Modifying Boyd's Thumbhole Stock

Tiny Tim

Recently acquired a Savage 110 in 300 WM with a laminated Boyds thumbhole stock. I find the grip abit long and uncomfortable as the stock seems abit sharp in the web of my hand. I was wondering how much material I could remove from the rear area of the top of the "pistol grip"? All I'd really like to do is remove about .250" from this area to round and smooth out this transitional area. This would also give me that little extra reach to the trigger. There is not a ton of material in this area and if it were a smaller caliber, I wouldn't question it, but it is a relatively lightweight rifle and I plan to shoot 200 grain (+) bullets.

I've thought about doing the same thing to Savage 110 300 win mag with Boyd's thumbhole. That area of the stock shouldn't see too much stress unless you're shooting it one handed.

What did you use to refinish it where you sanded the laminate?
Not exactly sure at the moment, I worked in a custom wood shop for several years. I stripped the whole stock then sanded the desired area to my preference. I then used an airless gun to apply an industrial lacquer in two coats sanding lightly between coats.

I would use a clear finish applied with a rag or foam brush and blended into the existing finish if you don't want to strip the entire stock.

I recently had a Boyd's stock crack lengthwise behind the rear tang. When I called them, they would not warranty the stock because it had been modified (added bedding and used a Dremel flap wheel to contour the pistol grip area). Will not ever buy another stock from them. Side note, the recoil lug area is fine and the crack is on top of the thumbhole stock, not on any of the modified areas

I bought this gun used. I always liked the looks of the thumbhole stocks, but now that I have one, it's a love/hate relationship. When I pulled the barreled action I found a crack in the lamination between the magazine cutout and the rear action screw hole. I milled both mounting holes out and pillar bedded and skim bedded the action. I sanded out the rear of the grip but it wasn't just the sharp spot that affected my grip. I found that by closing my eyes and feeling the grip, I had to remove less material than i thought, but also in areas i hadn't considered.
Only thing was when I sprayed a crystal clear coat on the grip, it came out a little darker than the original finish. Perhaps I didn't sand to a fine enough finish. Looks kind of like a coffee stain. Lol I'll try and post a pic.

Attachments

• 20191013_155259.jpg
    20191013_155259.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 220
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.