Borescope of my 338 Edge crown after 500+ rounds

Give Darrel Holland a call and get his product Wiitchs Brew. This is the same stuff that Brian Litz uses to clean his barrels.
When you need to get the barrel clean this will certainly do it without removing barrel metal. I have used this for the last year and typically use it as maintenance cleaning solution. Every 75 to 100 rounds I go in with the witchs brew for 18 chamber to muzzle strokes and good to go barrel looks great in the bore scope. Much better than any paste product and only take out what need to come out.

The 6.5 saum's are notorious for a carbon ring at 80-100 rounds. KG1 and a nylon brush gets it out. I used to use butches bore shine for copper, but the kg1 is getting 99 percent of the copper out.

I started cleaning carbon every 50 or so. On a comp rifle I do it after every match. I only remove copper if the barrel fouls bad or accuracy goes to crap. Carbon is the devil, copper not so much. I use bore tech after a gunsmith buddy turned me on to it. Love the products. So in the end I go to the field with a fouled barrel but am always wary of carbon. For example
I notice carbon oxidizes and gets a weird gray chalky feel and appearance after a couple weeks. Before I hunt I'll dry patch the carbon a couple times and have noticed a better 1st round performance for the cold bore shot.

I was reading an article about removing carbon with CLR. Author claimed it worked miracles on carbon fouling. Anyone ever tried this? Maybe it's a solution?

Attachments

• D8A736EC-9061-497B-8E5D-CE86BD95E6AF.jpeg
    D8A736EC-9061-497B-8E5D-CE86BD95E6AF.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 92
Definitely copper fouling, but I would love to know how to get every bit out of there! I use montana extreme, sweets, shooters choice. Used SC then Montana Extreme on it tonight before attacking the carbon with a bronze brush and top engine cleaner.

Crown wont erode? Sure looked like erosion to me. I threw it in the lathe and recrowned it anyway. We'll see on paper if the groups tighten up.
Kroil! Let it soak and brush.

UPDATED with new video

Started to lose accuracy in the last 100 rounds and decided to check out the barrel. I took one video of the entire bore from muzzle to chamber and another video of just the crown to show erosion. A recrown is in order and I'll post results. Let me know if you guys see anything. Thanks

Here is after the recrown and cleaning

JB Borebright would be an option at this point.

Im no expert on barrels, but have wore out a few. I can't help but think the throat is where you get a burned out barrel on over bore rounds such as 338 Edge. And I'm sure like me, you push it's limits. Again no expert but I think your throat portion is eroding. The lands are far from smooth and shiny. Just my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong and your cleaning does the trick

I'm with feelinducky where do you see the carbon ring.

Thanks Gary
Carbon ring is in the leading edge of the neck area as it transitions into the lead of the chamber. So if you are looking through your bore scope you will see a ring of carbon build up in the chamber at the end of where the case neck would be positioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.