Big Eye Spotting Scope Brackets

JeremyKS

Im considering buying one of the following, Doctor 30x,40x,25-50x, Kowa Highlanders, or having two spotting scopes mounted side by side. This will be used for long range glassing. I have looked through 40x and 25-50x doctors and like them but they lack the clarity of my Swarovski 20-60x80 spotter has. Im told the Kowa is better in clarity but I don't like the angled eye pieces for long periods of glassing.

Does anybody have a pair of spotting scopes mounted side by side in brackets? I have been told that it is not the way to go as the collimation is easily knocked out of alignment. I would think with a good quality bracket this would not be a problem? I would really like to go the bracket route but they must be able to take some abuse as they will be bouncing around in a pelican case in the back of Polaris ranger quite a bit.

Anybody have some experience with them?

i HAVE A SET OF tsn822 in a bracket I use...I love them. I carry mine in a hard case all over and have minimal problams withh them coming out..if the do I carry a allen wrench with me and put them right back in..it only takes about two minutes

It's custom made...Kevin at montour county rifles makes them

He does brackets for bushnells, kowas, nikons and weavers...also the older celstrons.

Kevin makes a good bracket, and has made quite a few over the years.

Here's a few pictures of a set of my big eyes with the bracket that I made when I had some extra time on my hands...

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Thanks Gene. I've personally never tried the Rogue River glass, but heard mixed reviews from a few guys that have. I have no need to look any further than my Leica set.. No pun intended..:rolleyes:

about 15 years ago one of my grandsons dumped a set of spacemasters off the tripod. the quick disconnect hadnt been properly locked in. they bounced about 50' down the hill. when he brought them back to our location i examined them. some dings and scratches but no broken glass. they were way out of allignment however. within a half hour he was back in business glassing. were still using those glasses.
had that been a set of doctors i would have been in tears and they would have gone back to the factory for expensive repairs.
nothing beats scopes in a bracket for hunting.

nice setup joel, did you get my email?

It's hard to beat a quality set of glass in a good bracket.

Ernie.. give me a call during the day sometime, we'll catch up on things.. sorry I missed you..

Nice job on the bracket. Actually Randy Yohn is the guy who pretty much perfected the brackets, and many now days have been patterned after his.
Tell most guys here that those old Bushnells are as popular/good as they are for that purpose and they will no doubt think you've lost it. But that's only because they've never looked or compared. Nice setup, for sure all you need for where you are or pretty much anywhere. What for eyepieces are you using?

I bought the 1 spotter with 1 -22 wide. The other spotter I bought came with a 20x and a 40x.
I searched for about 6 months for a match to my 22w and finally found 1. So right now, I have 3 pair of matching eyepiece's . 22w, 25x, and 40x. I have a spare 20x also I may sell.. the 22w are nice but I haven't got to glass with the 22's much . I'll see what set I like better between the 22w and 25x . The 40x set I like being able to watch a chipmunk **** at 600 yards ! Lol it is nice having the 40x to really eyeball something though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.