Boy cries WOlF.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I live where they reside, and the small herds of ELK that once used to be here, and by that I mean in on my property that I coined the term "Ranching for Wildlife" and allowed them to use my 40 acres as a sanctuary to raise their young, eat, and drink from the creek, and not be molested by anyone on my property I take offense to that whole idea........ Now that they are non-existant and down to such low numbers around me I stopped hunting Elk, and Deer! The sheer loss of game animals is unprecedented in this day and age for an animal like the Wolf that can't be eaten, will never put food on my table or any other poor person that used to supply his family through the Winter! It was a way of life taken away, but hey you don't live here, no one wants to come hunt here or Montana anymore in the numbers that once was so you're barking up the wrong tree!

Motels, bars, restaurants, butchers, taxidermist have all suffered from the fallout from this huge mistake which has cost Millions of Dollars in lost revenue that will never come back in my lifetime! It was a Sick Joke to eradicate humans from managing wildlife populations....... But Hey, I never killed a fawn, a doe with her yearling, a Cow with it's young or anything like that....... But who cares right, the Wolf doesn't know any better, or feed off just the sick and old, nope I'll show you what happens when a WOlF bites a animal and doesn't kill it. I dies a slow death until it can't take another step and falls over from starvation!
Longrange it was not a mistake it was done on purpose by the nun hunter the bamby lovers. Think about it if there is nothing to hunt why would you need a weapon think about what i'm saying.

@longrangehunterII how does it work shooting an animal like that? Does it go on a tag or treated like a coyote/varmint? Did you have to report it so biologists can study it?

I would love to go wolf hunting. You need tags and out of state points like if you were to go elk or mule deer hunting right?
That's where this could get sticky if the F&G calls it a Wolf and you don't have a Tag, or in a State that doesn't allow hunting of Wolves and you were the poor guy thinking you just took the Biggest Coyote in your life!

I once took a 45 lb Coyote in the Upper Michigan, it was not thought to be a Coywolf though since that was Decades ago. But Yes I did report it to the local F&G Warden via email within minutes after taking it, and three hours later took it in from them to inspect. They took a chunk of the tongue for a DNA sample, and removed a tooth for aging animal.

Four days later I was issued a ticket for hunting without a license even though the animal was clearly predating on my property. I had been emailing the local F&G Warden, Mark Bowen months prior to this as well as four days before I shot this animal. The Law states a Wolf predating on land owners lands can be shot/killed without a license for molestation, chasing, an/or harassing of farm animals etc. But your Pets..... That said more importantly to me was that my blind girlfriend and her Service Dog walked my 1/2 mile long driveway twice a day and I wasn't going to just hope or pray nothing prayed on them one day! So I did what anyone would do to protect their family and killed it!

Mark Bowen didn't seem to care, and frankly neither did I for that matter.... The $200 fine was less than the cost of a single Vet visit stitching up my Dog and/or a blind woman weighing only 110 lbs. She wouldn't walk away unscathed without our Dog to step in during harm's way...... which was her Job and she was very good at that but just not a natural born killer either, way too sweet, but somewhat protective.. B- IMO?

I'm a Law Abiding Citizen 99.9% of the time! That was the 0.01% I said no way I'm going to sit this one out for chance and/or fate to play a role in my life. I dearly loved my best friend Lori, and our Dog Zuri.

As fate would have it I got a ticket doing something I thought was within the Law. Ask me if I care more for that animal vs anything else close to me and I'll more than likely make the same choice and like anything vile it will meet the same fate!

Read an article a few years ago that Canada was going
to have to start killing wolves or there would be no
more game animals left. The Lolo units in Idaho used to
have a huge healthy herd of Elk-not anymore. The wolves
have pretty well taken care of that. It isn't even a ghost
of what it used to be. A biologist wrote, that once the wolves
had taken care of the animals in Yellow Stone. The animals
outside the park were next. There was a reason that our
for father's got rid of the wolves. Also read that before the
Wolf was reintroduced, it was like a three legged stool.
The predators, poachers, and legal hunters each took about
equal amounts of game. Once the wolf was introduced the
resource could not bear up under the extra pressure-
Hence the decline. You gotta love the know it alls who
thought what a great idea it was to reintroduce the wolf.

The coywolf is already a big problem in the Northeast. When there's a female in heat, all that territorial stuff goes right out the window!
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner...... Let's say you're a lone Wolf, you're now in new territory after walking miles and miles, food is tough to catch alone, you're hardup, and what gets hard when a Bitch is in Heat..... That Wolf of course and that's why that theory doesn't hold true for all Wolves...... Call it Rape or whatever you'd like, a DOG is a DOG, and they all want the same thing every now and then so why would a Coyote risk death over a "Little Nookie" anyway?

The wolves are now in Washington, Northern Idaho, and Utah.

