Blast from the past

Not sure what thread to put this in but it involves deer hunting. Who remembers when there was no internet, no YouTube, if you wanted to see a hunting video or movie you had to wait for a professional hunter to come to a local high school auditorium. People like Dick Idol. Sometimes you were lucky to get in to see it. The good ole days are long gone.
We had to keep the guns off the school property. That meant we parked accross the street. During hunting season a small army could be provisioned from the trucks and jeeps. I had a 48 jeep so my guns and ammo would go in to buds pick cab during class. Then we would all head out after classes to hunt till sundown. Most of the guys in school carried a knife of some sort on their belt or in their pocket. School didn't care. I can't understand what is happening today to responsible ownership. As sad day indeed.

Not sure what thread to put this in but it involves deer hunting. Who remembers when there was no internet, no YouTube, if you wanted to see a hunting video or movie you had to wait for a professional hunter to come to a local high school auditorium. People like Dick Idol. Sometimes you were lucky to get in to see it. The good ole days are long gone.
we would bring our rifles to school during deer season and put them in the coat room then after school there was a big swamp behind the school and we would still hunt our way home some days a teacher or two would stand on watch as we hunted through

We had a rifle range in our high school. It was used for rifle club meetings after school and by the neighboring Penn State extension campus for their rifle team to practice. I brought my .22 on my school bus and had the bullets in my pocket (even had a pocket knife in my pocket as well... imagine that!) the days we had the rifle club meetings. It was not unusual to see several boys carrying their rifles down the hall in the morning to check their rifles in at the range before school started. No one blinked an eye, and there was never a problem. Never locked the house door or the cars in the driveway. Left the car keys either on the dash or above the visor. I really miss some parts of those days .......

We had a rifle range in our high school. It was used for rifle club meetings after school and by the neighboring Penn State extension campus for their rifle team to practice. I brought my .22 on my school bus and had the bullets in my pocket (even had a pocket knife in my pocket as well... imagine that!) the days we had the rifle club meetings. It was not unusual to see several boys carrying their rifles down the hall in the morning to check their rifles in at the range before school started. No one blinked an eye, and there was never a problem. Never locked the house door or the cars in the driveway. Left the car keys either on the dash or above the visor. I really miss some parts of those days .......

Yea. I remember when we could park in the local towns on Saturday and leave the keys in the ignition, and no one ever stole a car or truck. A few older vehicles simply had no ignition keys, for they were converted to either switch starts like our old tractor or floor push switches.

I remember riding my bike as a kid , not wearing bike helmets, never had car seats and nobody ever died from running with scissors. This country is going down the crapper and fast. Guys wanting to be girls and girls wanting to be guys, we must be the laughing stock of the world. Thanks Joe ………

That does bring back some great memories. I remember skipping school as a teenager, to go hunting and riding our dirt bikes
I remember skipping school one day to go fishing. They were hitting like they didn't eat for a month and decided I should keep a couple. 🙄 I filleted about 8 bass and my mom caught me putting them in the freezer and asked if I skipped to go fishing? She told me to not do it again but keep a few fillets out for dinner.
Back in the day our deer gun opened on the Monday following thanksgiving and it was considered a holiday and we didn't have school. During the week if we went hunting my written excuse would say
"Birddog missed school because he was hunting" (no that's not my real name)

I remember skipping school one day to go fishing. They were hitting like they didn't eat for a month and decided I should keep a couple. 🙄 I filleted about 8 bass and my mom caught me putting them in the freezer and asked if I skipped to go fishing? She told me to not do it again but keep a few fillets out for dinner.
Back in the day our deer gun opened on the Monday following thanksgiving and it was considered a holiday and we didn't have school. During the week if we went hunting my written excuse would say
"Birddog missed school because he was hunting" (no that's not my real name)
I seemed to miss the bus a lot during hunting season. lol

Grew up in a small rural unincorporated town in Texas. Dad bought me a craftsman knife at a early age and I got a free whet stone from Sears and Roebuck. An older gentleman in the community showed be how to sharpen a knife. Dad was the Highschool principal and basketball coach. We would travel to all the ball games on the bus with the players ( boys and girls) One of the old boys needed to cut tape from his ankle after the game and asked if anyone had a knife. I gave him my knife and he cut his ankle. He couldn't understand that a 8 or 9 year old kid would have a knife that sharp. I don't remember ever carrying a dull knife. And carried one all the way through school and still do.
Good days are gone for sure. Hard to believe how this country has turned into a group of pu$$y's. Pardon my French.

Safari in Africa, was that the name of the movie ? because we watched it also but I couldn't remember the name of the movie. I asked the theater owner that still had a binder of the movies shown years later but I couldn't remember name or year it was shown. The theater was The New Isis at the stockyards in Fort Worth. I think it was a 80 pound recurve that Fred used. My brother got to meet Fred and has a picture together. When you get older it's good to have great memories.
Not sure if that was the title. I have a hard time remembering my name sometimes.

Sort of circling back to my comments on this thread... just listened to a mental health pro.... its not the "smart phone" per se.... but ISOLATION that has contributed to all this deviant anti-social behavior...... evidence....? for a contrary indicator.....

Check out the sense of belonging and " community" in all the replies here sharing old hunting memories.

Oh and my personal way non pro psychologist twist on it..... kids don't call each other out for being CANDYASSES anymore - in fact - au contraire!

I do. And the days before ATV's! I also remember the trucks in the high school parking lot with rifle racks in the back with 870's hanging in them, cause guys were going hunting after school! Nobody batted an eye! Now, they call in the National Guard if a kid brings an aspirin to school and most of them don't know which bathroom to use!
But back then guns did not kill people. Guns have evolved to evil contraptions... or have we just gotten lots more idiots?

more anti-social... which doesn't mean one is an idiot....means that it could turn into a cancer, like physical medicine. We have to pay more mind to that.

PS back on topic, do Pennsylvania schools still give students opening day off?

Last edited:
more anti-social... which doesn't mean one is an idiot....means that it could turn into a cancer, like physical medicine. We have to pay more mind to that.

PS back on topic, do Pennsylvania schools still give students opening day off?
yes they have off.