Better option for hand depriming tool

i use the lee hand press (#90685)- pretty cheap (got mine new for $34 + $6 shipping)--seen them as low as $28 on sale-- and can be used in several ways -- depriming, priming, seating bullet, possibly sizing even (can get a little tough when case size gets bigger due to leverage issues) --keeps the dirt/gunk from depriming out of your good press too

just use your std case holder with it and the universal depriming die to deprime almost any cartridge

Looking for a better option for hand depriming. I looked at the frankford arsenal tool and it seems a lot of people don't like it because the cases get stuck on the pin. I am tired of using my press due to trying to chase primers falling.
I use the deprive toil in my press but they make a primer catcher for a couple of dollars that solves your problem !

i use the lee hand press (#90685)- pretty cheap (got mine new for $34 + $6 shipping)--seen them as low as $28 on sale-- and can be used in several ways -- depriming, priming, seating bullet, possibly sizing even (can get a little tough when case size gets bigger due to leverage issues) --keeps the dirt/gunk from depriming out of your good press too

just use your std case holder with it and the universal depriming die to deprime almost any cartridge
Same here. Works just fine. Universal decapping die and appropriate shell holder and I can deprive to my heart's content wherever I happen to be.

I have been using the Frankford Arsenal depriming tool for a few years and ain't ever had a lick of problems with it. Matter of fact, it almost makes depriming fun. I have used it on every thing from 22 Hornet up to 375 H&H. I haven't done any of the 460 Wby cases yet, so not sure how it will work on those.

Just check the primer catching thing to make sure it doesn't dislodge during the middle of it all and you wind up having used primers all over the floor. Ask me how I learned this!!!

I use the Sinclair hand primer for 30-06 size heads and the newer RCBS universal model for everything else including 416 Rigby. The Sinclair is the Rolls Royce of hand primers as regards feel, IMO, and the RCBS is super convenient, has a tray and has good feel too. Neither one hangs up on me.

I use the Sinclair hand primer for 30-06 size heads and the newer RCBS universal model for everything else including 416 Rigby. The Sinclair is the Rolls Royce of hand primers as regards feel, IMO, and the RCBS is super convenient, has a tray and has good feel too. Neither one hangs up on me.
As someone mentioned before, the OP isn't interested in PRIMING, just DEPRIMING.

Neil Jones hand decapper. Just get with single (any cartridge shellholder and PPC pin.
You only need to catch a corner of casehead against shellholder (to stop it) while decapping.
Deprime towards trash can.
Nothing complicated needed in this operation.

Last edited:
My brother bought a .338LM and I was guiding him as he started his reloading journey. A lot of the press mounted universal decapping dies appeared to not be wide enough to accommodate the case size so he picked up the Frankford Arsenal depriming tool to be certain. I tried it myself during his first session and it works slicker than snot.

I went out the next day and bought the last one on the shelf for myself. Neither of us has ever had any trouble with them.

Maybe I'm lucky but I've used the Frankford tool now for years. Never had a case stick on the pin yet. Probably 1500+ rds through it at this point.

I was at the range a couple weeks ago and noticed a guy depriming his brass while awaiting his barrel to cool between strings and tossing the spent primers into the range trash can. I thought, What a time saver so I asked...it was the Frankfort A tool. Gotta get me one.

Looking for a better option for hand depriming. I looked at the frankford arsenal tool and it seems a lot of people don't like it because the cases get stuck on the pin. I am tired of using my press due to trying to chase primers falling.
I use the RCBS and I have never had a single case get stuck. I have deprimed thousands with it, from 223 up to 300 WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.