Brake for Tikka T3x Superlite

SumTingWong

I have a T3x Superlite in .270 Win. It kicks like a mule, making my 300 WinMag look gentle. After about 20 shots at the range, I literally have multiple bruises, and can't shoot much more than 5 more rounds.

I put a Limb Saver on in, but it was not really much of a change.
When hunting, I don't really need many shots, so it's not a huge issue, but I'd like to shoot it more at the range.

Any recommendations for a brake? Should I call Tikka, and see what they recommend?

Also does Tikka to gunsmithing, if I sent it to them?

Thanks!
Dave

Howdy, I will share what I have tried.
Ultradyne, APA, MBM, Area 419, Weatherby brakes, Harrell's, Holland's. Weatherby brakes work, MBM, APA and Area 419. Hope this helps. 👌

Terminator T1 is a great sized brake for the super lightweight profile of the barrel. The finish of the brake matches the Tikka perfectly as well.

t1.png

Video is of a T1+ brake on a Tikka. Slightly larger, but still a good size for the barrel profile.

Last edited:
Any side port brake aught to work but its gonna bark!
Being from a free state I went another route= The old aught6 is finally on my fun gun list.
thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

I have a T3x Superlite in .270 Win. It kicks like a mule, making my 300 WinMag look gentle. After about 20 shots at the range, I literally have multiple bruises, and can't shoot much more than 5 more rounds.

When hunting, I don't really need many shots, so it's not a huge issue, but I'd like to shoot it more at the range.

Any recommendations for a brake? Should I call Tikka, and see what they recommend?

Thanks!
Dave
Do you have access to a local gunsmith to thread your muzzle? If so, have him do it instead of sending it to Tikka. You have plenty of choices of excellent and effective side port muzzle brakes, including self-indexing, as @Darkside and @martinakl provided. Radial brakes are the worst muzzle brakes (holes all around) I have ever used.

Thanks!
Dave
Dave,

I had the same problem with my 6.5x55 Tikka Hunter. It had such a sharp kick that I didn't enjoy shooting it. I ended up having the muzzle threaded and bought an APA micro bastard brake that is self timing which means that I can easily remove it whenever I want. Makes the gun much more fun to shoot but it is loud. Added bonus, once I get my suppressor I'll be able to screw that on.

Warren

Watch the YouTube compensator challenges, the ones performed somewhat scientifically lol with a load cell, etc. I watched several and went with the Ultradyne Apollo Max.
I took off my EC Tuner brake and installed the Apollo Max.. BIG difference in recoil reduction. I shoot a heavy 708 so it now shoots like a loud 22 😬 I hate recoil!!

@Ugly Dog: I like the idea of the Vais, as it directs a good portion of the noise forward. Are there others that do that as well?
BTW, I just saw (today) several of them in stock at Brownell's, although their website appears non-functional. Maybe closing out?

@martinakl: I've read a few good reviews about the T2 and TT. Was also considering a TT, but if I can find one that directs some of the audio forward, that would be ideal.

@MachV: Yeah, I'm jealous. I live in PRK (Kalifornie), so I feel lucky just to own weapons...

@FEENIX: I have several gunsmiths here in San Diego. Unfortunately, although I have many friends with rifles, no one has a gunsmith they
trust for something like this. If I found one that had many positive reviews, I'd consider that, but so far, I'm not aware of any.
You said you don't like radial brakes. Are you talking about ones like the Vais? If so, why not?

@Outdrmn: I have a friend who has a Lil Beast, on his 30-06. Even with good hearing protection, it was LOUD. I'm guessing most brakes are,
but since watching a few videos about the Vais, I'm hoping an option that directs just a little to the front is available.

@Warrenoliver: Unfortunately, they only make those for 6.5, and 308.

@Texis: That's an interesting-looking brake. Unfortunately, they don't make them in 270. I'm starting to see a pattern. But, I will take
take your advice and look for some of those compensator challenges.

When I read about the Vais lowering noise levels, as well as braking, I was interested as I'd not seen that as a possibility. Not sure if others do this, but any input is appreciated!

Thanks for all the responses!
Dave

The 30 cal Apollo Max works great on 284.. I don't see another .007 makes much difference. One of the various challenges drills out a brake checking bullet clearance vs recoil reduction.. it is surprising the effects are not what you may think. Checkout Ulimate Reloader videos.

@FEENIX: I have several gunsmiths here in San Diego. Unfortunately, although I have many friends with rifles, no one has a gunsmith they
trust for something like this. If I found one that had many positive reviews, I'd consider that, but so far, I'm not aware of any.
You said you don't like radial brakes. Are you talking about ones like the Vais? If so, why not?
Yes, I was referring to Vais and Gentry Quiet Brake (nothing quiet about). I had them both a few years ago and could not get rid of them quickly enough. I do not like them because it is not as effective as side port baffle types. Also, I don't particularly appreciate blowing debris when shooting prone.

Gentry quiet MB.jpg

I purchased a .300 WSM rifle (for the action for a price I cannot refuse) two years ago with a Vais brake installed. I have some spare .30 cal MBs. Unfortunately, it is not the same thread. However, it is OK because I will only use it for target practice at the range.

1675649233693.png