Need better hand loads

clamb4

Hello all, I am new to this site. I have been reading the different post for about a week and have learned a lot. The more I learn the more questions the new knowledge raises.

Some background, I have been hunting and shooting for a longtime. I have been reloading for 20 years and have been hunting out of state (Calif.) for 20 years, mostly Wyoming for mule deer. I have been in situations in Wyoming where shots have been available at around 500 yards that I have passed up because I was not confident enough in my ability and equipment to take the shot at a breathing animal at this distance. So I started looking for information that would make me able to shoot out to around 600yards on deer and elk. Then I found this site and I hit the mother load.

I have 3 rifles,
.338 win mag. Interarms mark x, with pac nor barrel, McMillan stock, mussel brake, shoots ¾ to ½ moa most of the time.
7mm rem mag. Wentworth interarms factory barrel, McMillan stock, shoot 5/8 to 1 moa most of the time.
280 AI. Interarms mark x, with pac nor barrel, Ramline stock, shoots ¾ moa.
All rifles are glass bedded.
All rifles are topped with 3 x 9 x 40 scopes. But I just bought a Burris fullfield 4.5 x 14 x 42 with the ballistic plex recital and then sent it off to have target turrets installed at the factory ($ 80). Have not got it back yet. I was going to put this scope on the .338 win. with Burris signature ring with -10 or -20 moa offset whichever seems to be needed.

I hope to do better with the things I am learning from this site. I generally shoot 3 shot groups figuring for a hunting rifle this should be good enough. The above accuracy would be fine I think even for long range shooting except I get a lot of flyers on the .338 and the 7 mm not as many with the 280 AI. The flyers open up my groups to 1 to 1.5 moa.
I have been reading about OCW and thought I would give it a try. Maybe my loads are not very stable. What powders are the least temp sensitive and fill the cases at around max load. What would you suggest for powder and bullet combos for these three rifles the .338 is my favorite.
Also I never sorted brass by weight or volume or weighted bullets, or turned necks or even measured necks, but I think I should start doing that after reading the posts on this sight.
I have never shot a deer past 290 yards (I ranged it with a Bushnell 1000) but I would like to remedy that with a little help from you guys. Thanks.

Well it sound to me like the 280Ai would be your best bet to try to score on one of those 500yd mulies , if you can get a 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip to shoot well I believe that this would be a good set up , even if your barrel is 24" you should be able to get 2900fps out of it that matched with the highish bc of the Ballistic tip should be a good bet.
the biggest pert of this equasion is going to be spending time at the 500yd range getting used to shooting from differant positions.

As for the better hand loads , if it were me I would get 100 pieces of Lapua 30-06 brass and fire form it then when you resize your brass only resize the necks. when you seat youi bullets try to seat them out far enough to touch the lands in the barrel or what just long enough to fit the mag box. R-22 is a good powder to use in the 280Ai case I've seen several that liked it and it'll give you just about the best velocity

I don't know about your personal Interarms but every one of them that I have ever handled with a factory trigger diden't shoot nearly as well as after the trigger was replaced. The tend to be rough long and heavy Timiney makes a good one for about $75

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.