Binocs. 10 power under 600... Thinking zen ray??

Thefieldster

So I am looking into buying a pair of binoculars for this hunting season. Elk and deer in the mountains of utah. I'm wanting a ten power because its right in the middle for brightness and power. I don't have the budget for anything more than 600 (married and in college). Kinda scared of Nikon I hear horror stories from people/family about their warranty. I am interested in hearing from people who have used zen ray.. Ed3 and the prime HD. Anyone used their warranty? What is the best that will last me 10 years before I can afford an Alpha brand? Thanks for all your responses

The ones i have experince with are steiner, nikon, minox and vortex. I had a pair of vortex razors (non hd) the were excellent glass and i loved them but they got stolen out of my truck and the price of the new hds put them out of my reach. I replaced them with a pair of minox and was very dissapointed. the glass was no better if not a bit worse then my nikon monarchs. I just picked up a pair of steiner predetors. They seem ok. A bit better glass then the minox or nikons and cammera land has a good deal on them right now. My monarchs have been my truck glass for about 10 years. After about 6 years they didnt focus right and i sent them to nikon and got a brand new pair in the mail in a week free. Last year one of the eye cups came off and i sent them in to get fixed and again got a brand new pair of there latest model that was even one step up from the old pair.Keep in mind before someone says a good pair wouldnt have needed service to begin with that thess binocs live in my pickup and get bounced around and are far from babbied. Ive had simular experiences with there service dept with scopes. Id have to rate there service as A+. For a under 300 dollar pair of binoculars youd have to look high and wide to beat a pair of monarchs. Glass is as good as some ive tried at twice the price and they sure stand behind them or at least did for me.

I have a set of Zen Ray ED3 8x43 Binoculars and have directly compared them with a set of swarovski el10x32. The image clarity would be very hard to tell the difference between the two. There is a bit of fuzzyness around the extreme edge with the ED3 while I did not notice any with the swarovski. The Focus knob on the swarovski is a bit more solid just feels more precise. The Zen rays are a bit bigger.

From what I can tell there is no doubt the swarovski is better. But It may be 2-5% better at 4x the cost.

zen ray is good option....also look at the meopta meopro...DO NOT buy Nikon..had a pair and sold em quick......i know some people who have the Redfield 10x42 and say for the price, it is amazing...and they look great...but i think your on the right track with the zen ray..have only heard good things about those

How about the Leupold Mckinley HD10x42? anybody know anything about these. How good is the limited lifetime warranty on the ZR ED3's? will they cover it if I was to dop them or screw them up accidentally?

Ive heard alot of good things about them. I dont know if your going to get mc kinnley[ Hds in that price range though. I think the no hd ones went for around 600. QUOTE=Thefieldster;816302]How about the Leupold Mckinley HD10x42? anybody know anything about these. How good is the limited lifetime warranty on the ZR ED3's? will they cover it if I was to dop them or screw them up accidentally?[/QUOTE]

If you can find a pair of Cabelas Euro's 10x42 in the bargain cave for that price, you would have a tough time beating that quality.

yeah id buy a pair of euros ifu canget em at bargain cave. i ended up with 10x42 meopta HD. amazing glass and build

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.