Billings, MT or Rapid City, SD

LongWalker

My boss just recently retired and with my move up has opened up a couple of options for a move if I choose. I'm in the Nashville area now and while my wife and I really like it, it's killing her allergies here even after almost two years of allergy shots. Albuquerque was on the list too but we've pretty much crossed it off.

The choices are either Billings, MT or Rapid City, SD. I have a 30-45 minute commute now so I'm willing to stay in that range as a max distance. Housing in Rapid City is more than I would have thought but other than that my research so far has both places pretty even.

Any info and advice is most appreciated and yes, being able to draw an Elk tag with the greatest speed would make a difference:)

I grew up in Billings. Transferred all over the northwest during my working career. Now I'm retired in the Black Hills. My wife has terrible asthma so I understand that too.
For hunting Montana would be best although South Dakota isn't too bad either.
For good living choose Rapid City. Just one humble opinion from someone who knows.

If Elk tags are your only requirement, then you best be headed to Billings. Some areas in SD (Like Custer) are almost a once in a lifetime draw. Montana has more hunting options for sure. The only animal that SD has over MT in my opinion is Antelope. That's it.

I grew up in Billings. Transferred all over the northwest during my working career. Now I'm retired in the Black Hills. My wife has terrible asthma so I understand that too.
For hunting Montana would be best although South Dakota isn't too bad either.
For good living choose Rapid City. Just one humble opinion from someone who knows.

That's super helpful thanks. Any recommendations on areas/neighborhoods to live? And does the area and climate help your wife?

For hunting, Billings hands down. OTC elk tags, hunting for them a reasonable drive. Montana has about every game you want with a few hours (ok many hours) driving. And in Billings you have easy access to WY for great antelope hunting.

I'd say Rapid City if you or the wife care about having more of the trappings of non-rural life. There isn't a lot around Billings.

Walker, beside the great hunting opportunities, the winter weather in Billings won't be as big a shock as Rapid City. I lived there for a few years and had a blast hunting and fishing. Good luck and congrats on the promotion.

We have lived in Minnesota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana(east and west), Idaho(north and south), Oregon, Washington.
My wife does better in Rapid City with asthma than all other places.
In Billings I'd get as far west as possible away from the refineries and sugar beet plant.
In Rapid City I'd go to the southwest neighborhoods if you must stay in town. Many great rural communities close to town.

Spent 4 years in college and worked in Rapid City for an additional 7 years. Have lived in Billings for the last 39 years.
- in terms of elk and any other hunting Billings has the advantage hands down.
- in terms of clean air the advantage goes to Rapid.

Either way the 2 towns are only 5 hours apart.

Rapid City without question. You can hunt where ever you want. But for living with a family rapid is the choice

Used to live in Montana, had family near the black hills. For all around life I would recommend Rapid city. If you could choose elsewhere in Montana that would be more desirable (Bozeman, Helena, Missoula, flat head area).

My boss just recently retired and with my move up has opened up a couple of options for a move if I choose. I'm in the Nashville area now and while my wife and I really like it, it's killing her allergies here even after almost two years of allergy shots. Albuquerque was on the list too but we've pretty much crossed it off.

The choices are either Billings, MT or Rapid City, SD. I have a 30-45 minute commute now so I'm willing to stay in that range as a max distance. Housing in Rapid City is more than I would have thought but other than that my research so far has both places pretty even.

Any info and advice is most appreciated and yes, being able to draw an Elk tag with the greatest speed would make a difference:)

As a military service family, we moved quite a bit during my career, and assignment choices has always been a family affair. Which of the two choices your wife s leaning to? You have to make the wife happy!

I was stationed in ABQ in 1996-2000. Out of your choices, it will be rated as last. I currently live in Great Falls and occasionally visit Billings. I have a friend and neighbor here in Great Falls that now lives in Rapid City since 2008 and they are really enjoying it.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.