Binoculars

lefty15

I have finally decided to buy a new pair of binoculars. I have decided on the Nikon Monarch. Would I be better to go with a 12 x 42, or would you think that a 10 x 42 would do? I hunt in all types of terrian from hills, open prairie to heavy bush.
Any advise would be great

I personally would go with the 10x42. Once you get over 10x sometimes it is hard to hold them steady. Plus you lose some of the field of view if you are going to use them in close brush country.

Thanks for the help, just one more question. On the Nikon website it says that the relative brightness of the 10 x 42 is 17.6, whereas the 12 x 42 has a relative brightness of 12.3. Wouldn't the more powerful binocular have more brightness?

You need to also look at the exit pupil since the binoculars are the same quality. The 12x42's will have an exit pupil of 3.5mm where the 10x42's will have an exit pupil of 4.2mm. So you can say that there is a larger beam of light with the 10x42's than the 12x42's.

Thanks for all the help guys. I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 10 x 42's. The binoculars are very clear, and I can't wait to use them on whitetail here in Saskatchewan next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.