Rattle snakes while hunting coyotes

I ran across a pair of them last night. They were in the track of a two track road. I drove right up to them, got out and looked at them close up. They were intertwined together and doing a "mating dance". They didn't rattle or coil up or try to get out of the way............more important things on their minds I guess.

I've nearly stepped on a few in my life, the biggest one was probably 5 feet long as big a round as my wrist. He didn't rattle at all!!............He was about to shed, because his eyes were all glazed over.

They bother me the most when you can't see them through the grass and they don't rattle. I think if they got stepped on, they would surely bite. We get horses and cattle bitten by them every now and then. Usually on the nose, mouth area.

+1 with Shortgraass. Thats exactly how we roll in Eastern Oregon too. Just keep an eye out. If you kill one burry the head where noone and no critter will get to it for some time. I hate sankes! But Ill let a bull snake go. Buzz worms, forget it! If I see one it dies period. All of them will catch you off guard at one time or another. Just wach where you put your feet, dont corner or play with one, and dont have a heart attack when they suprise you. A fishing pole handle, a butt of a rifle stock or a stick work great for holding thier body snugg enough (close to thier head)to cut thier head off. Try to use a long bladed knife for safety sake. A big *** rock will kill em with enough trys, but I prefer the quicker meathod.

i also carry my sig with snakeshot,wish i could train a pig to hunt with melightbulb

Had another horse get bitten last week, on the jaw. Gave him a shot of antibiotics and he seems ok now. My mom also shot one in her front yard about two weeks ago.

Had another horse get bitten last week, on the jaw. Gave him a shot of antibiotics and he seems ok now. My mom also shot one in her front yard about two weeks ago.

Antibiotics alone would probably be sufficient for a horse. CroFab is the most commonly used anti-venon used in the U.S. to treat snake bites. Cro-Fab is derived from horses, they just have a heartier resistance to snake bites than most domestic animals and humans do.

Chupa

I have run across a lot rattlers in Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada.

Most of the time a rattler doesn't want to have much to due with a human as long as it has a chance to go its own way. Rattlers can be unpredictable when they shed their skin as they are blind at that time and tend to try strike at anything that gets near them. Rattlers in the areas I have been around shed their skin in either the end of July or in August.

The sidewinders in Nevada spooked me more than its bigger counter parts as they move so darn fast.

I have had 4 different dogs bitten by rattlers. All of them lived through it. But they were good and sick for about a week.

If I would see one when I was near my truck, I would chop their head off with a long handled shovel.

Keep your head, scariest thing about rattlesnakes for me is some **** fool bouncing
rounds off rocks in every direction.

Funny story, last summer I spotted a yote while driving across the ranch. He was way out in a wheat field about 1400 yards. I was by an old concrete pad from where a grain bin use to sit. Perfect place to go prone, right? I went down and and some tall weeds at the edge of the edge of the pad were blocking my shot. So I jumped up and jumped into the weeds and started smashing them down with my feet. My weed dance was quickly ended by the sound of a rattler in the weeds coiled up ready to strick. I backed off slowly and he went under a chunk of old concrete. I was lucky I didn't step right on him for sure. Anyway the yote was now gone. Next morning it was cool and I was driving by with a skidloader and thought about the snake. I figured he would be under the concrete still as it was so cool. I tipped the concrete over and there he was. He was no match for a 7' shidloader bucket. So all ended good. I would rather kill a rattler than a yote anyday.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.