Blackbuck antelope doe w/ 6x45 Dtech

Longshotjames

I used my suppressed Dtech 6x45 to take this free range antelope doe.
She was 110yds 80gr Speer SP entered just behind front shoulder(see blood spec in pic). Broke front shoulder, Heart and lungs were decimated! Bullet exited just in front of offside shoulder. She jumped sky high, bounced 3x like blackbuck do and then lights out. Now it's blackbuck enchiladas for the family

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 433
Nice Mike does some great rifles super accurate. I have a bolt 6x45 that just slams deer. Kinda shocking how well it does. I even had everyone in camp in Kansas laugh and roll eyes when I brought that out. Then I shot a deer and it was a bang flop at 82 yards right behind the shoulder. 95gr sst.

Nice Mike does some great rifles super accurate. I have a bolt 6x45 that just slams deer. Kinda shocking how well it does. I even had everyone in camp in Kansas laugh and roll eyes when I brought that out. Then I shot a deer and it was a bang flop at 82 yards right behind the shoulder. 95gr sst.

Snox,
What rifle action is your bolt gun? Its a nice caliber in an AR platform making an AR a viable medium game rifle but I feel it would be better suited in a bolt action in the heavier 6mm bullets so you arnt dealing with the 556 mag length
James

Ar15 Dtech 6x45 update
This year on some management MLD hunts i took 4 whitetail and a coyote. All with 80gr Speer SP

Furthest shot was 167yards on a spike. Bullet entered center front shoulder breaking both shoulders and exiting. The spike reared up on his hind legs and tumbled over backwards, no kick, no fuss, just stone dead!

Other 3 were doe around 100yds, most ran 10-20yds with good blood trails but fell in sight. All three exited as well.

The coyote jumped up running in some tall grass about 30yds and I hit low in the chest breaking both legs and dumping the heart and lungs on the ground. Done!

Overall I am very happy with the pairing of my Dtech 6x45 and the 80gr Speer SP bullet for small medium game in both penetration and expansion!

Happy Hunting
James

Snox,
What rifle action is your bolt gun? Its a nice caliber in an AR platform making an AR a viable medium game rifle but I feel it would be better suited in a bolt action in the heavier 6mm bullets so you arnt dealing with the 556 mag length
James
Mine is built off a howa action. Had ER Shaw do the barrel swap.

What velocity are you running that 80 gr Speer? The reason that I ask is I have a T/C Contender pistol barrel 14" in 6mm-225 Winchester. It is a wildcat that necks up the rimmed 225 Win. case to 6mm. This barrel has a 14" twist so it limits bullets to about 80 gr as the heaviest. I have taken a few deer with it using the Sierra 80 gr SSP bullet that is now discontinued pushed to 2800 fps. This bullet was too soft for my liking. It would not exit on a lung shot between 50 & 120 yards where I was using it. Deer would run off a ways and leave no blood trail. Until I got a 30-30AI barrel I was stuck using the 6mm-225 and would only take neck shots which was difficult at times. I picked up some 85 gr Nosler partitions to try but have not gotten around to working with them. The 80 gr Speer sounds like it may be what I am looking for if it will work running under 2800 fps.

Fine eating right there...I've shot a bunch of them.

Biggest problem with them....they are too small...you can almost eat the whole animal in one pot of stew!

Congrats on a successful hunt!

Awesome! Congrats...little 22' and 6mm can do good work--if it's not too far on the animal too big. My FIL loves to use a little 243 WSSM, he has wacked a lot of game with it.

RT2506, my muzzle velocity is 2805fps out of the 20' shilen barrel.

I shot another wt doe at 200yds recently, bullet entered by back ribs angling forward through the heart then breaking the large shoulder bone. Bullet was lodged in the skin at the shoulder. I feel 2800fps is a good speed to run this 80gr Speer sp.
0DB1DFB6-5B58-4B39-A068-98574AF2B881.jpeg
698C72C3-350E-4CFD-94CE-523AAD385AD9.jpeg

Thanks for the information. It looks like I will have to get me some of those 80 gr Speer bullets and give them a try. This Contender barrel is really accurate. I have no idea who made it because it has no markings on it as to maker. I got it in an estate sale as a package deal with two more barrels and loading dies etc. I gave up deer hunting with it because of the too soft Sierra SSP bullet and never explored other bullets because I got a 14" Shilen SS 30-30AI barrel made at MGM. This barrel is supper accurate. I drive a 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2670 fps and it just SMOKES deer.

Thanks for the information. It looks like I will have to get me some of those 80 gr Speer bullets and give them a try. This Contender barrel is really accurate. I have no idea who made it because it has no markings on it as to maker. I got it in an estate sale as a package deal with two more barrels and loading dies etc. I gave up deer hunting with it because of the too soft Sierra SSP bullet and never explored other bullets because I got a 14" Shilen SS 30-30AI barrel made at MGM. This barrel is supper accurate. I drive a 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2670 fps and it just SMOKES deer.
sounds like your 30-30ai is a great load for wt!

The whitetail at 200yds that I posted the bullet from above is the first deer I have shot that I didnt get a pass through on. I have now shot just under 10deer with this load. I started with the 80gr speer because I ended up with about 500 of them. Since the 6x45 is not exactly a powerhouse swimming in speed the 75-85gr range seems to be the best balance of speed and weight. I love using once fired 223 brass and sizing them to 6mm and we are ready to dance in an AR platform!
James

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.