Bill and Lerch's Buffalo Adventure

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Bill and Lerch\'s Buffalo Adventure

Well, the trip Lerch and I have been waiting on all fall has come and gone. While we have some decent places to hunt close to home, there was just something calling us to the wide open spaces of NW OK and a town called Buffalo.

I have some famaily there and they own several thousand acres. After going up once this past summer and looking @ the land, I knew our ability to shoot long range would give us a major advantage. The huge wheatfields and long, wooded draws seemed to be taylor made for LRH.

We arrived @ around 9:30 AM on Friday morning and immediatly went out to find a good vantage point. We had no more parked the truck than I spotted a small buck about 600 yds sneaking along the rim of a canyon. We watched him for a while but let him walk.

We then hopped the fence and set out on a hike. About 400 yds on the other side of the fence we spotted another small buck out about 500 yds. We let this one walk as well. This area is known for some monsters, so we wanted to be patient. We continued on our search for the perfect spot and settled on a rock outcrop that over looked a good portion of the draw.

After going into town, eating a bite and looking at a few of my uncle's other places, we returned to the outcrop @ around 2:30 PM. The spot looked perfect. We weren't there and hour when Lerch spotted a doe 1332 yards moving up a tree line. We set tight the entire evening but never saw another deer.

We did however observe some beer drinking idiots on top of a hill about a mile away. We watched them get in and out of their jeep drinking beer. Man, beer sure does make a guy have pee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! Of course they had no idea we had a 40x spotting scope and a video camera w/a 40x zoom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!!!! I bet these idiots shot 10-12 times over the course of the evening. They did have the decency to put on orange before they shot though. They were leaning out across the hood of the truck. I even saw one of them throw his arms up in disgust after shooting about 5 times. Responsible hunters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. It was no suprise to see one of them wearing a University of Oklahoma shirt!!

We were a bit dissapointed by Friday nights results so we decided to switch strategies. We decided to go up north of town to a full section that my uncle has. It is about 420 acres of wheat w/the rest being trees, scrub brush and grass. One of his hired hands said he jumped an 8 point while quail hunting there a few weeks back.

We parked along the road and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked. We finally got to a point in the middle of the wheat field where we thought we could see the most real estate. It was pretty foggy so it took us several times of setting up and looking around to reach this "best" spot. As the sun burned off the fog, we realized that we were a little closer to brush than we wanted but it would have to work.

Two coyotes showed themselves and made the morning go by rather quickly. Then, as I was glassing a grass waterway about 1000 yds away, I saw several deer trotting out into the field. I alerted Lerch and he quickly reported that the last one was a decent buck!!!

The buck was dogging about 7 or 8 does VERY hard. We watched them jump the fence onto the grass only to cross right back onto the wheat. I ranged the buck @ 751 yds as he stood next to the fence. Lerch dialed his scope only to see the buck start chasing a doe right towards us. I ranged him again @ 600 yds and Lerch dialed him in again only to have the buck move closer to us.

As the buck moved closer, Lerch decided he didn't want to take him. He was looking for something a little better. He didn't have to tell me twice. I rolled over and got behind my 300 RUM (yes, the 300, not the 270 AM, but that's another story). Lerch ranged the deer and confirmed it @ 503 yds. After letting a doe step clear, I sent a 240 SMK screaming, and I mean screaming on its way. That thing sounded like an artillary shell flying through the air!!! I got back on target just in time to see the buck spin and fall to loud thwack!!! He was down.

When we got up to the buck, he was still alive so I had to put another one in him to finish the job. I had hit him high w/the first shot. The bullet landed exactly where I was aiming. I just forgot to aim @ the offside shoulder as the deer was quartering towards me pretty hard. Gotta try and keep a clear head even in the caos, which I failed to do.

We hunted Sat. evening in a gail and only saw a few does. A couple of which were chased from the field by a tumbleweed!! Sometimes you forget just how weary they are. Lerch didn't bag anything but we both had a great time. The 270s will have to wait a week or so before they get to eat any venison.

Here's a pic of me with buck and my rifle.
BuffaloDeer2005002.jpg

Here is a pick of the exit wound. As you can see the SMK failed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!
BuffaloDeer2005003.jpg

Sorry, but the Buffalo adventure had nothing to do w/hunting buffalo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Have a good week,
B.J.

Re: Bill and Lerch\'s Buffalo Adventure

Bill:

Sounds like with a little more scouting that might be some fantastic long range country you have access to. From the looks of that landscape I don't think you'd have much use for an ACI around there. When I got to the part about the 1332 yard doe, I thought you were gonna get into some long range stuff but maybe next time.

Good looking deer and it's really too bad the SMK failed and hardly even made an exit hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Too bad Lerch didn't connect. Maybe next time. Keep us posted as I'm really looking forward to the 270 AM's performance on some deer. Your deer seasons are kinda weird. Up here pretty much everything is over and done with and your season is just about to start. Good luck and try and let Lerch shoot something next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats, Bill. Nice buck! That exit wound is, uhm..., inspirational. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Makes me want to poke a couple more deer with that big 240 SMK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but the Buffalo adventure had nothing to do w/hunting buffalo

[/ QUOTE ]

That was really some false advertising there.

It is always hard the first time in a new area to get a good spot where there are actually deer.

SS7MM,

we still have one more week of rifle season here and this weekend are doe days so HOPEFULLY i will get to shoot something. There were several times I could have shot doe's and stuff but I am either looking for a long range doe (800 +) or a wall hanger buck.

the 270 AM is done quite yet this year

take it easy
steve

Bill, nice buck, nice shot and tons of fun I suspect.
I'm suprized those lousy SMKs could drop a deer with such minor damage.( looks like a picture window was installed in that boy). good luck with the rest of your hunt. I hope you and Lerch get to pound one from the next zip code.
7mmRHB

Bill,

The 300 RUM got the ok over the 270, my heart is saddened today my friend.........

Just kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Great shot on a great buck!

Kirby Allen(50)

The only reason I didn't use the 270 AM is because it is getting fitted to my new A5!!! I wasn't expecting the stock until around Christmas but it came in a few weeks early!! The smith that is doing it assured me I would have it by Thanksgiving when I gave it to him but he didn't get to it in time. Don't worry, I've got two shells loaded and marked for a couple of does!!!! We'll get some results this weekend my friend.

i hope to not dissapoint you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i have 2 decent bucks hanging on my wall right now and I am just itching to give them a new friend to set beside them so I get fairly picky on what i am gonna shoot

i passed on a few doe's because I really wanted to get a long poke on one. I have one week left so this coming weekend is gonna get hit pretty hard.

take it easy
steve

Great story and Good Shot! Sounds like a great weekend to me. Man I'm itching to get some more hunting done.. But like someone else said our deer season is over.. Can't wait to see more pics of some deer and the new and improved 270AM! Thanks and good luck to you guys! give em hell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think Bj might be eating his words he said a long time ago about never using SMK's on game because they wouldnt expand.

You should have seen the hair blow off that sucker, it was impressive.

steve

I think Bj might be eating his words he said a long time ago about never using SMK's on game because they wouldnt expand.

You should have seen the hair blow off that sucker, it was impressive.

steve

Bob ,

Imagine my disappointment , I thought maybe I could trade some venison deer for some venison buffler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.