BL-C (2) in .308 Win - What the heck???

When I read manufacturers loads, I do so with a grain of salt. I never completly trust their figures. There are too many variables. (Primers, cases, equipment etc..) I use them as a starting point ONLY. Your milage will vary.
I agree with you, but how can they claim that two different length bullets of same weight be loaded to same COAL and give same Pressure and MV. The longer bullet at the same COAL will seat deeper in the case, create higher pressure, at best more velocity, at worst lock up your bolt. Trust me, it's not just an engineering calculation, it happened. And I was not at max.

I agree with you, but how can they claim that two different length bullets of same weight be loaded to same COAL and give same Pressure and MV. The longer bullet at the same COAL will seat deeper in the case, create higher pressure, at best more velocity, at worst lock up your bolt. Trust me, it's not just an engineering calculation, it happened. And I was not at max.
If possible, take both bullets and set side by side. Carefully compare them. Most of the different length you speak of comes from the bullet tip. The tsx is a hp. The ttsx has a polymer tip. The ttsx tip length protrudes into the chamber as does the tsx. I know this is confusing, it boggles my mind routinely. If you compare these 2 bullets that are the same length from base to ogive, the ogive to bullet tip length is different. This different length is in the chamber, not the case. Hense different pressures. Now where you seat the bullet does make a difference in case pressure along with powder load. The seating (coal) specs stated attempt to provide the best accuracy for both bullet types. I quit adjusting COAL long ago and now only load to cbto. Unless magazine length is your limiting factor. But I stay befuddled about the large disparity in powder load suggested. That's why I always use book loads as a STARTING point ONLY when working up a load. Start low and go up until you max out pressure or get good accuracy, whichever comes first. Stay safe and have fun.

If possible, take both bullets and set side by side. Carefully compare them. Most of the different length you speak of comes from the bullet tip. The tsx is a hp. The ttsx has a polymer tip. The ttsx tip length protrudes into the chamber as does the tsx. I know this is confusing, it boggles my mind routinely. If you compare these 2 bullets that are the same length from base to ogive, the ogive to bullet tip length is different. This different length is in the chamber, not the case. Hense different pressures. Now where you seat the bullet does make a difference in case pressure along with powder load. The seating (coal) specs stated attempt to provide the best accuracy for both bullet types. I quit adjusting COAL long ago and now only load to cbto. Unless magazine length is your limiting factor. But I stay befuddled about the large disparity in powder load suggested. That's why I always use book loads as a STARTING point ONLY when working up a load. Start low and go up until you max out pressure or get good accuracy, whichever comes first. Stay safe and have fun.
Look at their data, their bullets, TSX and TTSX. Just look at the table posted earlier. TTSX is what, 0.020 or 0.025 longer. I am traveling now and can't look it up. But they claim both bullets loaded to same COAL. They are DANGEROUSLY WRONG!

Look at their data, their bullets, TSX and TTSX. Just look at the table posted earlier. TTSX is what, 0.020 or 0.025 longer. I am traveling now and can't look it up. But they claim both bullets loaded to same COAL. They are DANGEROUSLY WRONG!
Your concerns are well known to many folks. Too many questions to take their word for it. Which I wouldn't do anyway. I always have a safety margine when i workup loads. But, the case in point: when you find this type of issue, call the manufacturer and ask about it. Get them to explain it. It's their mess, let them sort it out. If they won't, well all I can say is start load work up low and work your up to either seeing pressure signs or getting nice accurate hits, whichever comes first. You have to keep yourself safe.

Your concerns are well known to many folks. Too many questions to take their word for it. Which I wouldn't do anyway. I always have a safety margine when i workup loads. But, the case in point: when you find this type of issue, call the manufacturer and ask about it. Get them to explain it. It's their mess, let them sort it out. If they won't, well all I can say is start load work up low and work your up to either seeing pressure signs or getting nice accurate hits, whichever comes first. You have to keep yourself safe.
I post about it every time for the benefit of those new in reloading.
Also, the point I try to make, they publish dangerously wrong data, they refuse to admit it and correct it. Reminds me of the Japanese with Mitsubishi problems in the 80's. Can't loose face. Until the lawsuits pile up!

when i look at the data posted in the OP, it shows 2 COAL lengths, 2.810 for the TSX and 2.735 for the TTSX. What did I miss?

I am trying to work up a load for my 308 using Barnes 130 TSX. The manual from Barnes says a max charge of 56 grains. No way that will fit! I went to Hodgdon's website and they say 51 grains. That goes to the rim of the case and I have to tap the case to get it to settle enough to fit a bullet in. Something doesn't seem right here. Anyone else have this issue?

View attachment 574299
Look on the Hodgdon load data for 130gr and select IMR8208XBR. It's temperature insensitive.

when i look at the data posted in the OP, it shows 2 COAL lengths, 2.810 for the TSX and 2.735 for the TTSX. What did I miss?
The TTSX is a longer bullet. Yet they seat it deeper, further in the case. Result is higher pressure. I know not only form calculations but form experience.

Last edited:
Usually the books show the data that is safe for all the bullets in the weight grouping. Ie the bullet that develops more pressure than the others due to shape or composition. The bullets that develop lower pressures get shortchanged.

No idea with this individual case. I don't load max charges most of the time anyhow. My ranges are short and not so critical to push it. Besides, I shoot milder loads better than ones that rattle my brain housing group.

Presume the book is in error.

I never use compressed loads--too much can go wrong and too many considerations needed. There are plenty of other loads and powders--I usually shoot for about a 92% loading density with a powder that gives the highest velocity for that bullet weight. I'm currently in my lazy reloading era, so with a new bullet/load/rifle I often go with the most accurate recommendation or the hunting load/factory velocity duplication load (depending on what the book gives) and tweak from there.