Bought wrong scope by accident!!

Southernboy2563

I recently purchased a viper vortex pst 6-24x50 from basspro. I ordered it online with a promo that guaranteed it hear before Christmas which was what I was after. In my haste I accidentally ordered a mrad instead of moa scope. I am not familiar with the mrad system at all as I am still new to this sport. My question is if I get Kenton industries or a similar company to build me a custom turret can they put the increments back in moa or is that not possible? I'm not sure if the internal adjustments on the scope as far as clicks goes is the same for moa and the mrad models. I assume that it's not but haven't found the correct answer yet. I'm sure I can exchange it after the holidays but if I can either change the turret cap like suggested or just learn the mrad system I rather do that. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Both the thread pitch and the number of clicks per rev are generally different between the two.

If you train yourself to use mil/mil, then range estimating and correcting missed shots will be easier in the long run. That's because the math is so easy to do in your head. One mrad always represents a distance equal to the range divided by 1,000. One mrad at 100 m range is 100 mm, or 10 cm, or 4". That math is easy for me.

It helps a lot if you can think in terms of meters and centimeters instead of yards and inches. Converting fractions of a yard to inches is more complicated for my brain.

Opinions vary widely in this issue. If you're not comfortable with a metric system and can return the scope, then that is the easy route.

Thanks for breaking down and making it simpler sounding for me. I'm pretty good with math but doing fractions in my head aren't my idea of fun. I have a good friend that has been in the long range sport for a long time and he is going to make me out a chart to put in my scope cap to use as a reference. Thanks guys again for the help!

Better to use your brain for 'correcting missed shots' -before missing shots.
And when you buy a laser rangefinder, make sure it reads in yards.

I fought all my friends on MOA vs mil for a long time with me sticking to MOA. Finally I "got it" and bought a MIL scope. Since the reticle in most scopes is already mil I find MIL turrets MUCH easier to use now. Spend some time watching youtube videos or reading about MIL/MIL scopes and you will be just like me which is MOA free. I ended up selling every moa turret scope I had. Cost me a fortune but MIL is the way to go for sure especially on FFP scopes

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts