Bone to pick with new rifle owners - 100 yards out of the box

I remember my one and only 300 yard kill and I thought that was a loooong way off. It was a good while back, after I had gotten the long range hunting bug. I bought a Remington 700, .308, added a Leupold scope (it's on a .22LR now, where it belongs...). What did they call that triangle barrel rifle? The first two shots out of it were good, after that, the triangle barrel that wasn't supposed to move, moved. I changed the trigger to a Jewell and set it to 1#. I tuned my loads (learned a lot about reloading). Finally... deer season was here. I hunted a nice little high fence ranch in the hill country. The owner had a 8 point or better rule and we saw an s-ton of 8 point or less bucks. His son couldn't convince his dad to manage his deer. Anyway, By the end of the weekend nobody had a deer so he relaxed the 8 point rule and said we could take a doe too (under pressure from his son). The last morning they put me on a stand on a powerline right of way and left me to my "hunt" (I'm just going to say, native Texan here, I've bow hunted and rifle hunted in NW Louisiana, sitting in a box isn't hunting). The sun was well up when a deer eased out way down the sendero. I ranged him, dialed the scope up, and looked at that tiny little target for a long time. I finally talked myself into taking a shot. The deer ran in a circle for a few seconds then fell over dead. That was the most nerve wracking experience of my hunting life. And I was pretty fired up that I made a clean kill at a legit 300 yards.

As much as I would like to try it again, with my upgraded equipment, I don't know... there's a lot more to shooting medium to long range than what I experienced on level ground. A few degrees of up or down angle, a little cant, altitude vs what my reloads were tested at, etc, etc.

I stepped into the F-class spiderweb for a little while but I don't have the time or dinero (not even counting the rifle, that's not an expense, just more happiness) to compete in F-class (not saying I won't try some day lol). My reloading ability picked up a bunch of notches...

Had a buddy ask to borrow a muzzleloader or a pistol for a hunt. I asked if he had ever shot a muzzleloader - nope- . So we spent a few days at the range . Cva paramount pro 45 cal and a 4x14x50 nightforce shv for a scope . Went over how to load the gun and how the scope works ffp scope . He shot 4 inches to the left of my zero . So we made the scope adjustment and he was dialed in at 100 yds . Had him shoot my Contender in 223 and the striker in 22-250 out to 50 yds . After his hunt he says he missed and something must be off with the gun . He and his boy took turns trying to hit at 100 . I took the muzzleloader back to the range and put 1 shot out and it was exactly 4 inches to the right . The difference we moved from my zero to his . Loaded 1 more and went 4 left and bullseye . I did ask if he was good with the recoil it was shooting 112 gr of blackhorn and a 285 powerbelt elr.

'Way back in the 1970's, I was a Guide in Alaska for 8 years. Prospective clients would always ask, "What kind of rifle should I bring"? My answer was always the same: bring your favorite deer rifle. Yeah, once in a while some guy would bring a Model 94 in .30-30 or .32 Spl. but I was far more content with him than with the guy who pulls out his .340 Weatherby of his gun case and the sales tag is still attached.

Now that the cheerleading expo is mercifully over, I will chime in. I think there are "posers" in every hobby. Motorcycling, shooting, golf, figure skating, etc. The greater their means, the more they often stand out. A lot of times this happens in mid-life, when folks have realized their peak earning potential. Take the 55 year old guy who goes out and buys an Electraglide and has never been on a bike before. Scary.

I spend a lot of time with my rifles. I've been a hand loader since 2008 and have incrementally increased my skill set over the years. I've found that I can wring at least another MOA (over factory fodder) out of any rifle I own, mass produced or semi-custom. I know my limits and while I've rung steel at 1000, I have no business hunting at those distances. About 1/2 that is my limit. The other thing is that I'm spoiled. Bipods, sand bags and shooting rails are my best friends….and I use them as often as I can, with the exception of 60-70 yard shots in my back woods or when it's just not practical to do so.

