Black specks on new brass.

It'll scrub off with steel wool. It was in the tumbler for 24 hours before taking this pic. I can't feel it with my fingernail. What do you guys think, anyone seen this before? I emailed Remington waiting on a response.
I'm thinking it's fine to load, just thought I'd run it by the community. View attachment 357659

Time to change your media. Too much accumulated crap is buried in the old media.

I agree. Have had those same spots from old media. Change it out and viola, spots gone.
Those spots were there out of the box. I put it them in the tumbler because of the spots.
I repeat, the black spots were on the brass BEFORE going in the tumbler.

It looks like a contamination of some type of Sulphur component. Even some lubes used in pipe threading has a Sulfur component in it.
If the water they used to make the cleaning solution with was contaminated with some sulfur component may have been the cause.

In making antique brass items, A compound called liver of sulfur, A powder, Is mixed with water and brushed on the brass. Makes brass turn Raven black. Then you buff out the highlights you want.

If the box wasn't sealed I would say someone cleaned a muzzleloader shooting black powder, Cleaning water got on the brass.

I have several boxes of new Brass that is OLD and saving just for the "Old Time Sake" that has spots just like that. If you reload and after firing, you see that where the black spots where and there are now holes from the powder burning through-you may not want to do another reload.😅
They will be just fine.
Reload and shoot
Tumbler fatigue.....I'd grow spots if I was tumbled 24 hours!

Recent Posts