Black specks on new brass.

gohring3006

It'll scrub off with steel wool. It was in the tumbler for 24 hours before taking this pic. I can't feel it with my fingernail. What do you guys think, anyone seen this before? I emailed Remington waiting on a response.
I'm thinking it's fine to load, just thought I'd run it by the community.
881E634E-B118-476F-A09C-273E1B23F518.jpeg

It'll scrub off with steel wool. It was in the tumbler for 24 hours before taking this pic. I can't feel it with my fingernail. What do you guys think, anyone seen this before? I emailed Remington waiting on a response.
I'm thinking it's fine to load, just thought I'd run it by the community. View attachment 357659
If you lived a little farther West I would say 'Rocky Mt Spotted Fever"
Its just oxidation on the brass. Was the Brass new or already fired? could have been in contact with something to cause the oxidation.

C.S.T your reply didn't post. Interested in your thoughts.
Disregard you must have fixed it.

Last edited:
Black or brown stains are caused by enough corrosion the zinc has been leached out of the cartridge brass, and I once read that Starline said that sometimes after using the brass for shooting it will cause the spots to release and clean off.
Thanks, I have 100 new pieces and I hate for them to be scrap. Definitely makes me feel better.

If you lived a little farther West I would say 'Rocky Mt Spotted Fever"
Its just oxidation on the brass. Was the Brass new or already fired? could have been in contact with something to cause the oxidation.
Hahaha it definitely looks like it need some penicillin. Lol It was new unfired and in a cardboard box, probably 5-6 years old though. It was in a estate sale, looks like he bought it from midway, it has the blue and orange disclaimer cards in the box and was sealed with packing tape.

It was new unfired and in a cardboard box, probably 5-6 years old though. It was in a estate sale, looks like he bought it from midway, it has the blue and orange disclaimer cards in the box and was sealed with packing tape.
I have several boxes of new Brass that is OLD and saving just for the "Old Time Sake" that has spots just like that. If you reload and after firing, you see that where the black spots where and there are now holes from the powder burning through-you may not want to do another reload.😅
They will be just fine.
Reload and shoot straight!

I have several boxes of new Brass that is OLD and saving just for the "Old Time Sake" that has spots just like that. If you reload and after firing, you see that where the black spots where and there are now holes from the powder burning through-you may not want to do another reload.😅
They will be just fine.
Reload and shoot straight!
Hahaha So you're saying load a few up and shoot from the hip with my eyes closed first? 😂😂 I report back with my results, maybe.. lol
If I still have my fingers and eyes. Lol
I'm pretty confident they're fine, but never hurts to ask if someone has a bad experience to share.

Hahaha So you're saying load a few up and shoot from the hip with my eyes closed first? 😂😂 I report back with my results, maybe.. lol
If I still have my fingers and eyes. Lol
I'm pretty confident they're fine, but never hurts to ask if someone has a bad experience to share.
No I am saying tie your rifle to a tree with a long string and hide behind a rock!
Good LucK🤣
Seriously no problem. But let us know

Not overly uncommon to see on brass or nickle cases. Sometimes the residue from varied lubricants during the manufacturing process will do this, and like you discovered, sometimes more often seen on brass that was stored for sometime before cleaning and usage.

It is safe, and I have fired quite a lot of it.

Last edited:
I had the same problem when I shut the tumbler off and didn't remove the brass for several days. I believe it was oxidation setting in. Once I fired them and re-tumbled them it mostly went away.

I had the same problem when I shut the tumbler off and didn't remove the brass for several days. I believe it was oxidation setting in. Once I fired them and re-tumbled them it mostly went away.
Full Time - that Gator has a mouth like Samson. Do you do shows/events with him in WI where you stick your head in his? Probably get a lot of attendance since the cold weather in WI.