Bone to pick with new rifle owners - 100 yards out of the box

The defining moment was when I had a S Colorado 3rd season muley tag. Trophy area.
Guy bought a 1000 yard rifle complete set up for elk. Probably spent north of 12k with Kahles scope. 2 boxes of ammo. New in box. Never shot.
Sat on a 340 bull for 3 hrs at 500 yards. Same guy that couldn't hit the 500 yard target. Outfitter let him shoot. Problem 1. Problem 2. With 3 hours to set up, thankfully he missed the entire bull. That's a 25" round area at 500 yards. F-ing 5 MOA!!!
And, let me guess- the guy proceeded to blame everything and everybody but himself!?
What a ***...

There are a bunch of those guys that do show up here on LRHF.
The OMG stuff they ask is endless.
T.P.
The difference is that we are here to learn, and asking questions is HOW we learn.
I admit to being dumb as a post (deaf as one, too) but I'll get better and someday, if the clock doesn't run out, I'll shoot an animal at long range.

I've been hunting for over 60 years and have only taken one animal at 600 yards and that was in the early 70's with a 2-7 power scope on a 30-06.....it's rare if I shoot more than 200 yards....
My longest attempt was just over 600 in yards. I was young and had no idea what I was doing. My longest kill shot was 218 yards most dear in my area are 150 or less. I shoot regularly out to 300 and am working on building a longer personal range.

Bone to pick and advice. Over the past ten years, we have seen a massive growth in out of the box 1000 yard capable rifles. Set up amazingly, built incredibly well and topped with amazing glass. Even engineered ammo. Then add ranging binos and ballistics calculators and you have a pretty amazing set up. True

If you buy one of these, awesome. SHOOT IT before you show up in camp. SO many times, I have been in camp trueing my D.O.P.E. and had some person show up with a rifle they have never shot and expecting to shoot their animal. They sit down, start shooting and wonder why they arent hitting the 500 yard target I set up.

Its because no one who cannot shoot 500 should try to shoot 500. Further more, shooting 600 is not a little harder than 500, its way harder. Just like shooting 1000 is not 2x as hard as shooting 500. NO its 10x harder. Especially in the field!! Especially with untested rifle, ammo, and hunter.

I have seen a few animals wounded and die terrible, long and painful deaths. Seen a few even not be recovered that were shot very badly. Please, show up ready to be an ethical hunter rather than showing up with bravado and ego. There is a reason military shooters have DOPE, so they hit the target correctly the first time! Then, true their dope...its takes time but the animal deserves it.
having spent much of my adult life working in various countries in africa as an engineer has afforded me the chance to hunt most all of the game the continent affords. from the mid 1970's when i arrived to the mid 1990's when i left i do not EVER recall shooting anything beyond 300 yards and virtually all my shots were under 200 yards and many well under 50 yards. in fact i doubt i could hit much of anything at 600-1000 yards and would not even try. frankly as an old school hunter and animal lover shooting at that distance unless you are an honest to god expert marksman is an irresponsible fools errand and to me takes away the best part of hunting..........the stalk where your skills and instincts rise to their best or not. the accurate shot is the cherry on the sundae for all your hard work to make it.

My longest attempt was just over 600 in yards. I was young and had no idea what I was doing. My longest kill shot was 218 yards most dear in my area are 150 or less. I shoot regularly out to 300 and am working on building a longer personal range.
Same here.
I don't shoot nearly enough to get good (yet) at truly long range but I'm learning. Luckily, I have always been over- cautious on less than ideal shots and have always been ok passing on shots that were beyond my effective range.
I'll keep practicing at an ever expanding range but until then, Im good hunting in closer.

Same here.
I don't shoot nearly enough to get good (yet) at truly long range but I'm learning. Luckily, I have always been over- cautious on less than ideal shots and have always been ok passing on shots that were beyond my effective range.
I'll keep practicing at an ever expanding range but until then, Im good hunting in closer.
I may shoot paper at one distance, but won't take an animal at that same distance it would be a closer distance.

You guys bring back memories of being in a local sporting goods store here in north Little Rock last year.
''Twas the night before opening day of deer season, a man walked in and purchased an AR15 ( with ammo ) to hunt deer with and had employee install scope and bore sight so he could go hunt with his buddies the next morning.

I listened to crusted old employee try to explain to him the error in his way, but it didn't matter he was set on his plan of action.

Oh and by the way, you could tell that guy had never operated an AR before.

You would think the salesman would say I'm not going to do this, but I've never seen that happen in all my years of gun shop lounging! In fact, more than once I've gotten that "be quiet" look after my expression says "somebody needs to stop this deal" Lol

I understand your pain, I too have seen the "new guy" in camp show up with a beautifully made rifle that drives tacks.....in the right hands..
Most of the time they have this bewildered look on their face when they miss an animal, and first thing they do is turn their rifle around looking at it like it's the rifles fault. Then someone else shoots the rifle at a 1 l water bottle at 300 and "poof" goes the bottle.
Yup..that's shooter error
I also want to point out that shooting is a perishable skill. Back in my armed forces days putting 4 or 5 rounds into a cigarette pack at 800 was a walk in the park.... And now?
Failing eyesight, working 2 jobs with little to no range time...well... I dont shoot over 300 anymore lol
I spend my time now teaching that new guy ( with younger and better eyesight) and a fancy rifle patience, humility, and throw in a few tips I learned along the way.
After all, knowledge is useless unless it's passed along
My .02c

I bought a Cooper 52 in 270 wby mag. Had Cooper put a scope on it. first trip to the range it didn't shoot to my point of aim but it did shoot a 100yd a 5 shot group under 1" right out of the box. I dialed it in at 300. just a few clicks of windage and elevation and it was dead nuts on with factory ammo. Ammo was expensive so I had only shot it 10 times. I took a muley at 480yds just using doping charts that the ammo maker provides online. But to your point -- I did shoot it before going afield. It's easy to pick out and avoid the yahoos in camp.

I've found my stress levels at public ranges goes up in direct proportion to the number of people. Especially when some of these folks bring their tribe of little kids, who are left unsupervised. I have looked over my shoulder while at the firing to see what the commotion is about, pulled my live round out of chamber, packed up up, and left with wheels a' spinning! Can't get away fast enough.

I have a brother in law that bought a 6.5 Creedmoor and a high end scope after reading a bunch of stuff on the internet. He then got a membership at the local club where you can shoot at 1000 yards. He was telling me all this wonderful stuff about the scope etc. I looked at him and said. "Why don't you learn to shoot at a 100 yards first."

Keep in mind this is a guy who grew up outside Chicago and married a girl from ND and now they live in ND. He wanted to be a hunter and got a doe tag so I took him out one morning and told him to walk down the fence line 300 yards to a rock pile and sit down and watch the slough 100 yards away. I explained the wind etc etc. I'd been bow hunting a lot and on average that 10 acre slough would have a dozen deer in it every morning and evening. It was as close to a sure thing as you could get.

He dropped me at another spot so I could go after a buck. Three hours later we met up. I asked him how it went?

"Well I didn't even end up going down there I just drove around"

I thought what in the world. Then I realized he was too scared to walk down the fence line in the dark.

The part that irritates me about him is that he's too stupid and insecure to admit he doesn't know anything. So he just buys expensive stuff in every aspect of his life so he can look cool. He had to buy a Daniel Defense AR with every gadget and gizmo hanging off it and he never shoots it.

He lives in the land of make believe.