Binos while calling?

dstark

Should you use binoculars while you are calling?

This is a question I have asked my self over and over and until now my answer has always been no. I usually call solo but sometimes with 1 other guy. I feel like if I glass while calling I'm likely to miss something at 100 yards while glassing at 400, not to mention the extra movement.

I recently watched several videos by the Oneill ops guys (who make some awesome videos by the way) and noticed how much they glass and how well it works for them. Needless to say I'm thinking of glassing while on stand in the future.

What's your experience? Guys that use glass-do you ever miss opportunities because you had your head buried in the binos or are you better off using them to spot more dogs at a distance?

Here's a pair from last weekend.

Attachments

• pday.jpg
    pday.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 128
Depends on terrain, I don't glass on the shotgun only stand if my max visibility is 100 yrds. The guys that hunt wide open prairie like the OP guys you mentioned can probably use bino's but I very seldom need them. I can't remember the last coyote I killed past 150 yards, my goal is to get them up close and personal.

In the wide open west where I live I won't do a stand without them. I've lost count how many times I spotted a coyote hidden 300 or more yards away, and was then able to call it in. I would imagine they would be very useful in Idaho as well.

+1 for BigSky

Put it this way, I can't ever remember missing out on a dog by using them. But I can remember relying on them more than 50 times. Not going to list a bunch of examples but put it this way. I went "calling" this weekend, and ended up taking 5 coyotes. 3 were spot and stalk; therefore I would have not connected without them.

I think it's worse trying to swing a rifle around because it's your only source of optics. Even greater chances of spooking an animal. Not implying you do this....

Try it. I think you will start to see a difference and not leave home without them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.