Black Rifle Question

Q

quicktimeracecars

I have a Rock River AR that I use as a prairie poodle population control item. It has a 20 in flat top receiver on it now. I know that normally uppers are not a controled item but I want to build a new upper with a 12 in barrel and red dot sight system for a home protection option. My only fear is this violates the statute of barrel length with the ATF as it was purchased as a rifle. So I am basically trying to get off cheap and not have to pay for a second lower that is "titled" as a handgun. I hope I am being paranoid and I can go the cheap route with no problems but I have this sneaking suspicion that I got to break out the checkbook and bite the bullet for a whole new unit. So I wanted to throw it at the alter of knowledge here and see what develops.

Thanks

I have a Rock River AR that I use as a prairie poodle population control item. It has a 20 in flat top receiver on it now. I know that normally uppers are not a controled item but I want to build a new upper with a 12 in barrel and red dot sight system for a home protection option. My only fear is this violates the statute of barrel length with the ATF as it was purchased as a rifle. So I am basically trying to get off cheap and not have to pay for a second lower that is "titled" as a handgun. I hope I am being paranoid and I can go the cheap route with no problems but I have this sneaking suspicion that I got to break out the checkbook and bite the bullet for a whole new unit. So I wanted to throw it at the alter of knowledge here and see what develops.

Thanks

Go pay your tax stamp like a good little minion. You got the money, I know you it.

Get one of these instead.

reduced.jpg

Last edited:
No tax stamp items for me.

A few reasons:

1. German Shepard that has need for medication. (He is convinced that all evil in the world is caused by cats, shiny objects and, the UPS driver.)

2. Tax stamp = Big money to pose on range and waste ammo

3. Someday my gunsmith will get his happy a** back to the world and
suck up all of my available funds for kinky bolt guns to kill paper with.

Basically I just need a new bang stick with red light for dog to obsess over.

You only have to pay the $200 class three tax stamp and whatever the class three dealer wants to charge , generaly $100-$200. you can get a decient short barreled upper either 10.5" or 11.5" for $500.
The class three tax stamp is $200 weather its for a machinegun , suppressor or short barreled rifle. I've got several suppressors and two short barreled rifles.

I love my 11.5" LWRC upper on my Doublestarr lower , itsw very fast moving through a building , minute of man out to 400yds with the Eotech site , and lastly its crazy loud especialy in a building.
Unless you have a good bit of training with a rifle or subgun in a building you will be much better served with a pistol , IMHO , but wanting somthing is the very best reson for getting somthing.

I recomend that you find a class three dealer in you home town area and just get it through them , I've dealt with several brands from cheap units from Model-1 sales that ran perfectly fine to $1200 pieces from Noveski and they all have one thing in common , they run better with a bigger gas tube , either the "pig tail" desgine or the newer "fat boy" , what your doing is making a bigger expansion chamber and it settles the weapon donw alot.

As mentioned, you'll either need a tax stamp to SBR the rifle (if your state allows it) since it's under 16" oal, or you'll need to attach it to a pistol lower (if your state allows it).

If you put a short barreled rifle upper on a pistol lower its only legal if their is NOT a but stock on it , even if the lower is registered as a pistol when you add the butt stock that makes it a short barreled rifle in the eyes of the ATF. From what I understand the only way you can get away with not paying the $200 tax for the SBR stamp is if the upper is put on a class three lower (ie. legit full auto lower)

Well thanks for all of the info. I guess on the next home rotation I will go to see the class 3 dealer and start the process. But since that is not for a month and I have nothing but free time I will throw some more questions out here. How long of a process is it typically. I know there is a background check involved. I think the application has to be signed by the Sherriff. (Guess I better make that campaign re-election contribution now.) Since it is just and upper do I have to register a specific lower with it or can it be swapped from lower to lower? Or since it is a short barrel does it have its own serial number on the upper? Because I would like to have the unit built myself.

Here that Nesika Chad call Mark C. and get the machines warmed up. I want the new shop introductory offer of buy two pimped out bolt guns and the gunsmith begrudgingly builds some black rifle parts.

Thanks again for all of the info.

you can register the class three weapon to your self or you can register it to a trust or LLC ,the later two do not require th sign off from the CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) , all my suppressors are form one meening I built themmy self and registered to a trust with several people on it that way the can does not have to stay with me , my dad used one to shoot coyotes with.

I highly recomend that you get with a class three dealer and disscuss all your options as they vary from state to state and he will be well versed in all the laws

You will NOT be able to move it from lower to lower. It will be registered to one lower and that is all (unless you want to pay the tax for every lower you might use it on). Also you must have at least one upper for each lower that you own. It is illegal to have more lowers than uppers and an SBR upper.
If you want to build it yourself there is no problem doing that AFTER you get the tax stamp.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.