Blackbuck antelope doe w/ 6x45 Dtech

What are you using to get 2800 with the 80gr Speer? I am having a 8 twist Remage barrel done up right now to be finished at 22" so the girls have a capable starter rifle if they choose to hunt deer.

I picked up 1k of the Nosler Shots 55gr for cheap to use as practice for them this summer.

What are you using to get 2800 with the 80gr Speer? I am having a 8 twist Remage barrel done up right now to be finished at 22" so the girls have a capable starter rifle if they choose to hunt deer.

I picked up 1k of the Nosler Shots 55gr for cheap to use as practice for them this summer.
I am using 28gr of CFE223. Be careful, my last 6x45 barrel 27.5gr CFE223 was max and I would have never tried higher. With my new Shilen barrel for Dtech 28gr doesnt even show pressure so I settled there.

I've had great success with the Speer 70gr Speer SSP (looks very rounded at the tip) out of my standard .223's. It kills the heck out of pigs and coyotes. Never tried it on any game I planned to eat though. It has very poor BC, speed and consequently trajectory, however.

as long as I am shooting under 400yards I don't worry too much about high\low Ballistic Coefficient is. Which I dont ever plan to shoot my 6X45 on deer much past 200yds so in this case BC is moot.

bbraden,
I bet the 70gr speer in your 223 would do fine on deer size game that you plan to eat. The impact velocity will be low enough that it wont completly fragment ruining lots of meat or filling your meat with lead particles. It would be much better choice in a 22 for deer than 55grain options for sure. 70gr gets you in the ball park of downrange energy minimums required to constantly kill deer size game which is commonly agreed around 1,000ft\lbs. If you do decide to try your 70gr speer on deer, let me know how it goes.

In the AR15 platform the 6X45 is limited to length to fit in the mag so I like the idea of the rounded tip so its not taking up needed case capacity with long bullets.
Happy Shooting
James

I'd like to try it on deer! Most of my deer hunting is on Mule Deer and I think that it might still be undergunned on them. I think it would probably do well on the average whitetail though. This year I hunted with my 6.5 Creedmoor & 147 ELDM's. My experience with the 147 vs 70gr speer is that the Speer SSP kills coyotes quicker than the 147 ELDM did which seems a little odd to me since their MV is about the same... Only shot one pig with the 147 ELDM and that was a quick kill (frontal shot, it should have killed it quick) so I can't really compare the two on hogs yet.

Last edited:
i feel certain the 147m is a thicker jacket than the 70gr speer. Comparing the 2 the 70gr is going to expand much faster especially on a light skinned animal such as a coyote.

In your case I would stick with the 147gr on mule deer! I am only using my 6X45 80gr speer on whitetail cull hunts where I am mainly shooting small frame WT doe (50-65lb dress weight) It works well on them but I would using more gun on anything bigger
James

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.