was over sixty grains of powder.

Guns are loud!

I struggle with Tinnitus as well, and I would be willing to bet most of it came as a result of making some really stupid choices when I was younger. Now I shoot suppressed, and I STILL WEAR ELECTRONIC HEARING PROTECTION. I use etymotic research plugs, and I am looking into getting some custom molded ones that are a little more high end. Do not take one single risk when it comes to your hearing. I have even passed up shots on animals because I didn't have hearing protection readily available. It's just not worth it. When I hunted with a brake, I would keep my electronic protection in and on at all times, and I carried a set of muffs to go over those as well when it came time to shoot. I just made it part of my pre shot routine.

Tinnitus sucks, I have had it for years and it only gets worse. My LR rig has a brake. I have these around my neck on every outing and will not even consider taking a shot without them. If I cant get a shot off before putting them in, I don't take it. Period. The good thing is they are quick to put in and very effective.

Attachments

• 29233046.jpg
    29233046.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 97
Another consideration on Brake v no-Brake, beyond recoil and noise for the shooter, is the consideration for the spotter.

That noise also puts them at risk and that can be higher due to the shape of the shock waves coming out in their direction (much worse for the spotters than the shooters).

Then, there is the debris that can jet back into their face. I have had guys throw down over a snow covered boulder and go prone. When they pulled the trigger, another spotter and myself were blasted with so much granite debris and snow that it blew my sunglasses off my face. I was very lucky I wasn't hurt. I was about shoulder width apart and even with the shooter, which is about the angle that most brakes will jet back.

I don't use brakes on my own rigs, and I am very leery around them when they are used.

Another less important consideration is the cleaning, which is also made slightly more difficult with the brake. The cleaning of the brake is a minor hit when compared to the sound and blast risks. When brake cleaning is neglected, the risk of residue build-up being blasted back gets higher.

The blast risks can be mitigated over snow or debris with designs that are aligned so no blast goes downward. The noise risk can also be mitigated by spotters and shooters wearing electronic plugs or muffs, (which I can't recommend enough).

I saw a comment about not taking a shot when the hunter doesn't feel they have time to put muffs on, but I respectfully disagree. Some very easy shots can be made that are relatively short presentations. I would say about half of all of mine are in that category and there was plenty enough time to shoot well, but not if there was another thing to do like mounting muffs. It is far too easy to just wear electronic plugs, and for what we all spend hunting and shooting, it is ridiculous to put a low value on hearing damage. The plugs are cheap by comparison to most of our gear and effort.

Good Luck in any case with the new rig. I would say to do whatever you think it takes to make first round hits, and wear electronic plugs regardless.

I agree with BALLISTICSGUY I have never felt the recoil when shooting at something that bleeds. Animal or other. The issue is practicing shooting at targets I have felt too much recoil so I have a break on my 7mm RUM and my 28 Nosler.
On the other side I also dont ever remember hearing any ringing in my ears after shooting at something that bleeds. And unlike just about everyone else here I dont have hearing peotection while hunting. I have never thought I would have the time to deal with it along with everything else before taking the shot. But after all the shooting as a kid without hearing protection and then my time in the military when I did/didnt use any I am about 1/2-3/4 deaf and have that annoying ringing in my ears every minute I am awake. So I would have to agree with everyone use something! I have the electronic ear muffs that I will try if I make it back out to colorado elk hunting. Either way they will keep my ears warm. Good luck to you. And I would 100000% put a break on. Too many shots at thw range without one can make some people gun shy and you dont want to be flinching when the shot really matters. Some people can shoot those big guns all day long. Others need to break a 270 win. To each their own. Do what you gotta do!

Tinnitus sucks, I have had it for years and it only gets worse. My LR rig has a brake. I have these around my neck on every outing and will not even consider taking a shot without them. If I cant get a shot off before putting them in, I don't take it. Period. The good thing is they are quick to put in and very effective.

+1 For these plugs. Took me a few hunting trips to get used to them, but now they go right in before a shot in the field.

I absolutely HATE brakes. They may take some recoil off but the trade off for the noise isn't worth it. I hunt with ear plugs, but still don't find brakes necessary. If the recoil were too much, I'd rather shoot a rifle with less power than have a brake installed.

There is one other option that I haven't seen discussed.
What about using a suppressor?
Granted, due to possible legal obstacles, price and wait times a suppressor may be a possibility. It would solve the recoil and noise problem at the same time.

Interesting thread. I've found from experience the hunt guides don't particularly like braked rifles and the last thing I have noticed is felt recoil and noise when hunting something that bleeds as well.

Having said that, the older I get (I'm pushing 70), the lighter I want my rifle to be. When I was younger, weight meant little. Now that I'm an old fart, weight is everything. My current stick weighs under 8 pounds, scoped and loaded. My next one will weigh even less.

Brakes have their purpose, but I can't shoot next to anyone at the range with a brake. None of my guns have a brake. My 460 came with a brake and I took it off because of the noise. I did shoot it a few times with the break on, but not for a long while now. I can handle the recoil, but not on a bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts