Nevada Bull

Just took my first Bull 2 days ago here in Nevada. Tough conditions and lack of elk was making it rough. What elk we could spot were high around 9000ft. This bull showed up out of nowhere hanging out with some horses, and I was able to make it happen. It was one hell of a pack out with just me and my dad in the dark at 8°F, so grateful and a hunt Ill never forget.

(6.5x284 with 140 Berger VLDs)

View attachment 224861View attachment 224862
What a beauty!

Just took my first Bull 2 days ago here in Nevada. Tough conditions and lack of elk was making it rough. What elk we could spot were high around 9000ft. This bull showed up out of nowhere hanging out with some horses, and I was able to make it happen. It was one hell of a pack out with just me and my dad in the dark at 8°F, so grateful and a hunt Ill never forget.

I gave my early model Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 to Michael of Mountain Man Outfitters out there after a successful mule deer hunt as his tip, as he appreciated the cartridge's capability and the solid camo stock that predated the ugly black Accu-Stock. He used it as a loaner to hunters with HSM ammo loaded with 140gr Bergers. He reported a Hunter the following month used that set up to take a huge 6x7 bull at a ranged 467 yards... The 6.5x284N is NO JOKE! It actually duplicates or exceeds the velocity of my custom 6.5 PRC with much more consistent accuracy.

Very nice elk, sir! I'm sure the conditions out there haven't improved since this time of year in 2014, which was 3 years into a severe drought then, according to the guide. I know exactly the type of hard hunting you had to do. Our location went to 9,000 ft, as well. We were northwest of Winnemucca.

What people don't realize is there are world class deer and elk out there if you have the time and stamina to find them. I saw a 4x4 mulie taken by a young guy from PA while I was there that you could fit anything taken off the Arizona Strip in the last 10 years inside of. That deer was something over 36" wide. (YES 3 feet+, not a typo meaning 26!) The guy just boxed the cape up and flew it back and left the meat for the guides. Best meat I ever had, personally. I can only imagine how good your elk will taste... especially when you recall your efforts to bag him! Well done, sir!!

Congrats on a very nice bull! Beautiful country and glad you got to share the hunt and memories with your pops. Not much better than that. And BTW, the golden rule of thumb with elk is dont stop shooting until they are done moving! Elk can cover a lot of ground when wounded on adrenaline, or 3 legs, or whatever. Ya did just fine!

Good job,

The nevada drawing system.... I've put in for nevada elk for 22 years now without a draw. supposedly lots of points. Duck is up to 6 years and antelope is at 9 years. I end up going out of state.
I'm right their with you I have been applying for 23 years now for bull. With this luck it will be my only bull hunt in Nevada when I finally draw.

Not much different here in Oregon. A good bull tag takes 20 years as a resident, bow or rifle. Just plain stupid if you ask me. Tired of this no good liberal state, cant wait to get TF out of here.

CONGRATS!

It's all coming to that waiting for tags on the draw. To dam many wolves out there. Now stupid people are going put the wolves in Colo. They have moved into Oregon and Mex-lifornia now. Idaho setup out of state application . All gone in a few hours for out of staters. To bad, To bad, as some friends of mine would say.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.