Bipod broke my stock!!! Ever seen this?

It's sad to see your beautiful rifle broken that way. If it were mine, I'd epoxy the pieces back together and try shooting it over a backpack or similar soft rest. I found greater accuracy, and much better long range zero stability when I went from bipods to shooting over a soft rest and gripping the forend as you would from a sitting or kneeling position. -Ed

Well I understand that I voided the warranty by drilling the stock and adding the pic rail. But I did not drill it where it broke. That was the factory stud location.

And obviously they aren't telling anyone that you can't mount a bipod on this gun.
You didnt drill it where it broke, but by mounting the second t-nut forward of the original sling stud, which is already pretty far out on the end of the forearm to begin with, and then mounting the bipod you increased the length of the lever arm for the force being transmitted through the bipod into the stock further stressing an already weak point in the stock. If you had just mounted a sling to a stud that far out on the end it would have probably broken.

Chalk it up to an expensive lesson, you will notice that most stocks that have two studs have them further back on the forend and further apart than what you have here. A stronger solution in your case would have been skipping the factory hole entirely and mounting 2 new t-nuts one ahead of and one behind the original. It may have still broken but at least you would be spreading the load out across the original location rather than all in front of it.

My bigger head scratch is, you've got the coin for a $3k rifle... why DIY something like this in the first place?

I'm having trouble believing this just happened. I was shooting off a bipod from the bench and this happened. I added the pic rail and additional t-nut to this stock but it broke through the factory installed one (I installed the one further forward). This is a super lightweight carbon fiber and Kevlar stock.

the rifle manufacturer stated that they do not recommend use of a bipod on this model so there is no warranty coverage.

anyway, it's either a freak deal or needs to be a word of caution to anyone using a super lightweight stock. I can't imagine a stock that you can't use a bipod with...View attachment 200558View attachment 200559View attachment 200560View attachment 200561View attachment 200562View attachment 200563
WOW! That's 1st for me also! What manufacturer is that?

I have not read all the posts here but in my opinion the bipod is fitted the wrong way around.

70s only a number. You sound ambitious and active in your work. You may feel like giving back is the right thing to do. I feel like it's a very honorable thing to do. Your definitely not "Done". Your just getting started.
Just remember:
No good deed goes unpunished.

I'm having trouble believing this just happened. I was shooting off a bipod from the bench and this happened. I added the pic rail and additional t-nut to this stock but it broke through the factory installed one (I installed the one further forward). This is a super lightweight carbon fiber and Kevlar stock.

the rifle manufacturer stated that they do not recommend use of a bipod on this model so there is no warranty coverage.

anyway, it's either a freak deal or needs to be a word of caution to anyone using a super lightweight stock. I can't imagine a stock that you can't use a bipod with...View attachment 200558View attachment 200559View attachment 200560View attachment 200561View attachment 200562View attachment 200563
Having worked in research and development of carbon fibres back in the mid sixties for 6 1/2 years this is my take
The stock has no substantial amount of carbon fibre/ kevlar on it
What is the white inner core seen in the pics?
Carbon fibre has a youngs modulus equivalent to steel
This stock is garbage, bad design and you should have been refunded
Never known a stock with a bipod to break like that
Just my 2 cents worth

Who's the manufacturer of this stock? Thats absolutely pathetic IMO on their quality of product. I would never buy from them again if they're not going to replace your broken stock. They should send you a new one immediately IMO no questions asked. I only run HS Precison and never had a problem with any of their stocks. A little pricey but good overall. They have a lifetime warranty on all their products too. I only buy from companies that stand behind their products. Vortex and Leupold are perfect examples of great customer service.

Last edited:
So it's also possible that mounting the pic rail to the stock caused a hairline fracture that the recoil caused to just completely shear the rest of the way. The pic rail is obviously way stronger than the stock in that section. If the stock wasn't as level as it should have been, the rail would have forced the stock flat and caused it to crack, or at least added a lot of stress. Or a bad t nut install.
Absolute rubbish it's a crappy made stock at a ridiculous price

If I have the right model this is a $3300 rifle.
Cooper may be "right" but boy they are stupid. To get all this bad publicity for a stock they probably pay 200 bucks for is dumber than a box of rocks.
If I were Cooper, I'd give him a new stock, put a sticker on all new ones saying NO BIPOD and issue a recall for all sold so I could advise owners of NO BIPOD.

All this said, I don't use attached bipods as they are brush catchers and slow to deploy. Shooting sticks as used in Africa are far better and serve as a walking staff as well. I use a pair of hiking staffs when hunting and one of them can be quickly deployed in a sitting or kneeling position to steady the rifle. If I can go lower I use my backpack. Bipods don't fit in a scabbard either.

I only use bipods for deliberate ambush shooting like a P-dog town where I can't set up a portable bench.

Thanks! No Cooper Rifles for me.
Don't like the design of that stock.
We can do better for $3,000 !
Edit:
more like $4,000 by the time it is in your hands.

Last edited:
I agree they should replace the stock. However after reading the post, he did drill into the stock, add a second t-nut, add the section of rail, and re-torque everything. I think if Cooper knows this thread is going on though a new stock will be in the mail next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.