Every once in a while, I post a basic 8" NRA small bore target at 100 yards next to the grid target I use to shoot groups and test my "O"off the bench. I'll bang out a .25 MOA 5 Shot group with my Cooper Custom Classic, then I force myself to repeat the process standing free-hand. Very humbling and You don't want to see the results. I'm a shooter. Not a "rifleman" and I know it. The good news is, I know my equipment, I know the essential tools I need to take "longer" shots and I exploit them to my full advantage. At the end of the day, it's fun and that's what makes it worth doing. It will remain fun as long as I remember what Harry Callahan said in Magnum Force: "A man's got to know his limitations."
So true…I ride started at 13, yes steading a rifle while standing was way easier in my younger years. I may not be the best teacher but countless times at the range it seems I wound up helping someone that was either being dangerous in the handling of a firearm or just needed the basics to be hitting the target. It is rewarding to see it all come together for someone.

I'd guess most go to a local indoor range, zero at the 100yd max, then figure they're good to 600. I had a 300 yard outdoor range where I lived in TX and would spend a few hours every evening shooting 2-300. It's quite difference with a 6#, short barrel 308.

The really sad part is they're paying a guide $5k, probably another $10k on travel expenses, to miss. You won't see those stories on youtube.

Last edited:
Years ago I went on a moose hunt in Canada with a guy I knew. Jim wanted to take a rifle with a little more killing power than his 270, so I let him borrow my 300 Weatherby while I took my 375 H&H. For the area we were hunting, 100 yards shots are considered on the long end of the spectrum, with most shots being closer to 50 yards. For three weeks before we left, I badgered him to shoot and practice, according to him, work simply didn't afford him the time, even though he didn't work Saturdays or Sundays. It was all right that I'd spent hours working up a load and sighting the rifle in, but he couldn't spend a half hour just to practice. I had sighted the rifle in for a 100 yards but I explained to him that rifles shoot differently for every shooter and that he needed to make certain that the rifle zero was right for him. On the fifth day of the hunt I heard him shoot and went to investigate. From where he shot to the blood stain was 80 yards at most. All he kept repeating was, "he's a monster". He went, got the guide and began the search. Two hours and a couple of miles later they found themselves at the beginning of a swamp; this was the delineation line between the reserve we were hunting and Federal land that didn't permit hunting; he lost his moose. The guide surmised from the color of the blood that he'd missed the lungs, and hit the moose too far back. There's a hell of a difference between a 270 Winchester and a 300 Weatherby, you need to get acclimated to the recoil. The kill zone on a moose is twice that of a white tail, but he still managed to miss it at 80 yards. I didn't have to tell him he was an idiot, he knew. He lost a trophy of a lifetime just because he was to lazy to practice. Other than my son, I haven't allowed anyone to borrow one of my rifles since then. The SOB never even offered to pay for any of the bullets, powder and brass I bought for the hunt. That in itself should have told me something, never hunted with him again.

Come on guys---- this is life in general now--- everyone wants their food now, their amazon orders now, and everything for free. Yet people spend thousands on fancy gear they have no clue how to use.

I know gobs of people who have no idea how to check- let alone change oil in their car. Some don't know how to fill the wiper fluid either.

People show up to golf, with brand new high dollar clubs/gear and never hit a ball in their life before.

Archery shooters that don't know what the word "spline" means.

Snowboarders and skiers with thousands Into their gear that have never been on a chairlift before.

People that own a stihl or husky that don't know how to sharpen a blade.

Guys on carbonfiber ultralight bicycles with super tight clothes that get tired riding after a few miles.

I've seen guys on $50k motorcycles that can barely keep them standing at a stop light.

I could go on and on

People spend $1500 on a phone so they can text and watch YouTube

$10 cups of coffee, $3k shoes, $100k trucks ......

The thing that gets me about people that can't shoot but show up for hunting is that they got through hunters Ed/safety classes and passed--- maybe that's where we should be looking to improve the"system"--- a little more shooting proficiency, general knowledge, etc needs to be taught before giving them the "license" to go kill animals.
But we all know that any time the gooberment gets involved they just screw it up more.
Man you nailed it