Birthday Rifle for Dad

ANDREW RICKETTS

Dad's always owned and collected factory rifles. Want to get him something special, budget is pretty wide open.

Looking for the BEST stuff that's readily available right now.

Looking for suggestions/opinions. Here's what I'm thinking now.

Stock - Not sure, I know he will not like something to tactical looking. HEAVILY need suggestions.

Action - Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti

Barrel - Proof Sendero Lite 22" 1:10 (looking at going towards a .308 for an all around cartridge, open to suggestions)

Bottom Metal - Terminus M5 DBM (probably a question for my gunsmith, but Ill ask anyways, can a BDL stock be changed to this?)

Trigger - TT Special Trigger

Muzzle Brake - yes or no?

Scope - Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 F1

Notes: I want to keep this rifle as light.

When is his BIRTHDAY?????
We have a lot going on now and won't be doing any customs for a while. If I was going to do it I would start with the Cartridge first.

Does he or you reload???

What is he going to hunt???
If deer, Speed Goats, Black Bear in that range of animals.

Short Action/Long Action? Maybe go with an Impact 737r or American Rifle Company COUP DE GRÂCE. I heard Really good thing about this action. We have several on order.

Barrel
Krieger or Bartlein.
Would go with a heavy diameter and then have some really COOL Flutes cut to save the weight.
Be aware of the twist and match to the bullet.

Trigger
Trigger Tech Diamond

Cartridge
I would go with a .260 Rem, 6.5 PRC, 6.5X284.
There are a lot of 6.5mm bullets out there and you can chamber the barrel for long bullets.

You said LIGHT!!!!
Go with a Mountain Rifle style. I would copy it after a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a Drop Mag. Definetly a Drop Mag in case he wants to change Cartridge with a different bullet.

Stock
Maybe go with a B&C, then a McMillan or Manners.

Scope
Night Force, TT or Vortex

Finishing Custom Touches for a Father to remember his sons/daughters
Get a special custom Cerakote job done on the Stock, and the barrel with color in the flutes.
Top the rifle off with some Custom Engraving to truley make the rifle One Of A KIND!

McMillan has some in stock stocks on their website. I don't recall seeing any for terminus but not sure. They may have some universal or flat tops, however.

ETA - here are some flat tops that you can have inletted for whatever you want. Game stalker and Remington hunter have the more traditional grip and should also allow for a carbon barrel with up to a #8 contour.

Last edited:
Terminus Apollo lite states it was built for a BDL style with a 3" internal magazine. I would run a Hawkins M5 BDL with a Wyatt's Extended internal Mag, but you will need to determine the cartridge first to decide which mag cutout is required. If it was me, I would go with a 6.5 PRC if you are dead set on a short action.