Hand Depriming

a buddy has one. I'll ask him and drop a you a note. He likes it, he can sit, watch TV, and knock out primers on the couch. There's one on the web: www.harveydeprimer.com, that looks like the one he uses.

You know, I really hate it when I wind up cruising sites like this and it costs me money! Looks like a pretty nifty tool, gonna have to order one. ****!

I like the Neil Jones hand decapper.
If you order one, just get mandrel for PPC & it'll work for anything. I only use an edge of the shellholder rather than fully encapsuling the casehead.

The Harvey deprimer is awesome. it just takes a little practice and you can establish a good work flow. I follow it up with stainless tumbling. Just a word of caution on lead poisoning by spent primers on the couch in front of the TV. You might inadvertently be exposing your entire family to unnecessary lead. Now if they just made an attachment to hook a press into the toilet paper holder.....

So I guess I won't be mounting my Dillon on the end table.
db

That will depend entirely on your marital relationship.:D:D:D.... and to a lesser extent, the quality of your rnd tables.....

No BS, but I reload on the kitchen island with my Rockchucker and powder measure attached to a wooden plank and the plank C clamped (carefully) to the counter top. No issue from the missus...yet.

I won't attempt resizing anything, just bullet seating and crimp. I'd probably come away with a hunk of countertop (resizing) and a pending divorice.

Even though we've been married over 40 years, I don't think I would try that. We have our own space and reloading in the kitchen is not my area. I have pushed the envelope by cleaning my rifles on the dining room table, but that is usually when she is gone. I did have a panic moment a couple weeks ago when I dripped on the linnen tablecloth, but the stain came out and was dry before she got home. Please don't tell. LOL
db

Well, I ordered a Harvey. The deprimer, not the rabbit. Thanks for the heads up about the lead. I have been more careful with reloading for the last couple years especially when I noticed a grey powder all over the room when moly coating a batch of bullets. Live and learn I guess.
db

Let us know how you like it.

It looks a little more compact than the NJ one. Little less $$ too.
I've never seen one of the Harveys in use. Didn't even know there was such a company.

Several videos on YouTube showing it in action. I can confirm it is built really well. Just takes a bit to learn to feel where the flash hole lines up. Fits in my range bag and I deprime on the bench or the field and come home ready to tumble.

Came today and WOW, what a piece. This must be the updated version because the main body is one piece aluminum alloy of some sort. No shell holders needed. Wish someone had made these 30 years ago. Won't be using my arbor press or 550 to decap anymore and if you want to clean the cases before resizing, this is the ticket. It's small enough to fit in a pocket. Decap anywhere, especially boring activities like political fundraising, watching TV, like when the CUBS play, or even taking a bath, gets you AND the brass clean. No more bent or broken pins in your sizing die either. Will go into the pouch next to the Sinclair hand primer. The decapping rod looks like any standard rod so I suspect the couple I have with my press will fit also but can't imagine breaking or wearing one out. It's a lifetime piece. Get one, you won't be disapointed. Even long cases like the .338 Lapua fits.
db

I like the picture on their website... punching through a dime. My RCBS decapper die would cry over that shot.

My Wilson is primitive but unbreakable as well. My wife uses it to open wanut shells.

Sometimes simpler is better, maybe thats why I don't have a Dillon.:D

Came today and WOW, what a piece. This must be the updated version because the main body is one piece aluminum alloy of some sort. No shell holders needed. Wish someone had made these 30 years ago. Won't be using my arbor press or 550 to decap anymore and if you want to clean the cases before resizing, this is the ticket. It's small enough to fit in a pocket. Decap anywhere, especially boring activities like political fundraising, watching TV, like when the CUBS play, or even taking a bath, gets you AND the brass clean. No more bent or broken pins in your sizing die either. Will go into the pouch next to the Sinclair hand primer. The decapping rod looks like any standard rod so I suspect the couple I have with my press will fit also but can't imagine breaking or wearing one out. It's a lifetime piece. Get one, you won't be disapointed. Even long cases like the .338 Lapua fits.
db

Impressive report and Thank You!:)

I too was impressed by the picture of it punching through a dime....Do you feel that it's really that stout, now that you've got one in your hand??

Impressive report and Thank You!:)

I too was impressed by the picture of it punching through a dime....Do you feel that it's really that stout, now that you've got one in your hand??

Yes it is. The "handle" is 3/16" thick. The portion of the handle where the case base rests is 1/2" thick. The "ram" that holds the decapping pin is 3/8". Looks like a milled product probably from bar stock. Can't see any mold seams. My Sinclair hand primer is over $100. That may be apples and oranges, but I believe this is a buy.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.