Biggest bull to date

The Amax has been deadly on everything I have used it on. I think it works well at the slower velocities of the .308. I have heard of them exploding when shot from a 300 WM or larger at close range. The bullet fragmented but left a devestating wound channel. So far I have taken elk at 50 yds and 300 yds with the 178 Amax. I have seen three other elk taken with the 168 Amax also from a .308 Win at 450 yds, 100 yds and 150 yds. Bullet performed well on all occasions.

Thanks for feedback.

The 155 Amax at 3,200 shoots very well in my 300H&H. Couldn't get them. Hornady said to use SST's - those were available but the don't shoot great in 300 H&H or 300 WM.

I had no options - shot a nice Coues WT at 335 yrds with 155 SST - baffling performance - only a few fragments in meat. No exit. Could not find the bullet.

I'm in search of "the bullet" that will fly well and perform. Both barrels (Rugers) are probably not the best.

Match bullets (175 Sierra's) fly MOA. Many times the 1st 2 rounds are 1/2 MOA - then open up - assume its the barrel heating up.

Shorter bullets 150's shoot better than longer 180 TSX or Nosler ETip - the 1 in 10 twist should stabilize all.

Almost getting frustrating.... :)

Cheers for your feedback mate,
I hope he eats as well as he looks! Lots of meat there for sure.

Regards,

Mog

After warm temps and a tough hunt I was able to take this great bull right before the end of the season. Happened upon him in the trees and took him with one shot using .308 Win and 178gr Amax at 50yrds.
I'm sorry but I'm so hard I'm choking to death reading that......

What an amazing animal, congrats!!!

All the time we spend here working our buts off to "be the best we can be at long range", all the money and time we put into it, all the discussions about "the perfect long range elk caliber, rifle, etc" and you go kill a monster at BB gun range with the venerable old .308.

FANTASTIC!

You can't beat hard work and blind luck when they come together.

Looking at him I'd have probably had "Bull Fever" so bad I'd have wet my pants and shot my left foot off!

Thanks for sharing.

The Amax has been deadly on everything I have used it on. I think it works well at the slower velocities of the .308. I have heard of them exploding when shot from a 300 WM or larger at close range. The bullet fragmented but left a devestating wound channel. So far I have taken elk at 50 yds and 300 yds with the 178 Amax. I have seen three other elk taken with the 168 Amax also from a .308 Win at 450 yds, 100 yds and 150 yds. Bullet performed well on all occasions.
Did you get a pass through or just an entrance? Punching bone or just through the ribs?

Thanks for feedback.

The 155 Amax at 3,200 shoots very well in my 300H&H. Couldn't get them. Hornady said to use SST's - those were available but the don't shoot great in 300 H&H or 300 WM.

I had no options - shot a nice Coues WT at 335 yrds with 155 SST - baffling performance - only a few fragments in meat. No exit. Could not find the bullet.

I'm in search of "the bullet" that will fly well and perform. Both barrels (Rugers) are probably not the best.

Match bullets (175 Sierra's) fly MOA. Many times the 1st 2 rounds are 1/2 MOA - then open up - assume its the barrel heating up.

Shorter bullets 150's shoot better than longer 180 TSX or Nosler ETip - the 1 in 10 twist should stabilize all.

Almost getting frustrating.... :)
Try the Hornady Interbond, Swift SciroccoII and Nosler Accubond. One of those or all should perform well for you.

Make sure your barrel is completely free floated even with a little pressure on the fore end.

I free floated - not much change. Added a Hicks Accurizer to the Ruger No 1. Been playing with upward pressure. Fire lapped. Some improvement.

I've learned that Ruger has a generous lead in the throat. So I will experiment with OAL next - trying to seat the bullet much closer to lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.