modifying rifle stock question

hammer111

I just received a boyds tacticool stock for my b-mag. its a nice stock except its to blocky where my hand grips the stock to put my finger on the trigger. its not comfortable at all. can a gunsmith fix this for me ?if not who ? thanks.

I just received a boyds tacticool stock for my b-mag. its a nice stock except its to blocky where my hand grips the stock to put my finger on the trigger. its not comfortable at all. can a gunsmith fix this for me ?if not who ? thanks.

You can DIY yourself pretty easy.
Boyds Tacticool stocks are wooden stock.
Just get a sandpaper and sand away the extra material.
Used 80 grit then for finishing 120 grit and 220 grit.

Used BEDLINER Black Can Spray and respray the stock again 2 -3 layers.
Let is dry over night and your stock will look like original..

Working time 30 min - 45 min.

thanks 300rum, but I thing I net to take maybe a 1/8 inch or more. I don't know If I can sand that much. I was thinking maybe some place that does mill work ? its a real nice stock. the right side is to bulky and to comfortable. my finger is rubbing the bolt and my mag keeps popping out.

Im going to get it camo dipped after, so I don't care about finish. thanks.

you think a mill can help me ?

thanks 300rum, but I thing I net to take maybe a 1/8 inch or more. I don't know If I can sand that much. I was thinking maybe some place that does mill work ? its a real nice stock. the right side is to bulky and to comfortable. my finger is rubbing the bolt and my mag keeps popping out.

Im going to get it camo dipped after, so I don't care about finish. thanks.

you think a mill can help me ?

Used a wooden file to remove as closed possible and then sand it to get the final finished.
Working time less then 30min

Then sand it from 80 grit - 120 grit - 220 grit.
Keep in mind is you don't have a nice finish will show up when you dip it...

Even when you used BEDLINER Spray - you have to used 120 grit at least.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding a mill, but this is something that you can do yourself with a variety of wood tools. Since you are planning to camo dip the stock when you are done, you don't have to match the original finsihs, which is a huge plus.

Begin with a file, occilating table sander, or palm sander. Other options are an angle grinder, table mount belt sander or disc sander.
Start off easy taking about 1/32"-1/16" off at a time. Be careful with the power tools. It is easy to get carried away with them.
When you think you are close, switch to coarse sand paper (60-80 grit) to make it smooth. If it feels right, then start working up with your sandpaper grit. Since you are dipping it, you can probably stop at 220 grit. If you get carried away and make a mistake, you can add some epoxy filler and fill it in and sand away again.

I have done similar work like yours to 4 shotgun stocks so far, one from scratch which required a band saw. You can do it unless you are all thumbs when it comes to tools.
Plus, by doing it yourself, you can constantly feel the stock until you like what you have. If you take it somewhere, it may take multiple trips to get what you like, or they will take off the 1/8" you requested and then your done.

what I meant by mill was a wood lathe. thanks guys I understand what you have explained and I'll give it a shot myself.

good ideas and it will save me some bucks. just gotta get a wood file and sand paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.