Bolt handle touching Stock

Fumedo

Hello

I noticed that on my SSG3000 (McMillan stock) the bolt handle doesn't touch the action when I close it. Instead it touches the cut out of the stock. I can see that the gel coat of the stock is worn off at some spots. I guess I should address the problem as I heard it can negatively affect accuracy? However, the rifle shoots great already and I don't know if I could notice an improve in accuracy.

The rifle has seen between 1000 and 2000 rounds. If I now fix the problem,the bolt would suddenly close slightly more. In theory the lugs of the bolt would then come into contact with "untouched" parts of the locking lugs in the barrel, which are not worn off. Could this be an issue or is the wear just of theoretical nature?

What would be the best way to remove material from the fiberglass stock? Can I just use a file? And how should I seal the surface of the spot where I have exposed the fiberglass core? Could humidity harm the fiberglass If I leave the filed spots uncoated?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Greetings Paul

Hello

I noticed that on my SSG3000 (McMillan stock) the bolt handle doesn't touch the action when I close it. Instead it touches the cut out of the stock. I can see that the gel coat of the stock is worn off at some spots. I guess I should address the problem as I heard it can negatively affect accuracy? However, the rifle shoots great already and I don't know if I could notice an improve in accuracy.

The rifle has seen between 1000 and 2000 rounds. If I now fix the problem,the bolt would suddenly close slightly more. In theory the lugs of the bolt would then come into contact with "untouched" parts of the locking lugs in the barrel, which are not worn off. Could this be an issue or is the wear just of theoretical nature?

What would be the best way to remove material from the fiberglass stock? Can I just use a file? And how should I seal the surface of the spot where I have exposed the fiberglass core? Could humidity harm the fiberglass If I leave the filed spots uncoated?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Greetings Paul

It should be corrected. and should not effect accuracy.

The action needs to be in "Full" battery for safety. if it is not bedded, it may have compressed the stock since it was first installed causing the interference, or slightly rotated in the stock(Very common if the recoil lug is not bedded).

You can clear it with a file and seal it with epoxy.(It would be best to seal it by spreading a thin coat
over the raw area).

It should be an easy fix.

J E CUSTOM

It should be corrected. and should not effect accuracy.

The action needs to be in "Full" battery for safety. if it is not bedded, it may have compressed the stock since it was first installed causing the interference, or slightly rotated in the stock(Very common if the recoil lug is not bedded).

You can clear it with a file and seal it with epoxy.(It would be best to seal it by spreading a thin coat
over the raw area).

It should be an easy fix.

J E CUSTOM

I fully agree with J E on the above.

I might suggest that you go at it very easy with a file if you choose that method, or at least make sure you use a very fine tooth file. As an alternate for consideration I would use the correct size dowel over various grits of sand paper and go at it pretty gingerly.

There is no reason that it shouldn't be an easy fix and as mentioned the action should be in "full battery" for safety reasons.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

So you don't think that the "running in" of the recoil lugs in the barrel could be a problem?

I hope I can get the gel coat repair kit here in Germany. I already tried to contact McMillan, but I didn't get an answer so far. Maybe I just have to give them a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.