I live in western Wa. and talked to several local farmers that have lost a few calves and sheep to the wolves. They must eat the equivalent of 18-20 elk a year each just to sustain themselves. All predators are lazy and will take down the young of any deer species first and so there goes your local deer or elk herd. Ask yourself, how many calves does it take to equal to one grown elk? Now multiply that by a few hundred wolves and you will see why the number of wolves need to be strictly regulated and they must be hunted.
If you have a large spitz breed dog as a pet and live in an area where there are known wolves then please put a blaze vest or bright bandanna on them while hiking with your dogs off leash. I can't tell you how many times i've heard ignorant hikers say they think they saw a wolf or coyote on a trail and it was just a husky or other mixed breed. Years ago I had a neighbor in Colorado lose his GS/Wolf hybrid to hunter from Chicago just 3 hundred feet from his house. If your not sure what it is .... don't shoot it!!

carl 1775, uninformed
Just in Yellowstone park they were supposed to manage for 30 breeding pairs, now there are 300-500 breeding pairs, Decimating the Moose Elk and Deer. There is no balance right now!
The Idaho F&G Dept 2016 info:
Population Size After peaking in 2008 at 849 wolves, Idaho's estimated number of wolves in documented packs, other documented groups, and lone wolves at year-end stabilized between 684 and 786 wolves during 2010-2015 (Figure 2). Subsequent to CY2015, monitoring has shifted to estimating the number of wolf packs rather than establishing a number of wolves in documented packs.

What's surprising is they're using old data from their own home page.... What a Joke! I once saw on their website a map and the location of supposed KNOWN individual wolves a few years ago, and it was 980 in the State. I can't find that same map on their site now.

If you want to kill "dogs," focus on coyotes. No problems there. They are expanding and look to be thriving. Domestics have humans and wolves are too few. I'm all about conservation. I will never support the sole preservation, or eradication of any species. There needs to be a balance.
100%,

Longrange it was not a mistake it was done on purpose by the nun hunter the bamby lovers. Think about it if there is nothing to hunt why would you need a weapon think about what i'm saying.
Yes Sir, you're spot-on! I've seen this coming decades ago when they were released into Yellowstone when I lived in Montana, remove something from the population and what purpose is a firearm unless for personal defense, i.e. home invasions and/or Thug's on the street. BTW I'm NOT ones of those that "carry" and never have been, but I did carry a FA 454 Casull for protection from those things that bite and are a lot stronger than me.... Boo Boo's parents, but I never yanked it on any Wild animal.

That said I did once in West Yellowstone on a huge Dog chained to a tree in a Horse corral that attacked my dog...... My Dog wasn't afraid of anything, she was super sweet to anything except Bear, and Mountain Lions. I tried to tell her don't go near that animal...... She wouldn't listen and slowly took her time to befriend it..... That big dog pretended to not care and waited till she got face to face and ripped her off her feet shaking her like a Rag Doll! She ****ed all over herself, and I told the owner I would kill that Dog for that type of behavior!

We lost what Teddy Roosevelt worked so hard to achieve, and I'll quote him:

It is also vandalism wantonly to destroy or to permit the destruction of what is beautiful in nature, whether it be a cliff, a forest, or a species of mammal or bird. Here in the United States we turn our rivers and streams into sewers and dumping-grounds, we pollute the air, we destroy forests, and exterminate fishes, birds and mammals -- not to speak of vulgarizing charming landscapes with hideous advertisements. But at last it looks as if our people were awakening.

Well that's going south pretty quickly around here as far as Big Game animals to hunt for table fare!

Statements like that make it pretty obvious you do not live where wolves are present. You might want to tread lightly because its very clear you don't have a clue on the wolf situation in this part of the country.

I tread lightly everywhere I go. Pack out more than I pack in and try to be the best steward to the environment that I can. Something that is obviously lost to many, when it comes to the polarizing subject of the Timber wolf. I've never been to Washington D.C., either, but I sure am a fan of the American political system. So, your argument and "warning" are rubbish. Keep on doing your thing...

Correctamundo! It wasn't by luck BTW, it was a 3/4 looking away angle shot, and View attachment 163616 well placed in my opinion, but I'll let you decide?

I was absolutely not calling your marksmanship, into question. You brought up the scenario, of a "snap" decision. I was curious about the particulars of the shot, ie. distance, set-up, time of day, etc. If it came out like I was putting you down, that certainly was not my intent.

So FWIW I was just in Yellowstone N.P. over Thanksgiving and saw more Elk than in years prior. My GF and I cut a Wolf track in the fresh snow walking down the trail on top of Mammoth Hot Springs. The drive to Cooke City we saw one big herd of Elk that numbered maybe 70-90 Elk way off in the distance. (A mile at least on a high ridge) We sat and waited for an hour hoping to catch a glimpse of maybe a Wolf pack hunting them down but nothing happened while we waited...... I have seen 35-40 Wolves hunt in Yellowstone years ago chasing the Elk around and taking a calf down.

Not what I'd call humane, but got the job done. A good a Marksmen/hunter makes that look far more surgical then being eaten alive.... We are Humans after all and I'd think most hunters do their best to humanely take Game with modern weapons in this day and age.

I'm posting this because after reading a previous post I'm wondering in the heat of the moment and depending on how long or short you may..... or may not have (a few seconds or more, and/or in a few nanoseconds) could you tell what you see here in a few seconds?

Be honest too, what's on the ground? Anything in the photo that seems odd?

Most of the time you might only get a quick second or two....... maybe a little more depending on the Timber or whatever small openings there are at the time until your quarry runs off.

So what is it?

View attachment 163579
Looks like a road kill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts